C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Whats the reasoning for ANA starting Zegras and Drysdale in the minors? Just out of curiousity...not ready or limited roster spots?
Very obvious with Drysdale. How many players that were drafted this year are playing in the league right now? I think it’s just Lafreniere and Stutzle but there could be 1 or 2 that I’m missing. 18 years old and they want him to work on his game playing more minutes

With Zegras it’s more of a debate. He is probably pretty close to ready and could really help the Ducks immediately. But better safe than sorry letting him get acclimated first.

Can’t disagree with managements call on either so far

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Whats the reasoning for ANA starting Zegras and Drysdale in the minors? Just out of curiousity...not ready or limited roster spots?

They need to develop and get stronger and will get that in the AHL. I could see Zegras being called up right after the trade deadline, because by then, will have likely moved a forward or two and a slot will open. Drysdale makes more sense to come up next season, he is going to need more time. No reason to rush these guys.

I think the Ducks take advantage of a shortened weird season to polish things off, move guys who are not clearly working anymore and need new scenery, and prepare for Oct which really isn't too far away. It's not a good year to tank either given a lack luster draft, rather they develop and play some decent hockey and even if they just miss the playoffs, can get some development out of their current young roster which includes Steel, Terry, Comtois, and Lundestrom.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Anaheim should really call this kid up. They could absolutely make the playoffs this year with how weak their division is. They are somehow still in the race at 5-5-3 despite being last in the league in goals per game at 1.85

Terrible message to send to the fans and players to keep him in the AHL. They have a chance to make the playoffs and they leave arguably their most talented offensive player in the minors while they struggle to score??

The message is that they are not going to rush the best prospect they have had in almost 20 years just to get an 8 seed in the playoffs.
Zegras has things to work on, like learning to play center at a pro level.

Bringing him up would be a disservice to him and the longterm success of the team.

Drysdale is kind of obvious. He is 18 and the Ducks have a ton of depth at defense. It doesn't make sense to bring him up to play 15 minutes a game when he can play #1 minutes in every situation in the AHL.

The Ducks are taking it slow and letting them develop against men.

Reactions: goforit and Spazkat

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The message is that they are not going to rush the best prospect they have had in almost 20 years just to get an 8 seed in the playoffs.
Zegras has things to work on, like learning to play center at a pro level.

Bringing him up would be a disservice to him and the longterm success of the team.

Drysdale is kind of obvious. He is 18 and the Ducks have a ton of depth at defense. It doesn't make sense to bring him up to play 15 minutes a game when he can play #1 minutes in every situation in the AHL.

The Ducks are taking it slow and letting them develop against men

Makes sense and it's a smart strategy for more than a few reasons...obviously its good for their development but also its a short year and a good time to aim for another high pick...Zegras and Drysdale could probably play at the pro level and would help them win games but probably better for long term path of org to let them play in AHL for a bit and see where the NHL team shakes out in the standings in a few months

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Any Ducks fans want to cast their opinions on the casual comparisons of Kent Johnson to Trevor Zegras?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Any Ducks fans want to cast their opinions on the casual comparisons of Kent Johnson to Trevor Zegras?

I'm guessing most Ducks fans have rarely or never seen Johnson play given that UM games are not televised in socal.

Oct 18, 2011
Give him his 7 games for sure (this season it was reduced from 9) but it's not about being rocked in the NHL. He can't even escape tight checking in the AHL because his skating is just average for the AHL and he hasn't won a single puck battle so how is he going to deal with less time and space in the NHL?

Folks are stat watching too much. He has 4 shots and 2 goals. One goal everybody though De Leo scored (it was an goal line push that two players jabbed at) and the other was a horrible sharp angle goal that 99.9999% of NHL goalies save. The Condors goalie is garbage. His linemate De Leo is a beast. He should be in the NHL.

Give him a full season to physically mature and deal with athlete nutrition and lifestyle.

View attachment 394433
That "horrible sharp angle goal" he scored was because he completely faked out the dman and was able to manipulate him to get the shot off, the other goal he clearly scored. He's more of a playmaker/passer anyways, you are over emphasizing puck battles too much he can back defenders off the blueline to make space, and you can give him linemates who are good at that part of the game

Oct 18, 2011
Anaheim should really call this kid up. They could absolutely make the playoffs this year with how weak their division is. They are somehow still in the race at 5-5-3 despite being last in the league in goals per game at 1.85

Terrible message to send to the fans and players to keep him in the AHL. They have a chance to make the playoffs and they leave arguably their most talented offensive player in the minors while they struggle to score??
I think whenever Getzlaf comes back this could turn into a more serious discussion, he really shouldn't come up and play with anyone else. Getzlaf can help cover up his weaknesses while also playing at the same offensive skill level, until then I don't think it should even be considered

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That "horrible sharp angle goal" he scored was because he completely faked out the dman and was able to manipulate him to get the shot off, the other goal he clearly scored. He's more of a playmaker/passer anyways, you are over emphasizing puck battles too much he can back defenders off the blueline to make space, and you can give him linemates who are good at that part of the game

I argue that speed and hockey IQ (which Zegras has oodles of) differentiates between an AHLer and NHLer. Dylan Strome would be elite if he could skate a little better. Martin Frk is an AHL Superstar with an insane shot but skates in quicksand. Comtois is an excellent AHLer. Often even dominate. I watched him in the NHL and he was always behind the play. In the AHL, I'd say he was an above average skater.

I might be an Oilers fan but prospects with skating issues - Lavoie, Benson, Marody... I'm not high on. Puljujarvi couldn't win a puck battle in his first two years in NHL (the cycle would die on his stick) even with his 6'5" frame and I was pretty negative on him for a while. He's now a beast on the puck in his 4th pro year.

Right now... Zegras is projects somewhere between Sam Reinhart and Johnny Gaudreau. I don't see the Kane/Marner comparisons. And if the Ducks want him to play center.. he better learn to do that in the AHL than the NHL.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I argue that speed and hockey IQ (which Zegras has oodles of) differentiates between an AHLer and NHLer. Dylan Strome would be elite if he could skate a little better. Martin Frk is an AHL Superstar with an insane shot but skates in quicksand. Comtois is an excellent AHLer. Often even dominate. I watched him in the NHL and he was always behind the play. In the AHL, I'd say he was an above average skater.

I might be an Oilers fan but prospects with skating issues - Lavoie, Benson, Marody... I'm not high on. Puljujarvi couldn't win a puck battle in his first two years in NHL (the cycle would die on his stick) even with his 6'5" frame and I was pretty negative on him for a while. He's now a beast on the puck in his 4th pro year.

Right now... Zegras is projects somewhere between Sam Reinhart and Johnny Gaudreau. I don't see the Kane/Marner comparisons. And if the Ducks want him to play center.. he better learn to do that in the AHL than the NHL.
As an outside fan I realize my opinion means very little, but I have to agree with this. I haven't watched Zegras at all outside of the World Juniors so I can't comment on his shortcomings, what he needs to work on, what's NHL calibre/what's AHL calibre etc., but I have to think that even if he could have an impact on the Ducks it wouldn't hurt to have him hone his craft in the AHL.

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
Zegras has natural hockey IQ combined to such skills with the puck, that I don't think I have ever seen. He thinks the game on a different level, absolutely out of this world and his body just follows. ANA is stupid if they don't call him up already, some jealous a-hole might just ram his knee in the AHL for the hell of it. I really have a funny sensation about this guy, he just seems perfect. Big things are coming his way.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Zegras has natural hockey IQ combined to such skills with the puck, that I don't think I have ever seen. He thinks the game on a different level, absolutely out of this world and his body just follows. ANA is stupid if they don't call him up already, some jealous a-hole might just ram his knee in the AHL for the hell of it. I really have a funny sensation about this guy, he just seems perfect. Big things are coming his way.

Pump the breaks a bit.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

This is somr first class hype here.

George Shea would be proud.

SwissMountaineer

Mar 13, 2019
We gonna pretend like Kane never existed?

I specifically didn't compare him to anyone, nor did I say what he is going to achieve. Simply that I have not seen anyone with such a combination of IQ & skill. He has the toolset, if that leads to being inferior or superior to Kane, remains to be seen. But if you ask me, Kane at 18 yo didn't look as good on the ice holistically speaking.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
His creativity and edge work are Marner esque. Very excited to see him in the show, hopefully sooner rather than later.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not a Ducks fan, but I prefer Zegras by a good margin. I get the comp, both have high end skill and silky smooth offensive games, but from what I’ve seen of Johnson, he slows the game down too much for my liking, to the point where his game feels a bit too casual/lazy. Zegras has great speed, plays with plenty of pace and hustle, something I don’t see enough of from Kent Johnson.

I don’t wanna get too down on Johnson, who is also a terrific prospect, but for me, although they both have electric skill, Zegras has far fewer question marks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad