C Ty Dellandrea - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2018, 13th, DAL)

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It's funny to me that people would rather Veleno over Dellandrea..

Veleno is zero IQ, soft, and won't translate game to NHL. Super over hyped prospect -- obviously teams 10-30 saw the same thing.

Dellandrea is raw, unproven, but has room for pretty big growth in his game.

Reactions: Habs76

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I've seen him play plenty.

He's a slowish junior 'hands' guy with no skills that pop that will separate him at higher levels. He sounds like a really great kid and he's absolutely a hard worker with some intangibles to his game but I don't see him at all as a top-6 NHL center. A Brad Richardson, maybe.
If he was really that bad, no way any team would draft him at 13 oa. Him, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, and Veleno are the four centers that have a decent chance to become a top 6 center.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Dellandrea is a stud, don't even compare him to Hayton or Veleno. He's the best C in the draft. Dallas got a steal. Bergeron/Toews type C.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he was really that bad, no way any team would draft him at 13 oa. Him, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, and Veleno are the four centers that have a decent chance to become a top 6 center.
While I don't agree with the original assessment. Teams draft guys who project and end up terrible at the next level. Remember, Dylan McIraith went 10th overall this decade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Veleno is zero IQ, soft, and won't translate game to NHL. Super over hyped prospect -- obviously teams 10-30 saw the same thing.

Lol a guy that went 30th overall. If he went 14 they might have an arguement. I’ve read nothing but great things about this kid.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
"Before the NHL draft resumed on Saturday at the American Airlines Center, representatives with two teams complimented Stars amateur scouting director Joe McDonnell.

Each person told McDonnell that his club tried its hardest on Friday night to move up and pick off center Ty Dellandrea. They failed, and Dellandrea went to the Stars with the 13th choice overall.

The mock-drafters disliked the choice. McDonnell's peers liked it, which meant more to him and the Stars.

"You look at some of the funny lists out there, but for the most part the teams have the same lists," McDonnell said. "And it shows.""

I think this is a clear case of the difference between the proper scouting that teams do (watch a player multiple times in person, talk to his coaches, interview the player) vs what mock drafters and public scouting list publishers do (watch some video of the player and look at his stats). Also, having watched Vegas make the Finals based much more heavily on team chemistry than individual talent, I wonder if character is starting to matter a lot more to scouts.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal

You must not know much about Veleno because his IQ is by far his better trait.

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Reading up on Dellandrea he is reminding me a lot of Faksa who was also drafted 13th in a similarly weak draft, but had slightly better stats which put him closer to his draft position in his pre-draft rankings.

Veleno is a superior player today but many scouts and coaches talk about Dellandrea's weaknesses with a sort of excitement, because they can all be addressed and coached to make him improve substantially as a player. Veleno doesn't seem to have as much room for growth. You're never going to find surefire NHL talent at 13 but I think they got a good prospect they can work with. Now we'll have to wait and see if the Stars organization is able to help him reach that next level. They haven't had a good track record recently of doing so.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not excited about this pick at all. I think him and Veleno are comparable so I won’t complain about that, but Ty Smith was right there for the taking and we didn’t.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Funny when a CHL exceptional status player doesn't go #1 overall in the draft and is so highly overrated.

Really doing a good job showing how secure you are with the pick btw.

I don't even have anything against Dellandrea, I like him and had him ranked around 20, similar to where I had Veleno, but whatever helps you sleep better.

I guess if someone is granted exceptional status and doesn't go first overall they're an automatic bust, some real sounds logic ya got there. You should definitely be a scout.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 Savage

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Got rewarded by playing in a Pre-Season game and signing his ELC before beeing send back to junior .

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
4 games no goals, one assist and -7 after being sent back.
Any updates on his play?
Playing well and not rewarded?
Disappointed to be sent down and playing poorly?
Any update here? That minus 7 really sticks out.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Any updates on his play?

Flint's a terrible team.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Any updates on his play?
He plays for that dumpster fire known as the Flint Firebirds.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

Yeah, even before the draft, Veleno was outside my top 30.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Any updates on his play?

Flint is 0-4 with 6 goals for and 26 goals against.

Their goalies have 5.11 GAA/6.65GAA and 0.860SV%/0.822

As others have said, the team is complete garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad