C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
His NHL career will be further advanced because he spent the year with Boston. He probably should have gone to the U20 Worlds, but spending the year learning the pro game is not a bad thing.
The amount of people writing him off as an 18 year old is unbelievable.

I don't think anybody is writing him off... were just discussing the way Boston has choosen to use him and that there were better ways of using him.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
If there is something positive in a early exit is the sight of having a new coach giving Seguin the opportunity to play real minutes in a significant role.

Hopefully this year was a great learning experience for him and next season he comes out flying.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Spezza?

Spezza stayed over in Jr the year after his draft and then had the luxury of being sent down to Bingo everytime he needed to rethink his position

but when they deemed him ready his wingers for the most part were Alfredsson and Hossa and then during the lock-out he got another year in the A

the situations are nothing alike

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc
No they didn't but a hole they had was for an offensive D-man like a Fowler. Seguin will be a great player down the road. Boston should have actually sent him to Providence for a conditioning stint for 2 weeks. At least give him a chance to play 18ish minutes.

You don't draft at number two for need. You take the best player which he was and is. He's still learning and Julien is a very conservative coach, which is why he's watching the playoffs right now. His development is fine and on track.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Your post is almost as bad as his and the OP. One glaring thing stood out, Tavares wouldn't have made Boston? :laugh:

Considering Tavares can play either wing as well as center, he probably would have played on Bostons top line in his rookie season. No team would have sent him back.

True that was hyperbole, and I was trying to just place him as a center. What I meant was he'd be in a similar situation than Seguin. Maybe a bit better because Tavares is a better player than Seguin but I'm sure Julien would have scratched him here and there and he wouldn't get much more than 35 points or so. I agree, that was stupid, I got home from a night out at 7am so I'm not the sharpest, plus I rushed through that post.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Somebody has a bromance with seguin:snide:

Nope lol, I liked him a bit more than Hall last year but can easily see a case for either, I just HATE people labelling guys as busts so quick. As to the guy saying its nothing like Spezza, youre right-- Seguin made the team way quicker than Spezza did, despite Boston having way better center depth. The comparison to Spezza was made because he's the last top pick I can think of that was drafted by a top team, and to show how ridiculous it is to call him a potential bust just because he was good enough to make the team, whereas he'd be getting his knob slobbered over if he was tearing up Junior right now.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Sequin was never ready for the NHL this year... a big reason why Hall was getting the edge for #1. The Bruins decided to selfishly keep him up and hurt his development... now they scratch him for the playoffs, great way to kill a young kids confidence.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Sequin was never ready for the NHL this year... a big reason why Hall was getting the edge for #1. The Bruins decided to selfishly keep him up and hurt his development... now they scratch him for the playoffs, great way to kill a young kids confidence.

Yup, great post. I really hope Julien and you know, qualified people read this because it's quite insightful! :sarcasm: What else could he accomplish in the OHL? He dominated it last season, there's nothing left to prove, so you move to the next level. It's like taking a victory lap in highschool after graduating. Sure, you can improve your marks, but it does nothing for your development.

Who would he realistically bump off the depth chart in his first year? Horton and Lucic? Nope! Marchand? Arguably, although no one expect him to break out the way he did this year. Recchi? Zero percent chance as Recchi has years of experience and is a proven leader. That's our top 6 wingers. He's bounced around the 3rd and 4th lines due to depth. You clearly do not put somebody who isn't ready for a top 6 role in the top 6, and that's literally as simple as I can make it. I'm glad your management in Tampa didn't give up on Stamkos that quickly... he was a real stud in his first year too!

Avsfanftw

Mar 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
He should have spent another year in the OHL to play 20+ minutes a game and win everything he could. Scoring Championship, Memorial Cup, World Junior, etc. Kind of reminds me of Joe Sakic in the late 80's, I'm 41 years old and played against Joe in the WHL back then. He was so good, he had sick skills!

When Quebec drafted him he didn't feel like he was quite ready to take that step into the NHL yet, plus he wanted to play with his brother Brian. That next year he won the scoring title, or tied with Theo I think? Anyways he was much more ready at 19 and the rest is history as they say.

Loved the story but in todays game I wonder how much choice the player gets in determining where they play :(.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nope lol, I liked him a bit more than Hall last year but can easily see a case for either, I just HATE people labelling guys as busts so quick. As to the guy saying its nothing like Spezza, youre right-- Seguin made the team way quicker than Spezza did, despite Boston having way better center depth. The comparison to Spezza was made because he's the last top pick I can think of that was drafted by a top team, and to show how ridiculous it is to call him a potential bust just because he was good enough to make the team, whereas he'd be getting his knob slobbered over if he was tearing up Junior right now.

Making the team and being ready to play are exclusive things, I saw young Tyler here in Ottawa 3 times, the first game in I saw an excited player running on adrenaline, the next two trips in for the Bruins I saw a kid who looked way too shy and too often out of position

Spezza wasn't big enough or strong enough for NHL competition and like him or hate him John Muckler saw this and sent him back, which was absolutely the right thing to do with him. He was able to tear the O a new one and gave him another year of growth and strength gathering.

wasn't Seguins biggest problem handling the typically stronger and more aggressive NHLer, the pro game can be learned at the NHL level but you can't teach the other stuff.

He would have been better sent back to dominate the O, play in the WJC's and maybe win a MemCup.......just my opinion of course but what do I know;)

Last edited:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
What else could he accomplish in the OHL? He dominated it last season, there's nothing left to prove, so you move to the next level. It's like taking a victory lap in highschool after graduating. Sure, you can improve your marks, but it does nothing for your development.

Ryan Strome: ready for the NHL next year or not?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Threads like this are ridiculous. Seguin is going to be a great player, mark my words, he just wasn't ready for the big time this year and probably could have used one more year in junior.
As for looking at who the Bruins should have selected in hindsight, Seguin was the BPA BY FAR at that spot, they made the right decision and in about 2-3 years, everybody will realize that.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Don't score a point per game pace as a rookie?

Bust.

Seriously guys.. Patience... Seguin will be a great player.

KingJet*

Don't score a point per game pace as a rookie?

Bust.

Seriously guys.. Patience... Seguin will be a great player.

Thats what I'm trying to say, but I think Seguin would've been a better player if he fell to Florida/Columbus in that draft, he was ready for the NHL that year, I could see 30-50 points this year but Boston, I think if Boston actually played him in the playoffs, he'd be very useful and maybe would have this series at 1-1. But since their ruining Seguins development, I want Montreal to win 4-0.

I actually have in alot of threads saying why I don't want Boston to take him, I remember fans were just going oh yeah bull, I even remember in my mock draft I gave Boston the third pick.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Thats what I'm trying to say, but I think Seguin would've been a better player if he fell to Florida/Columbus in that draft, he was ready for the NHL that year, I could see 30-50 points this year but Boston, I think if Boston actually played him in the playoffs, he'd be very useful and maybe would have this series at 1-1. But since their ruining Seguins development, I want Montreal to win 4-0.

I actually have in alot of threads saying why I don't want Boston to take him, I remember fans were just going oh yeah bull, I even remember in my mock draft I gave Boston the third pick.

Because they're "ruining" his development, you want Montreal to win? That's foolish. You also realize with the 2nd overall pick, you don't pick based on need... you HAVE to pick the best player available. Without a doubt.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I have no idea. I'm no expert on prospects at all. I've legitimately never seen him play. All I know is that if you've accomplished what Seguin did in junior, you advance. If you don't you can stagnate IMO.

Seguin: 63 GP, 106 points
Strome: 65 GP, 106 points

Seguin (playoffs): 9 GP, 5-5-10
Strome (playoffs): 9 GP, 6-4-10

Seguin: 6'1 182 lbs
Strome: 6'1 183 lbs

Notice how this year, very few prospect experts are suggesting a) Strome be picked first b) Strome will make the NHL next year? Scoring 100 points in the O is no longer a sign you MUST promote a player.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Seguin: 63 GP, 106 points
Strome: 65 GP, 106 points

Seguin: 6'1 182 lbs
Strome: 6'1 183 lbs

Notice how this year, very few prospect experts are suggesting a) Strome be picked first b) Strome will make the NHL next year? Scoring 100 points in the O is no longer a sign you MUST promote a player.

If he lands on the right team, he's playing next year I guess. You can't look at prospects through the same lens. The Bruins coaches and management felt he was ready to make the jump and would benefit from playing with a team that has/had potential to make a good playoff run. I'm not gonna sit hear and pretend I know more than the people responsible for making these decisions. If the Bruins felt he was ready (which, I guess, they did) he was gonna play.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
What I don't get is how seguin was chl player of the year last year. Hall had just as many games, with playing seven less games. Plus Hall was on the WJC team. Add those 11 points he would have had 117 points.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I wish there wasn't an AHL rule

That way guys like Strome/Seguin could go to the AHL instead of just being in the NHL/CHL

birddog*

Almost as awful as OP.
Most NHL ready? That is a lie. Bob McKenzie said he would not be NHL ready, Hall was widely considered the most NHL ready.
Duchene would be a 3rd liner on Boston just because he is more rounded than Seguin, Tavares wouldn't have made the team his first year, Schenn and Hall are stupid to compare because they are totally different positions, and saying Hall is "laughably" and clearly better than Seguin is just wrong. Putting Fowler and Skinner as guys you would draft ahead of him is just as dumb. Is Sergei Samsonov laughably better than Thornton (Joe, to clarify)? No, not one bit. It's really not even close whatsoever. Take a look at their post-draft seasons, though. If the draft was redone today, I would STILL draft him first overall, as I would have back then, and I would have still kept him in the NHL with Boston for the simple reason that he is better served getting experience here than dicking around in the OHL.

I doubt Boston would deal Seguin for the 1st overall in this draft, any one from last draft other than possibly Hall, and I think you need to look at other 18 year olds in comparison before he's a bust. Look at Jason Spezza. I'm sure you would have thought he was destined to be a bust too. The last time a top team got a top prospect was Spezza to Ottawa, and just like Seguin he had trouble breaking in. That did not, however, preclude him from being a PPG player in his first 500 games.

:facepalm:

Facepalms and laughable don't make your point correct -- Duchene would be a third liner is correct and underlines my point -- which is light years ahead of the press box.

Talk all you want but there are other 18 year olds outperforming Seguin and many have in the past.

As I said there is still time for the kid but not dressing a highly touted player ahead of Shawn friggin Thornton. :facepalm:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
If he lands on the right team, he's playing next year I guess. You can't look at prospects through the same lens. The Bruins coaches and management felt he was ready to make the jump and would benefit from playing with a team that has/had potential to make a good playoff run. I'm not gonna sit hear and pretend I know more than the people responsible for making these decisions. If the Bruins felt he was ready (which, I guess, they did) he was gonna play.

Niagara is suppose to make the push for the Memorial Cup next year... they planned to go for it so that may have a play in what Strome does. Strome is a relative fast riser... didn't do much last year on a good Barrie team and not so good Niagara team.. If I was the team that drafted him I'd like to see one more year of good hockey in both ends of the ice(not hard to do in Niagara since the rink seems to be 50x60 ;)) and play on the WJC, get around 100 points and lead your team to the Mem Cup.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Niagara is suppose to make the push for the Memorial Cup next year... they planned to go for it so that may have a play in what Strome does. Strome is a relative fast riser... didn't do much last year on a good Barrie team and not so good Niagara team.. If I was the team that drafted him I'd like to see one more year of good hockey in both ends of the ice(not hard to do in Niagara since the rink seems to be 50x60 ;)) and play on the WJC, get around 100 points and lead your team to the Mem Cup.

Not even a factor. NHL teams could care less if a player's CHL team has a shot at winning something. If he's good enough then whatever NHL team takes him will keep him, and if he's not then they'll send him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad