C/W Gabe Perreault - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 23rd, NYR)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Nobody should be surprised. Gabe entered the NCAA as the all time single season USNTDP points record holder. More than Matthews, Hughes, Kane, etc. He’s a production machine with 100 point NHL potential.

It's shocking how far he fell.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm very excited. Exactly what we need. We need some secondary scoring punch to take pressure off the big forwards, and he will provide that, and possibly more.

The question will be when that occurs. Might not be until the very end of next season.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a BC fan I think Perreault is the smoothest forward they have had since Johnny Gaudreau. Will Smith and Ryan Leonard might be viewed as better overall prospects but Perreault is silky.
I think Smith is better, but I’ve never agreed about Leonard. He will definitely be an NHL player, but the other two guys just score a lot more than him. Now that we’ve arrived at the point where all three will almost certainly be NHL players I think the higher floor thing is starting to run out and he’s just worse. He’ll have a role and contribute, but I see him as middle 6, while the other two will be middle 6 if they don’t pan out, yet have clear first line potential because of their scoring ability.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think Smith is better, but I’ve never agreed about Leonard. He will definitely be an NHL player, but the other two guys just score a lot more than him. Now that we’ve arrived at the point where all three will almost certainly be NHL players I think the higher floor thing is starting to run out and he’s just worse. He’ll have a role and contribute, but I see him as middle 6, while the other two will be middle 6 if they don’t pan out, yet have clear first line potential because of their scoring ability.
Leonard is only one goal behind Smith and has more than Perreault. But I was just talking about hands/skill. Perreault has both those guys beat in that one area.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leonard is only one goal behind Smith and has more than Perreault. But I was just talking about hands/skill. Perreault has both those guys beat in that one area.
Right, I understand. I'm contributing my opinion that there's a separation. Goals are part of the equation. Assists are also. Through the last two seasons when they've been glued to each other, what we see is that Smith and Perreault run it close for points, and then Leonard trails behind. Leonard lacks the passing to be a line driver. I guess Washington and some that had him top 10 were going for that he can still be a complimentary first line winger. I'm still not sold on that. I see him slotting in as a complimentary second line winger, if it goes well. And a complimentary third line winger, if it doesn't.

The drafting separation is that small wingers with average or worse skating scare NHL teams. Look where Cristall went. Meanwhile, forwards with skating and grit go higher than their potential suggests. NHL teams are risk-averse. I think if their draft positions were flopped it would've made sense. Smith went about where he should've, but he still does need work to reach his potential.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s also second in the NCAA in PPG, only behind McGroarty. Three top 10 picks on his team, including two in the top 5, and he’s outscoring them by 2, 5, and 8 points in the same number of games. This dude can score.

He’s exactly what the Rangers need this year at the TDL. It’s tempting to not waste a first or second round pick on someone who is probably worse than Perreault right now anyway.

At the same time, he’s potentially not ready. It’s probably best to not ruin something great to fix a short-term need, even if it’ll cost you not too.

And we have Othmann who will likely be starting next season in the top 9. Is there room for both starting their first full season at the same time in the top 9?

But I have to say that ordinarily if we were talking about third in points in the NCAA and second in PPG we probably wouldn’t be saying this player is not ready to move up to a better league next season. Something to think about.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
He’s also second in the NCAA in PPG, only behind McGroarty. Three top 10 picks on his team, including two in the top 5, and he’s outscoring them by 2, 5, and 8 points in the same number of games. This dude can score.

He’s exactly what the Rangers need this year at the TDL. It’s tempting to not waste a first or second round pick on someone who is probably worse than Perreault right now anyway.

At the same time, he’s potentially not ready. It’s probably best to not ruin something great to fix a short-term need, even if it’ll cost you not too.

And we have Othmann who will likely be starting next season in the top 9. Is there room for both starting their first full season at the same time in the top 9?

But I have to say that ordinarily if we were talking about third in points in the NCAA and second in PPG we probably wouldn’t be saying this player is not ready to move up to a better league next season. Something to think about.
I think it all depends on the Rangers perspective. He’s not at BC next year to become a better point producer. He’s there to get stronger, improve his skating and get better defensively. The idea is he will have more time and opportunities to do that there than he would with the Rangers. That’s the direction I think they should go but who knows what type of opinion Drury will have on it

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it all depends on the Rangers perspective. He’s not at BC next year to become a better point producer. He’s there to get stronger, improve his skating and get better defensively. The idea is he will have more time and opportunities to do that there than he would with the Rangers. That’s the direction I think they should go but who knows what type of opinion Drury will have on it
I think Drury will want to leave him there. The Rangers rushed a few players under Gorton, and I don't know if it'd be rushing him, but they may just want to be safe than sorry. Drury has been rather cautious with promoting players since taking over.

Also depends what Gabe wants. Has already won the World Juniors. Has a good chance to win an NCAA Title. Has a good chance at the Hobey Baker.

He might decide it's time, and I think what his line-mates do could impact the decision also. Gauthier is definitely leaving. There will probably be some pressure from San Jose and Washington for their two draft picks to turn pro. If all three leave, that might also make the decision for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Inthink he definitely had another level of play at the NCAA. He could stand to get more explosive with his skating (not necessarily faster just more leg strength for more burst in his starts) and overall stronger, in addition to probably just having another level of comfort with the game

But he’ll probably need those improvements to excel at the NHL level so however he gets them is likely the best path forward to him

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean unless he really, really pops off the rest of the season (more than he has already done so) I also think another year in the NCAA should be in the cards for him regardless of what anyone else on that team decides to do. Gauthier is as good as gone and Leonard should probably go too. Smith should return if the Sharks are smart, he's got both physical and on ice growth that really needs to happen before he steps up a level or 2.

Any real significant size and strength gains he will make will come during the summer, but I don't think one summer will be enough for him to be within range of being NHL ready. Plus with the way the Rangers are structured at the moment, it's probably best that he DOESN'T go pro. The AHL isn't a bad league, but he will have more chances to work on his body at the NCAA level than he would in the AHL. The last thing I want for him is to work in on the 3rd line and not see any PP time with a top unit because there isn't room for him there. Maybe room will be there for him after this year if the team flames out but as it stands, it won't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad