C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My opinion is that I think Smith will be the best of the three. He gets so much undeserved hate.

I think Perreault has slightly higher upside because of better scoring ability. Perreault might be one of those guys that keeps elevating and elevating before he hits 100 points and you’re wondering how that happened. It’s not likely, but I wouldn’t rule it out. Smith will bring more value elsewhere. I wouldn’t totally rule out he could reach similar offensive totals, but likely even more unlikely than Perreault.

Leonard will be a valuable NHL’er, but the way he ends up the best is if the other two bust. Leonard won’t totally bust. I think either a second or third line winger. He tries to play a power forward game, but lacks a little of the frame needed for it. He won’t drive play and his playmaking isn’t the best. I think he could struggle a little once he’s playing on a different line, but he has definite NHL traits. The skating, stick skills, shot, play in the corners, and defensive ability will all translate to the NHL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
1g, 1a so far in the first period. His goal was a bit lucky in that his attempted cross ice pass was batted right back to him but his hands in tight were on display after that when he roofed it.

The BC trio have all been excellent this year but man are they ever flying post-WJC.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Dude is being carried by his linemates to the Hobey Baker award.
This is a pretty massive stretch. They’re all contributing to each others success in a pretty massive way and they’re also more than capable of creating their own chances. Perrault’s goal Friday night on the PP is a pretty good example of this. He also had a great give and go last weekend. There are a ton of other examples of this for all 3 of them. I still don’t understand so many people on here pitting them up against each other rather than talking more about how complimentary each of their playstyles are to eachother

A couple other things to note, he flat out looks much faster than he did at the beginning of the year. He’s beating players to pucks he never would have at the beginning of the year. I don’t see a massive change in his stride so I’ll attribute it more to an increase in strength and adjustment to the speed at this level than anything else

Last thing, he’s now killing penalties for them. I’m sure some of that is due to some injuries and availability but I thought he looked pretty good on the PK this weekend. BC has a very aggressive and active PK so forwards have a lot of responsibility there and he hasn’t looked out of place doing it at all. Great sign for his defensive development

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is a pretty massive stretch. They’re all contributing to each others success in a pretty massive way and they’re also more than capable of creating their own chances. Perrault’s goal Friday night on the PP is a pretty good example of this. He also had a great give and go last weekend. There are a ton of other examples of this for all 3 of them. I still don’t understand so many people on here pitting them up against each other rather than talking more about how complimentary each of their playstyles are to eachother

A couple other things to note, he flat out looks much faster than he did at the beginning of the year. He’s beating players to pucks he never would have at the beginning of the year. I don’t see a massive change in his stride so I’ll attribute it more to an increase in strength and adjustment to the speed at this level than anything else

Last thing, he’s now killing penalties for them. I’m sure some of that is due to some injuries and availability but I thought he looked pretty good on the PK this weekend. BC has a very aggressive and active PK so forwards have a lot of responsibility there and he hasn’t looked out of place doing it at all. Great sign for his defensive development
I’m apparently not good at internet sarcasm.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think he is in a great situation because the Rangers don't need him immediately but will in about 2 years.

The Rangers don’t need right wing help? Kakko and Vesey is quite a shakey middle 6 at RW.

Don’t be surprised if Perreault goes pro after this season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers don’t need right wing help? Kakko and Vesey is quite a shakey middle 6 at RW.

We’re going to probably trade for a RW at the deadline after we did so the last two.

You don’t want to rush Perreault because of that, but it will be nice when we aren’t trading for a RW at the trade deadline.

Only if Kravtsov didn’t bust, we never traded Buch because of our “great RW depth” and Kakko ended up more successful than he has.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

He shouldn't go pro, but who knows with the Rangers. They love rushing their 1st round picks.

Kakko seems to be turning it around since returning from the injury, I'm more than happy seeing what he can do the remainder of the year/playoffs.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He shouldn't go pro, but who knows with the Rangers. They love rushing their 1st round picks.

Kakko seems to be turning it around since returning from the injury, I'm more than happy seeing what he can do the remainder of the year/playoffs.
I actually hope both his linemates go pro and he stays another year. I’d like to see him develop without them for a single season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I actually hope both his linemates go pro and he stays another year. I’d like to see him develop without them for a single season.
I'd love for him to be "the guy" on BC as well. Cutter is definitely going pro next season too so it will be the Gabe show all season.

But truthfully i'd also love to see that line again at the WJCs and just flat out dominate the competition being a year older.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Since coming back from the WJC, he has 25 points in 13 games. BC has as anywhere from 7-12 games left depending on how they do in Hockey East playoffs and NCAAs. Should have a decent shot at 70 points

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wait am I allowed to hijack this thread to ask about Will Smith? One point behind the legendary Gabe Perreault for the NCAA scoring lead. Cool to see both dominating and hope they win the tournament.

I'm pretty sure Will Smith is still viewed as the superior prospect with his draft position being a pretty big tie breaker. And his thread has far more posts in it.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We’re going to probably trade for a RW at the deadline after we did so the last two.

You don’t want to rush Perreault because of that, but it will be nice when we aren’t trading for a RW at the trade deadline.

Only if Kravtsov didn’t bust, we never traded Buch because of our “great RW depth” and Kakko ended up more successful than he has.
We didn't trade Buchnevich BECASUE of our RW depth. That is just flat out wrong. We traded him because we were cap strapped, he was easiest to move AND we had great RW depth.

• Love
Reactions: bleedblue94

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We didn't trade Buchnevich BECASUE of our RW depth. That is just flat out wrong. We traded him because we were cap strapped, he was easiest to move AND we had great RW depth.
To be fair, we could have kept Buch. The cap space we saved by trading him went to sign Trocheck.

I'm not upset that we traded him. The problem was how little Drury got for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if we were to be more precise, it was probably some of both. The perceived depth and the cap.

Anyway, in hindsight that spot is the real problem spot for the organization. Having to trade for another center because Chytil had unexpected injuries is what it is and no one is to blame. After having Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Kakko, Fast, we should've been able to solve RW. We shouldn't have been trading for Vatrano, Copp, Tarasenko, Kane, and whatever we do this season.

I hope Perreault and Othmann can solve some of that for the last couple of years of the current core. RW has cost us in a lot of ways the last few years.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad