C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

Henke333

Sep 13, 2008
I notice he's putting up some pretty awesome numbers with Plymouth right now. 22 ponts last 10 games. Can anybody tell me how he's actually playing?

Is he considered a top 15 talent for 2010 draft?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I notice he's putting up some pretty awesome numbers with Plymouth right now. 22 ponts last 10 games. Can anybody tell me how he's actually playing?

Is he considered a top 15 talent for 2010 draft?

I don't think so. He's a really smart player, and he's a good playmaker but there isn't a lot that really jumps out and yells elite at you. I think he'll definitely be a first round pick, probably in the backhalf of the round though.

If he can prove that he can put up these numbers without Terry and Caria, he'll definitely help out his stock, but right now there is no question that he is benefiting from playing with one of the best players in the league (Terry) on one of the hottest lines in the OHL.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think he might be, although Fatum probably knows him better than I do. I watched him on TSN at the U17 this year, and he looked very good, and was one of Ontario's better players, along with McFarlane and Gudbransen. Granted those other two will likely go ahead of him, I can see him going somewhere in the 10-20 range if he has another good season next year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I don't think so. He's a really smart player, and he's a good playmaker but there isn't a lot that really jumps out and yells elite at you. I think he'll definitely be a first round pick, probably in the backhalf of the round though.

If he can prove that he can put up these numbers without Terry and Caria, he'll definitely help out his stock, but right now there is no question that he is benefiting from playing with one of the best players in the league (Terry) on one of the hottest lines in the OHL.

I'll agree and disagree. While you can say that he's just a solid all around offensive player, his playmaking ability for his age level, is elite IMO. Something has to be said about the fact that he was 2nd in scoring at the Under 17 Challenge, and first in assists.

I don't think the success of that line has anything to do with one particular player in particular, but more the fact that every member of it is playing outstanding hockey.

The one thing I always look for in 16 year old rookies is, how are they playing at the end of the season? Have they progressed, have they been learning and improving? Getting stronger, becoming more conditioned? And no question, Seguin has definitely improved.

To me, I don't see a whole lot of a difference between the way Matt Duchene played last season and the way Seguin is playing this season. And we are considering Duchene as a top 10 selection this year, so perhaps we have this same discussion about Seguin next year?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
I'll agree and disagree. While you can say that he's just a solid all around offensive player, his playmaking ability for his age level, is elite IMO. Something has to be said about the fact that he was 2nd in scoring at the Under 17 Challenge, and first in assists.

I don't think the success of that line has anything to do with one particular player in particular, but more the fact that every member of it is playing outstanding hockey.

The one thing I always look for in 16 year old rookies is, how are they playing at the end of the season? Have they progressed, have they been learning and improving? Getting stronger, becoming more conditioned? And no question, Seguin has definitely improved.

To me, I don't see a whole lot of a difference between the way Matt Duchene played last season and the way Seguin is playing this season. And we are considering Duchene as a top 10 selection this year, so perhaps we have this same discussion about Seguin next year?

Duchene is a way more explosive player than Seguin. He's a way better skater, and his shot is significantly better as well. And his playmaking is at least on par with Seguin.

Seguin has taken some big steps forward no doubt, but let's not underestimate Chris Terry. This guy is arguably one of the three top forwards in the league, and he's made some things a lot easier for Seguin.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Duchene is a way more explosive player than Seguin. He's a way better skater, and his shot is significantly better as well. And his playmaking is at least on par with Seguin.

Seguin has taken some big steps forward no doubt, but let's not underestimate Chris Terry. This guy is arguably one of the three top forwards in the league, and he's made some things a lot easier for Seguin.

I wasn't necessarily comparing Duchene and Seguin's playing styles. But more the impact that they had, which is similar when comparing their rookie seasons and the progressions they made.

And while explosiveness is important, let's not underestimate how having a good hockey IQ and overall skill set can influence draft ranking. Just ask Sam Gagner, Logan Couture, Josh Bailey, etc, etc.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

What he said. Terry has the second highest ppg total in the ohl behind only Tavares. Some of that is definitely helping Seguin out. I was quite impressed with him in the u-17 world challenge but don't see him going in the top half of the first round at this point.

Default101

I think at this point you could consider 25-30 players to be "potential" top 15 pick as we go over the next 10 months we'll get to see how legitimate he is but i think seeing him come in the top 15 wouldn't be a shocker to me, he's pretty underrated and under appreciated at this point, he's got some good skills, it depends on how much he improves over the summer.

I also thought he looked quite good at the U17s, as good as McFarland, and definitely looked like a top 15 pick. Although I think it's interesting that Toffoli, not Seguin, was ranked in THN's preview of the top 10 for the 2010 draft, since I didn't Toffoli looked as good as his other two linemates at the U17s and his numbers aren't as impressive either.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't necessarily comparing Duchene and Seguin's playing styles. But more the impact that they had, which is similar when comparing their rookie seasons and the progressions they made.

And while explosiveness is important, let's not underestimate how having a good hockey IQ and overall skill set can influence draft ranking. Just ask Sam Gagner, Logan Couture, Josh Bailey, etc, etc.

I know this is a thread about Seguin, but I thought I'd branch out a little more since it's also kind of become about this year's Ontario U-17 team. Jeff Skinner's been heating up lately, do you think there's a chance he could squeak into the first round next year? I know he's been getting a lot of hype in Kitchener but I don't think I've seen a lot of press for him anywhere else.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
I know this is a thread about Seguin, but I thought I'd branch out a little more since it's also kind of become about this year's Ontario U-17 team. Jeff Skinner's been heating up lately, do you think there's a chance he could squeak into the first round next year? I know he's been getting a lot of hype in Kitchener but I don't think I've seen a lot of press for him anywhere else.

I would highly doubt it, he's just too small. He competes okay, but his size will be a huge detractor against him. If he explodes next year, he'll likely be a second round pick, perhaps an early one at that.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Honestly, I'm not sure I've been more impressed by a 92 this season than Skinner. Sure he's undersized slightly at 5'10, but at this point, you have to hope he grows a bit more to get closer to 6'0. Even still, Skinner doesn't play small. He is not afraid to attack high traffic areas nor does he seem to get overmatched physically as much as he was at the beginning of the season. Skinner, to me, seems like one of those guys who knows where to go on the ice. He finds the scoring lanes and he knows how to use his teammates. That speaks volumes about his hockey sense.

I know the guys at the Pipeline show raved about him when they saw him a few weeks ago.
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2009/02/tavares-tops-200-as-knights-edge.html

Very early in the season, he made an impression on me when he scored the game winner in Niagara off a very nice play. Was peeling off from the boards with the puck, dipsy doodled around a Niagara defenseman and took it hard to the net short side. It showed explosiveness, it showed grit and it showed skill. And every time I've seen him since this season, he's been nothing short of awesome.

Personally, I'd have trouble NOT seeing him projected as an first rounder for 2010, at least this early in the game.

Last edited:

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
The kid is good. 1st rounder for sure, top half is pushing it. Having Chris Terry and Caria on the same kine does help but he also dominated in the U17 tourney. He played most of the season on a different line and was doing well so he got moved up to the top line, so to say that his teammates are the reason for his success is pushing it. He currently has a 16 game point streak (3rd in the league, 1st among rookies) where he has had 13 goals and 18 assists.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Well he's been compared to teammate Chris Terry a lot, but Chris was a 5th rounder...

And he's looking like a great pick at that point. The only negative thing I've heard about him is that his conditioning isn't the greatest. There was some talk of that surrounding him when he reported to Albany at the end of his last OHL season.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
And he's looking like a great pick at that point. The only negative thing I've heard about him is that his conditioning isn't the greatest. There was some talk of that surrounding him when he reported to Albany at the end of his last OHL season.

Yeah, but as long as he scores I'm sure nobody will mind.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
This guy's gonna go top 8. He was the best player at the Canada U-18 summer camp and I expect a big Ivan Hlinka tourney out of him. He's way better than McFarland, thats for sure.

FlamesWillRiseAgain

May 18, 2009
Tyler Seguin

The kid is tearing it up so far in the O, I know it's early but it looks like he wants to make a race of it with Taylor Hall.

Has anyone seen this kid? What's his style, size and whatnot?

How good do you all think he's gonna be?

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
The kid is tearing it up so far in the O, I know it's early but it looks like he wants to make a race of it with Taylor Hall.

Has anyone seen this kid? What's his style, size and whatnot?

How good do you all think he's gonna be?

Just got back from the Whalers game actually. He had 3 goals and an assist tonight. The kid was good last year and is a lot better this year. Last year he had 2 awesome linemates but this year he can make beautiful plays on his on. He played amazing tonight, and was decent on D too. He also had 2 breakaways that almost went in. I think he's top 5 easy, probably top 3, and he might actually give Taylor Hall a run for his money. He has decent speed, he's not really big but he's not terribly small either, I'd say he has good size for an offensive player. His stick handling skills are also really good. All in all I think this kid is the complete offensive player. I think he could pass more and not try to do everything by himself, but I wouldn't go as far as to call him selfish. I think it's more of him just trying to step in and be the go-to-guy after the loss of Terry and Caria. Plus he had twice as many assists last year as goals, so he can be a play maker or goal scorer. He gets comparisons to Yzerman, but I can't picture that just because of the type of leader Yzerman was, but they do have similar playing styles. I actually went to school with him last year, and he kinda seemed like a punk, lol.

Randall Graves*

Seems like someone gets compared to Yzerman every year.....the comparison is thrown around to loosely

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
This is now the second year I have watched Seguin playing for Plymouth and he is really tearing it up in his first few games this year. I go to almost every game and I usually pay extra attention to everything that Seguin does on the ice.

He is very fast and can make plays with the puck at top speed very well. I have been saying that Seguin has always been very underrated and he should be at minimum a top 5 pick this year.

Seguin is very crafty with his stick getting and keeping the puck away from his opponents, he controls the power play well and is a very good passer.

Seguin will continue to tear it up this year and has a very good chance of being the leagues leading scorer, he creates many scoring chances for himself and his team mates game in and game out.

I hope more people begin to notice how good he really is and give him the credit he deserves but i know Seguin is goin to be talked about a lot more because he is a lot more talented then where he is ranked rite now in the 2010 draft class:)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I wish there was some way it was possible, because I know the Canes would love to take this kid. Incredibly talented and he's got chemistry with Chris Terry. Plus, Carolina just loves taking Whalers.

I fear he'll go too high, though. Everyone is starting to find out just how good he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad