C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
And also one of the main reasons we drafted Hall was because he seems like a team player. When asked in the interview about being drafted by the Oilers, he said he wants to bring a Cup back to Edmonton, whereas Seguin seemed to just want to be drafted 1st overall, caring only about himself. Hall is a player you win championships with, I'm not sure I see that drive or commitment from Seguin. He's a skilled player, but he seems like a diva.
:laugh:

Going off some interviews done for television is pretty foolish. The real interviews were done behind closed doors where teams could get a real judge of character.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yup, great post. I really hope Julien and you know, qualified people read this because it's quite insightful! :sarcasm: What else could he accomplish in the OHL? He dominated it last season, there's nothing left to prove, so you move to the next level. It's like taking a victory lap in highschool after graduating. Sure, you can improve your marks, but it does nothing for your development.

Well there are a couple of things he could have worked on:

1) He didn't play on the PK his draft year. He could have this year, thus making him more well-rounded.
2)He could have worked on his physical play which is clearly lacking.

That doesn't mean they SHOULD have sent him down, but it isn't a slam dunk to have kept him up.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Thornton's argument has been brought up several times in defending Seguin's case and it's the best one.

A "bad" rookie season at 18 doesn't make a bad career. Seguin is learning. Carey Price was sitting on the bench last year in the playoffs and it only HELPED his development.

I'm not scared about Seguin. He's going to be a lot better next year with more ice time.

Ya because Shawn Thorton is such a good player

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
Why do so many hockey fans fail to grasp the "Best Player Available" mentality that is mostly prevalent (not always - see NYR's 1st round pick last year, for example) within hockey circles?

Seguin was the BPA - to draft anyone else would have been idiotic, especially at 2nd overall.

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Seguin is adjusting to the NHL right now.

The Bruins are more concerned about winning the cup right now then Seguin's development. But i do think that having Seguin play in a playoff game will help his development for the future.

But next year when guys like Ryder, Recchi arent on the team anymore then Seguin will get more playing time to show everybody why he was taken #2.

ukleafsfan

Jun 18, 2009
Newcastle, Uk
As a leafs fan, I know I’m supposed to be here to gloat or put Seguin down but seriously he’s a top, top prospect and will be absolutely fine.

We sometimes heap unfair expectation on these kids based on where they were picked. Just because some rookies come in and hit the ground running we seem to expect that from everyone or declare them bust.

Some kids take time to get going and develop at a different pace. Seguin is a great player and will dominate in this league for a long time to come.

As for Boston taking a centre, Seguin was resoundingly viewed as the best player available when the pick was made, he will develop into someone that will lead the Bruins year after year.

Its amazing how many people look back at the draft with 20-20 vision.. if the Bruins had taken Fowler and left Seguin waiting they would have been slaughtered for it !

Give him time, he’ll be great.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm confused.....

The Bruins miss out on a player with franchise player potential because.... they have enough centers?

So too many centers you say? How'd that plan work out for the Penguins....

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm confused.....

The Bruins miss out on a player with franchise player potential because.... they have enough centers?

So too many centers you say? How'd that plan work out for the Penguins....

They have an all-star IR? :sarcasm:

But in all honesty they're gonna have to move Staal this summer... He's proven too much.

Maybe a Staal for Staal swap with New York, New York adding some pieces.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
As a leafs fan, I know I’m supposed to be here to gloat or put Seguin down but seriously he’s a top, top prospect and will be absolutely fine.

We sometimes heap unfair expectation on these kids based on where they were picked. Just because some rookies come in and hit the ground running we seem to expect that from everyone or declare them bust.

Some kids take time to get going and develop at a different pace. Seguin is a great player and will dominate in this league for a long time to come.

As for Boston taking a centre, Seguin was resoundingly viewed as the best player available when the pick was made, he will develop into someone that will lead the Bruins year after year.

Its amazing how many people look back at the draft with 20-20 vision.. if the Bruins had taken Fowler and left Seguin waiting they would have been slaughtered for it !

I was high on Fowler all last year leading up to the draft, but by the time the draft rolled around it was patently obvious who the top two picks were going to be. The Bruins had to take Seguin as he was the unquestioned BPA after Hall was taken.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I still maintained that Fowler was the third best prospect in the draft despite the devaluing that went on. People sometimes forget that Fowler, like Hall, had been on everyone's radar as a top prospect since he was 15 years old. When you're that highly regarded for so long, people have a tendency to find holes in your game just to validate the time invested in scouting him the past few years. I saw Fowler live a few times when he was 16 years old, and he simply had "it" then. His game had everyone in the building buzzing even then...smooth, controlled, no panic with the puck, great angles defensively, etc. He just had/has a lot of things that you can't teach in terms of poise and instincts, and I think the sky is the limit when he gets some more NHL time under his belt.

The reason I bring this up isn't to show that he's a better prospect than Seguin, but rather, he's just a lot further along and more polished than Seguin right now. Seguin has a lot of those similar "you can't teach them" qualities about him that Fowler does, but he's still trying to put them all together as an NHLer. He'll figure it out.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Joe Thornton
97-98
55 games 3+4

Sergei Samsonov
97-98
81 games 22+ 25

Obviously 18 year olds need to be judged their first year in the league LOL.

There is as much evidence to support this as there is to validate the following:

Tyler Seguin: 74 GP, 11-11-22
Patrik Stefan: 72 GP, 5-20-25

Taylor Hall: 65 GP, 22-20-42
Steve Stamkos: 79 GP, 23-23-46

hdtrax

Anybody calling this kid a bust already is out of their mind. They're likely the ones who said the same thing about Stamkos in his rookie year. Ridiculous.

He's playing on a Cup contender (well..maybe not this year it seems :sarcasm:) that doesn't have enough room for him. But they will make room when it makes sense and he will be a lot better. Bergeron/Krejci are great, but Seguin seriously has what it takes to be better than them both. Savard is pretty much gone, so that opens up a potential spot for him to take over.

Mark my words: a year from now, Seguin will be much better and a lot of guys on here will be eating crow for it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seguin obviously has the potential, and although we never really know, it wouldnt surprise me that he would be a good player. That being said: Every year there are some draft picks who fly up the rankings and maybe they aren't as good as we think. These kids have been playing hockey their whole lives under a microscope then all of a sudden they go from being a top 20 pick to a top 2. In my mind the majority of the best prospects have been top since forever (ie spezza, ovechkin, crosby, heatley, stamkos, tavares, kessel, hedman, larsson). Seguin, while a legit talent, came out of nowhere. People put way too much stock in hot seasons, or 20 game streaks. Do people really think that one player is going to be better over a career based on 10 games or one WJC?????

People on here get all caught up in the hype, but they seem to forget that people need to sell magazines.

If you honestly think the top 3 are going to be Tavares, Hedman, Duchene etc in october and nothing changes, why are people going to tune in or buy magazines?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
So let me get this straight: Hall playing on the better of the two OHL teams means he had a benefit over Seguin, but Seguin playing on the better of the two NHL teams means Seguin is at a disadvantage to Hall.

You're right about there being a troll in this thread, but I have a feeling you've fingered the wrong poster as the perpetrator.

Star prospect on a stacked junior team means you get more skilled linemmates. Prospect playing on a stacked NHL team means you're buried in the depth chart. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Nov 26, 2010
NJ

Great post, the kid will be fine, and next year could be a breakout year for him if Savard retires.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Wasn't Mr Bugg the guy who was trying to make ridiculous comparisons between Gregg McKegg and Seguin several months ago?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Did they??

Look at his linemates...

I wouldn't call Boston stacked either... nor would I call Gregory Campbell, Dan Paille and Shawn Thornton skilled players which bring the best out of Segiun...

However, the trolls will continue to pound their drums.
This is a poor excuse(almost as bad as the ones calling him a bust)
Paajarvi played 3rd line on the worst team in the league(with 2 busts), and he produced.
I feel bad for Seguin because the Bruins are going to screw up his development(they already have). They only thing they have done right was picking him at #2.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Wasn't Mr Bugg the guy who was trying to make ridiculous comparisons between Gregg McKegg and Seguin several months ago?

Wasn't VeddarRants that guy who was trolling by making up things other posters said without any type of quote or evidence?

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
He'll be fine. If you watch him, you can clearly see the kid has a gifted hockey sense, good puck poise, etc.

Just a Q for B's fans though. Is it likely he ends up a winger? I mean, when he's ready to play in the top-6, will they bump Bergeron down to the 3 hole like before and Krejci at 2 or just put him on one of their wings?

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Star prospect on a stacked junior team means you get more skilled linemmates. Prospect playing on a stacked NHL team means you're buried in the depth chart. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Oh please, this has been put to death time and time again. Stacked teams in juniors means you are much more unlikely to be the go to guy. Thus getting less chances to produce big numbers.

Look at the OHL's top scorers and tell me where the stacked teams top scorers are. Mississauga has Shugg at #14, Owen Sound has Hishon at #15. Meanwhile Sarnia who didn't make the playoffs has 3 guys in the to 20.

The reality is that stacked teams in junior are very balanced throughout the lineup.

Also Hall was playing against 1st pairing defenseman in the NHL while Seguin was playing against 2nd & 3rd defense pairings. The difference between going up against Lindstrom or Salei/ Keith or Cullimore/ Chara or McQuaid is incredibly vast.

I also wouldn't even say that Hall's linemates were much better than Seguins. Hall spent a good chunk of the year playing with Horcoff who is a 3rd liner.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
As an Oilers fan, I would gladly trade the Bruins our first for Seguin. You guys can draft Larsson and let Chara mentor him while we get Seguin and give him top 6 minutes here alongside Taylor Hall :D. Too bad the Bruins wont do that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad