C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
In your opinion, when are you seeing him play with the Ducks?
By all account he looks amazing im the AHL

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In your opinion, when are you seeing him play with the Ducks?
By all account he looks amazing im the AHL

Im sure he will get a look this season. I hope it is just a taste at the end of the season though.

It looks like the Ducks want him in the AHL. He has given the Ducks every reason to justify moving him to the NHL and they haven’t. You have to assume it is because they want to take it slow and let him physically mature, and learn to play center at the pro level.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Most that have followed him feel he'd be best to spend the year killing it in the A. The Gulls are a more talented team all things considered and have a clear role for him, the Ducks are just a mess offensively. The 6 game taste should be all he needs to prepare this offseason for what I'm expecting as a ROY level season 21-22 and a long career as a line driver.

Reactions: lwvs84

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He should probably already be on our PP to be honest.

He would kill on an NHL PP... but he can't even win an open-ice (nor board) puck battle against AHL defenders. He would be a giant liability on 5v5 against NHL forwards and defenders. The AHL->NHL leap is a significant jump in speed and size IMO.

Keep him in the AHL and eventually convert him to center later in the season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Possibly lol we’re not a Canadian team our prospects don’t ever get super hyper , can’t think of anyone they may have
Pretty sure some Justin Schultz speculation threads reached parts 2 and 3 on the trade board when he decided not to join Anaheim.

That was always the most hilarious example of how under the radar the Ducks are. He went from a guy that no one was talking about to the supposed next coming of Erik Karlsson all in a matter of hours after the news broke.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
In fairness, Ducks haven't had a flashy offensive forward picked top 10 since Bobby Ryan. Anaheim factor is definitely a thing but flashy high draft picks also generate more interest.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I am shocked a prospect like Zegras has only just reached thread 2. Where are the fans in Disneyland?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Couldn't think of a better career step for this kid. Might not even hurt to play most of next season in the AHL either, though by the looks of things he may be fully ready for NHL duty by then.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He would kill on an NHL PP... but he can't even win an open-ice (nor board) puck battle against AHL defenders. He would be a giant liability on 5v5 against NHL forwards and defenders. The AHL->NHL leap is a significant jump in speed and size IMO.

Keep him in the AHL and eventually convert him to center later in the season.

Spot on. No reason to rush him. He should get a whole AHL season and another off season to bulk up before getting more then a cup of coffee at the NHL.

I am shocked a prospect like Zegras has only just reached thread 2. Where are the fans in Disneyland?

Good one.

Reactions: voxel

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I see no reason to keep Zegras in the AHL past this season. I realize only 2 games isn't a great sample size, but I don't think he is going to be challenged in the AHL other than physically. And honestly how much does that matter...he's not the type of player that is going to be getting rocked nightly in the NHL either. I think he needs at least his 9 games with the big club so he knows what he needs to work on this summer.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Leave him in AHL, first half as winger, 2nd half as center. Give him a couple games at the end of the season in the show to get a taste.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Anaheim should really call this kid up. They could absolutely make the playoffs this year with how weak their division is. They are somehow still in the race at 5-5-3 despite being last in the league in goals per game at 1.85

Terrible message to send to the fans and players to keep him in the AHL. They have a chance to make the playoffs and they leave arguably their most talented offensive player in the minors while they struggle to score??

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I see no reason to keep Zegras in the AHL past this season. I realize only 2 games isn't a great sample size, but I don't think he is going to be challenged in the AHL other than physically. And honestly how much does that matter...he's not the type of player that is going to be getting rocked nightly in the NHL either. I think he needs at least his 9 games with the big club so he knows what he needs to work on this summer.

Give him his 7 games for sure (this season it was reduced from 9) but it's not about being rocked in the NHL. He can't even escape tight checking in the AHL because his skating is just average for the AHL and he hasn't won a single puck battle so how is he going to deal with less time and space in the NHL?

Folks are stat watching too much. He has 4 shots and 2 goals. One goal everybody though De Leo scored (it was an goal line push that two players jabbed at) and the other was a horrible sharp angle goal that 99.9999% of NHL goalies save. The Condors goalie is garbage. His linemate De Leo is a beast. He should be in the NHL.

Give him a full season to physically mature and deal with athlete nutrition and lifestyle.

upload_2021-2-9_13-8-37.png

Reactions: dick341

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Give him his 7 games for sure (this season it was reduced from 9) but it's not about being rocked in the NHL. He can't even escape tight checking in the AHL because his skating is just average for the AHL and he hasn't won a single puck battle so how is he going to deal with less time and space in the NHL?

Folks are stat watching too much. He has 4 shots and 2 goals. One goal everybody though De Leo scored (it was an goal line push that two players jabbed at) and the other was a horrible sharp angle goal that 99.9999% of NHL goalies save. The Condors goalie is garbage. His linemate De Leo is a beast. He should be in the NHL.

Give him a full season to physically mature and deal with athlete nutrition and lifestyle.

View attachment 394433
I've watched every single San Diego game and he's created more offense than anyone on that team. He does have solid line mates but how many grade A chances has Zegras created that weren't scored on. I've watched every single game Zegras skating is a strength not a weakness. He does need to get stronger but when he has the puck on his stick he creates more offense then anyone on that team. Oilers fumbled up big time mark my words. The whole his skating isnt good enough and the "he hasn't won a board battle" then the fact you say people are stat watching just shows you are the one that is. Look at his take away numbers alone. He has an elite hockey mind and is constantly stealing pucks just from knowing where to put his stick.

Can't believe the oilers didn't take him still. My neighbors definitely heard me when I heard the words philip broberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Whats the reasoning for ANA starting Zegras and Drysdale in the minors? Just out of curiousity...not ready or limited roster spots?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I've watched every single San Diego game and he's created more offense than anyone on that team. He does have solid line mates but how many grade A chances has Zegras created that weren't scored on. I've watched every single game Zegras skating is a strength not a weakness. He does need to get stronger but when he has the puck on his stick he creates more offense then anyone on that team. Oilers fumbled up big time mark my words. The whole his skating isnt good enough and the "he hasn't won a board battle" then the fact you say people are stat watching just shows you are the one that is. Look at his take away numbers alone. He has an elite hockey mind and is constantly stealing pucks just from knowing where to put his stick.

I have no fight in the 2019 draft. In fact I preferred Zegras.

I just like AHL hockey for what it is... sloppy goonish hockey full of players who can’t cut it in the NHL because of their skating or hockey sense. I call it as I see it. I wasn’t a fan of Dylan Strome on draft day and still not. Zegras has elite vision but I’ve seen my share of AHLer crush the league and do squat in the NHL Theres just very little time and space in the bigs.

Chase De Leo is the modern Nigel Dawes. I think he belongs in the NHL and is wasting away in the AHL.

Reactions: sufferer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad