C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Oh wow. I added something of value in this conversation by stopping the 20th debate in the last 3 months on how Kotkaniemi was drafted higher than he should have been. It's getting old now. People need to realize that he is a project, it's pretty obvious and well known. Im sure I'm not the only one that isn't interested in hearing about how these other guys would be better picks than him everytime he hasn't performed, it kills the thread.

I'm sorry to have upset you but this is a prospect board, people debate on where players were drafted all the time without anyone getting triggered. Where this kid was drafted will follow him around, it's the nature of the draft.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm sorry to have upset you but this is a prospect board, people debate on where players were drafted all the time without anyone getting triggered. Where this kid was drafted will follow him around, it's the nature of the draft.
Yeah, but this one is getting old and its only been 2 months. We get it, Kotkaniemi was the 15th ranked prospect on your list, hes a reach, were, mostly, fine with it.

Reactions: Acadien86

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, he's Finnish so I'd love to be positive but I never saw a player being even close to 3OA level in him. Still, he's young and might be better next season. But for people who expect an actual 1C out of him, I just don't know...

It wasn't exactly unexpected that he wasn't very impressive.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Yeah, but this one is getting old and its only been 2 months. We get it, Kotkaniemi was the 15th ranked prospect on your list, hes a reach, were, mostly, fine with it.

So when people say Habs fans hate Kotkaniemi we aren't allowed to jump in and say that's wrong, gotcha. Don't want to trigger anyone else.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

You seem to be the only one triggered here; just look at your post history on this matter. But hey, like you said it is a prospect board. That being said, I'll be right here, having the same opinion and answers to the people who whine about how much of a reach he is and how Zadina and Tkachuk have a better season than him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would be surprised if he doesn't become 2C at least. Has more potential offensively than Mikko Koivu.
I really don't understand how someone watches Kotkaniemi and comes out with the conclusion that he "only" has 2C potential.

The guy is quite multidimensional in his offense and his toolbox is overflowing. He has a great shot than can beat you from anywhere, hands as quick as anyone out there, and his passing is, pretty much, elite. People like to choose to think a guy that has two-way acumen doesn't have the offensive ability of other players that don't, but that's incredibly wrong.

Reactions: Ippenator

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
Jesperi has been improving steadily from outing to outing, and tonight was his best showing in the most important game he's played to date. I was very eager to see him play a pre-season game, he definitely exceed my expectations.

I've been sold on the idea of him needing a full year at center in, preferably, Finland or alternatively Laval; but if the trend continues he's going to get a 10 game stint with the Habs and then who knows....?

This kid is doing much better than I thought he would, and what's interesting is that when you watch him play right now you can tell there's a lot of room for growth.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Not saying he will be as good as either of them but his playing style is like a mix between Jason Spezza and Patrice Bergeron. He's a skilled player with incredible awareness all over the ice.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I really don't understand how someone watches Kotkaniemi and comes out with the conclusion that he "only" has 2C potential.

The guy is quite multidimensional in his offense and his toolbox is overflowing. He has a great shot than can beat you from anywhere, hands as quick as anyone out there, and his passing is, pretty much, elite. People like to choose to think a guy that has two-way acumen doesn't have the offensive ability of other players that don't, but that's incredibly wrong.

Well last year he played wing and he is not a great skater. So I can easily see why people see him as a 2nd line center.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think it all depends on how much he’s able to improve his strength and skating. He has the frame to add weight, and the athleticism to improve as a skater, so will be interesting to follow.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Was at the game tonight. He's got good vision good passing. He needs to mature as a player he's a bit raw but definitely I can see some upside there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad