C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I specifically didn't compare him to anyone, nor did I say what he is going to achieve. Simply that I have not seen anyone with such a combination of IQ & skill. He has the toolset, if that leads to being inferior or superior to Kane, remains to be seen. But if you ask me, Kane at 18 yo didn't look as good on the ice holistically speaking.

You do realize Zegras is 19 right? This is his D+2 season.

Kane at 18 led his team in the NHL scoring by 10 points and got 72 points, not sure how much better one can look.

Zegras at 18: 36 points in 33 games in college.
Kane at 18: 72 points in 82 games in the NHL.

Zegras had spectacular skill and IQ, there's no denying that.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Right now... Zegras is projects somewhere between Sam Reinhart and Johnny Gaudreau. I don't see the Kane/Marner comparisons. And if the Ducks want him to play center.. he better learn to do that in the AHL than the NHL.

As someone who has watched Kane throughout his career and watches many Leaf games, Kane and Marner are the two players that come to mind first and foremost as I have watched Zegras in the World Jrs and all his highlights.

Reactions: SwissMountaineer

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
You do realize Zegras is 19 right? This is his D+2 season.

Kane at 18 led his team in the NHL scoring by 10 points and got 72 points, not sure how much better one can look.

Zegras at 18: 36 points in 33 games in college.
Kane at 18: 72 points in 82 games in the NHL.

Zegras had spectacular skill and IQ, there's no denying that.

Kane played his first NHL game at the age of 18 years, 10 months, 15 days. Zegras today is 19 years, 10 months, and 22 days, so yes, Kane is one year ahead at this point.

Then again, this season nor the last one are really comparable to any other season in the past, I'm sure I don't have to go into it any further. Also if Zegras would be nr 1 pick, he would have played since the draft already. Like Hughes last year, completely in the wrong league, but they "had to" because he was the 1OA.

Anyway, I still don't like comparisons and I did not want to go into this, just saying that in my opinion he has such a combination of capabilities, that I don't think I have seen before. And I've followed hockey actively for 30 years and counting.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
If I'm the Ducks, I don't call up Zegras at all this year.

Why waste a year of his ELC when you can develop him in the AHL, just as well.
And, the ducks can tank this year, getting another stud.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Keeping a guy down like that when he clearly is NHL ready is not something teams do as it looks bad for the franchise. The fans will want him up. He knows he should be up. Other prospects now and future will want to know if they are deserving they will play. Etc

Reactions: SenzZen

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
As someone who has watched Kane throughout his career and watches many Leaf games, Kane and Marner are the two players that come to mind first and foremost as I have watched Zegras in the World Jrs and all his highlights.

After watching the Reign-Gulls game (to see what the fuss about Byfield is) I stand by my Johnny Gaudreau comparison.

In the three AHL games I've seen, Zegras is the weakest player on the ice. You pressure, poke check, or bump him and he'll cough up the puck. He was a puck candy dispenser in all three games against AHL defenders and forwards. A league that employs Keegan Lowe as a top-pair defender (hint: he's not an NHLer).

Zegras is the anti-Connor Garland, anti-Viktor Arvidsson. He plays more like Sam Gagner right now than Patrick Kane. He should physically mature but I don't see the dynamic Kane/Marner aspect of him. I do see the elite vision. I don't think he'll be a center though.

Reactions: Dominance

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Keeping a guy down like that when he clearly is NHL ready is not something teams do as it looks bad for the franchise. The fans will want him up. He knows he should be up. Other prospects now and future will want to know if they are deserving they will play. Etc
Well good thing he is not CLEARLY NHL ready.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love how other fans know what's better for Ducks fans than Ducks fans...

Yeah everyone wants to see him in the NHL for their entertainment, we get it. But while he could undoubtedly contribute in the NHL on some level, it's good for his development to be dominating a level down and figuring out his spaces against pro men.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I love how other fans know what's better for Ducks fans than Ducks fans...

Yeah everyone wants to see him in the NHL for their entertainment, we get it. But while he could undoubtedly contribute in the NHL on some level, it's good for his development to be dominating a level down and figuring out his spaces against pro men.

This. Noone thinks that he would come up and be completely helpless at the NHL. It is about what is best for his development, and the longterm success of the Ducks. It isn't about this year.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

I think this statement holds a lot of truth.

I don't know if it's true of Zegras at this stage, though.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A couple of years ago everyone was screaming for Troy Terry to be brought up since he was scorching the AHL. Eventually the Ducks did and it was a mistake. Only this year is he starting to look like an NHL player. The minor leagues exist for a reason...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This. Noone thinks that he would come up and be completely helpless at the NHL. It is about what is best for his development, and the longterm success of the Ducks. It isn't about this year.

I think it's silly to waste a year on him this season. This season has already become a mess, and it will get worse before it gets better with all the postponed games. Let him develop in the AHL, work on his game where it is needed, like board battles, and if he continues to dominate give him a little taste of the NHL maybe after the TDL. Could very well have a slot open for him if we trade one or two forwards.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think it's silly to waste a year on him this season. This season has already become a mess, and it will get worse before it gets better with all the postponed games. Let him develop in the AHL, work on his game where it is needed, like board battles, and if he continues to dominate give him a little taste of the NHL maybe after the TDL. Could very well have a slot open for him if we trade one or two forwards.

Bob is known for burning a year of ELC to get to the second contract faster to get a better second contract, so it wouldn't surprise me if a year gets burnt.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I feel like Zegras and the ducks are in a very similar position that the Leafs were with Nylander.

Nylander was torching the AHL, well above ppg but the Leafs kept him there. The Leafs were complete trash that year so there was really no reason to have him with them the entire season. They called him up when there was about 1/4 of the season left.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Bob is know for burning a year of ELC to get to the second contract fast to get a better second contract so it wouldn't surprise me if a year gets burnt.

This wouldn't surprise me either, but I think Zegras is a guy that is determined to succeed and having some time (not necessarily now, but towards the end of the season) in the NHL will help him. He did great in WJC last year, but the knock on him was his scoring... so over the last year it looks like he worked on his shot and added that to his arsenal. Bringing him up might show the difference in strength/speed and the structure of the NHL... so this offseason could see a development in his skating and strength if he knows where he needs to be at.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He scored 3 points in his 1st game, then he scored 2 points in his 2nd game. He had to score 1 point in his 3rd game, but instead he scored zero. So I think, it should be negative points in his next game.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He scored 3 points in his 1st game, then he scored 2 points in his 2nd game. He had to score 1 point in his 3rd game, but instead he scored zero. So I think, it should be negative points in his next game.
It's his 2nd game in the last 4 games where he does not score a point. Is it becoming a trend? We will see over the weekend. 2 games vs Eagles

Oct 18, 2011
Next game he will score a goal against his team

Reactions: TimeZone

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Downward trend, for sure.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Arthuros

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino