C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree 100%. Even if he is decent and scoring at a .5ppg pace, he will be the best forward on the Ducks and how can they justify sending him down? That's how you cause issues between him and the management.
If he isn't decent then the reason this is dumb goes without saying.

I honestly don't think i can be convinced this dumpster fire Ducks team is a better environment for development then the Gulls.

I for one wanted him to stay down and maybe get some games towards the end of the season. But I totally get where you are coming from.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s going to bring some much needed life to that roster. Excited to see how he does.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I’m honestly not worried. I didn’t think he was far off from being considered for the first overall pick. Definitely should have been considered for 2nd OV. He already had a year of development while Hughes and KK struggled. While I’d prefer him in the AHL for the year I think it’s time to see what he has in the show. Just send him back after a few games if he struggles physically.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
I feel like the only people excited about this are fair weather fans and non-Ducks fans.

If they f*** up Zegras it is going to set back the Ducks for years.
Yea that’s not true at all. Hardcore fans can also appreciate the chance to watch a young exciting prospect’s first game. I think some people just realize that a single call up isn’t doomsday in the event that he doesn’t play well, especially when that prospect has all the skill and confidence in the world

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I feel like the only people excited about this are fair weather fans and non-Ducks fans.

This is getting pathetic. I can't stand management, but Jesus Christ, myself and many other Ducks fans are not "fair-weather fans" for getting excited about the debut of the best f***ing prospect we've had in god knows how long. Hasn't even played yet and people are talking about this setting us back for years :help:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This is getting pathetic. I can't stand management, but Jesus Christ, myself and many other Ducks fans are not "fair-weather fans" for getting excited about the debut of the best f***ing prospect we've had in god knows how long. Hasn't even played yet and people are talking about this setting us back for years :help:

Maybe I should have said “most”. I’m excited to see him but I am worried about f***ing it up and I don’t see the upside in bringing him up.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Maybe I should have said “most”. I’m excited to see him but I am worried about f***ing it up and I don’t see the upside in bringing him up.

They're definitely valid concerns and I share many of them myself, but in a Ducks season that's undoubtedly been one of the worst in recent memory with a myriad of reasons to be upset at the decisions that have been made and the people who have been making them, and has made our immediate future look increasingly bleak for several of us, we have to be able to find the positivity where we can. And seeing Zegras play his first game for us should be a reminder for all of us that there is still a lot of hope for this team. I completely understand the concerns about his development and it's absolutely an appropriate conversation to have if and when it becomes the time, but right now we'd be all better putting aside all of our disappointment and focusing on the fact that we get to watch one of the best prospects in the league, and the best prospect we've had in over a decade take the ice in a Ducks sweater.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
He'll be fine. Worse that can happen isn't bad at all: he and the staff see where his game needs tweaks or improvements to maximize his NHL potential and he goes back down to hone it, meanwhile his appetite is further whetted.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's no reason to suggest that the ducks would keep him up if he struggled for 6 games. Cross that bridge if it comes.
I really don't mean to keep bringing up the Glass comparison cause I'm not trying to make it about him, but Glass didn't struggle until his third line mate Eakin started becoming a turnover and possession nightmare (about ten games into Glass' career) which forced Glass to play a lot of get the puck away from grinders style hockey and his play and confidence tanked before he had his season ended with injuries. The big question with Zegras is can he handle the size and speed of the league at his frame? Even if he comes in as the team's best powerplay option and best all around passer, that doesn't erase the areas of his game that may not be NHL ready, and may hamper his development.

I mean, Z can ride a 6 game hype just fine, earn his spot and still run into developmental issues if he stays. Especially when other teams start ramping up their playoff pushes with faster and more physical play. No one's saying don't be excited about his debut but the Ducks need to be really careful and aware of every element of every game he plays. They can't afford anything less than maximizing Zegras' potential if they want to get to building a strong core for the future. I mean I'd argue Anaheim still needs to draft and develop a few more top 6 quality prospects to build around Zegras. I really don't have faith that guys like Steel, Terry, etc. are gonna reach the level many of us thought they could. Comtois has an outside chance to be a good goal scorer to partner with Zegras but I think the Ducks need more. As it's been said, it sets Anaheim back years if they harm Zegras' development.

He'll be fine. Worse that can happen isn't bad at all: he and the staff see where his game needs tweaks or improvements to maximize his NHL potential and he goes back down to hone it, meanwhile his appetite is further whetted.
Worst that can happen is they see tweaks and improvements needed and figure he's too good for the AHL and he can tweak and hone those needed improvements in an NHL bottom 6 line.

Last edited:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Worst that can happen is they see tweaks and improvements needed and figure he's too good for the AHL and he can tweak and hone those needed improvements in an NHL bottom 6 line.

True. I just assumed - naively perhaps - that Anaheim wouldn't go that route since they didn't rush him to the NHL at the start of the season, and the organization doesn't have to worry about putting fans in the seat this year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
True. I just assumed - naively perhaps - that Anaheim wouldn't go that route since they didn't rush him to the NHL at the start of the season, and the organization doesn't have to worry about putting fans in the seat this year.
Well something changed. I'd hope they won't play it stupid, but I've grown horribly distrustful of Bob Murray and really don't have all that much better confidence in the team's player development. The drafting has been strong since Martin Madden took over but many of Anaheim's prospects failed to meet their expectations in that time (some surpassing where they were when Anaheim finally traded them out). I think Zegras is the kind of talent that can play well enough to seem too good for the AHL but his size still concerns me among a few other traits that aren't quite NHL honed or ready. Sometimes you can have a guy at his age have a man's frame and say "okay he's safe to develop his deficiencies in the NHL"

I'm not convinced that's the case with Zegras. Maybe his hockey IQ is good enough to get him out of bad situations and not have his abilities be limited by failing to find open spaces to work with at the NHL's size and speed. But maybe it's not, and injury isn't the only potential impediment to developing Zegras' game. Especially on a woefully underperforming Ducks team.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The upside is obvious, though: it’s better for your development to play with and against better competition if you can compete at that level without completely changing your game to minimize risk, etc. In order to find out whether he can compete at that level, you have to give him some games. This was always going to happen, and it was always going to happen sooner rather than later, and it would have happened right about now or sooner with basically any franchise in the league.

As others have said, we can talk about rushing him and wasting valuable time in his development after a handful of games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Meh i think the team is prob interested in seeing where he is at.... it’s not like they have to keep him up if he struggles...

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Jack Hughes struggled mightily his rookie year, looks great this year.

Drais again struggled a lot, now he's an art Ross threat.

There are so many examples of great players struggling early on in their NHL careers and still turn out to be great players. If zegras does struggle, and if Anaheim still doesn't even send him down, it doesn't mean his career and development are over and ruined.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Jack Hughes struggled mightily his rookie year, looks great this year.

Drais again struggled a lot, now he's an art Ross threat.

There are so many examples of great players struggling early on in their NHL careers and still turn out to be great players. If zegras does struggle, and if Anaheim still doesn't even send him down, it doesn't mean his career and development are over and ruined.

I understand your point and generally agree but Zegras is also a year older than Hughes was. Draft plus 1 vs 2.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think it's a dumb move. Should have kept him in the AHL, then brought him up for the last 3-5 games of the season. It's much better for prospects to make a single progression through leagues rather than see-saw back and forth between AHL and NHL.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks

Hahaha what a post! maybe just speak for yourself. A couple games isn’t going to hurt him no matter what happens. Maybe he lights it up and never goes back. Try and enjoy something. Try to not be mad about everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->