C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Just watched the Canes game tonight and Kotkaniemi is much more impressive than Svechnikov. I know it's only one regular season game, but I would've give my left nut for the Habs to find a way to draft Svechnikov last june. Never I, in my wildest dream, would have imagine that I would be saying this after 1 regular season game.

Things can change and Svechnikov is a stud, but man it feels good. :yo:

Reactions: CapSpace

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I know there's no count but I imagine most blueline plays don't result in breakaways considering there are nights when the entire league doesn't see a breakaway as a result of a pokecheck/giveaway

You can convince me of a lot of things... but not that blueline miscues do not result in a lot of odd man rushes in the game of hockey.

Also... Not sure how his peripherals can focus on desperately saving the puck from going past the blue line, avoiding his oncoming Montreal player and being aware of where Kapanen is (especially considering Kapanen is almost directly behind him for most of the play)... all at the same time and all in a matter of 3 seconds from time video starts to him pivoting corralling the puck.

....this is without even addressing you calling it a basic 4th liner play.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was ok? I have to disagree here....

18 year old Kotkaniemi had a 68.8 CF% against Matthews and Tavares all night.
That is insane. @BWildeGlobal
— Patrick Tallon (@PatrickTallon81) October 4, 2018

do you think the leafs played a good game? do you think that's what their offense is going to look like? It's not like Kokta was all over the ice shutting them down or making great plays in his own end. I'm not a fan of advanced stats, I watched the game and thought he was ok.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
do you think the leafs played a good game? do you think that's what their offense is going to look like? It's not like Kokta was all over the ice shutting them down or making great plays in his own end. I'm not a fan of advanced stats, I watched the game and thought he was ok.

Toronto didn't look good 5 on 5 for most of the game. Maybe they didn't give all they had to give, maybe Kotka and Montreal played well, maybe a little bit of both?
One thing is sure, Kotka once again showed he's capable at the nhl level! I'm really curious to see what they do with him after 9 games tho. Even if he looks good, I personnally think it could be better to send him back.

Reactions: Acadien86

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal

he was ok but was incridible in some actions and THAT level of quality and vision combined with elite positioning and anticipation he doesnt need to flash often to proove many expert of the not very distant dominance he could do.

he doesnt need to be skating like hell, cause for him its useless. it will be interesting to see to what level he can bring his game. I truly havent seem such a skillset in montreal in the last 25 years. he has some kind of control on the puck its something to see... dispite how raw and refined his stickhandling is at the same time. so weird to explain I not used to elite talent obviously (at Center at least) in Montreal lol.

Kotkaniemi is really like and eagle out in the sky making circles lurking for the puck and when it is within his reach he will dive and without you knowing it its been taken away..

that's Kotka (Eagle) right there.

i am exited.. thats doesnt mean he should stay all year tough.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Just watched the Canes game tonight and Kotkaniemi is much more impressive than Svechnikov. I know it's only one regular season game, but I would've give my left nut for the Habs to find a way to draft Svechnikov last june. Never I, in my wildest dream, would have imagine that I would be saying this after 1 regular season game.

Things can change and Svechnikov is a stud, but man it feels good. :yo:

Thats hfboards

Svechnikov had an assist

He was just as good as kotka

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I just hope he doesn't return to Finland. His team is terrible. If he doesn't play full season in the NHL, I hope he'll go to the AHL.
No way he isn’t going to want to go and try save his daddy, if he will be dropped from the NHL lineup. And I’m pretty sure that Montreal will respect his will if that will be the situation. There are still that many positives for the Habs, if he goes to play in Finland. Anyway, he will for sure get loads of ice time and responsibility playing for Ässät.

Reactions: Loffer and LAINEC

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
No way he isn’t going to want to go and try save his daddy, if he will be dropped from the NHL lineup. And I’m pretty sure that Montreal will respect his will if that will be the situation. There are still that many positives for the Habs, if he goes to play in Finland. Anyway, he will for sure get loads of ice time and responsibility playing for Ässät.
Yeah, it makes sense but I don't know how long his father can keep his job anyway. Maybe he will be fired before Jesperi even can come back. Still I don't like the idea for him to play for absolutely terrible team. Ok, it didn't hurt Rantanen so maybe it would be good.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I would send him down. He doesn't look out of place and is contributing, which is amazing for an 18yo. But he is not driving the line. I think he could stand to gain strength and offensive confidence, get to handle the puck and drive the play more. Unless Habs are not trying to develop his offensive game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would send him down. He doesn't look out of place and is contributing, which is amazing for an 18yo. But he is not driving the line. I think he could stand to gain strength and offensive confidence, get to handle the puck and drive the play more. Unless Habs are not trying to develop his offensive game.
He is driving his line though.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
So literally no reason to send him down, really. Let him develop in the NHL if he can handle it.

Reactions: David Suzuki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad