C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Can't help but think a LOT of the same things said about Sam this year are similar to those said about Toews in '06. Not comparing them because Sam is still 17, but lots of people questioned Toews high-end upside/skating/dynamism and I see a few of the same concerns in Sam's game.

Reinhart is never going to wow you out there to the uninitiated observer, he isn't an electric player like a Matt Duchene type. He's subtle out there, but he's all over the ice, some shifts you might not notice he's on the ice actually if you're watching for other players but Kootenay will break down the ice for a chance on a rush and you look up and it's Reinhart leading it feathering a great pass over to a streaking winger. Or Kootenay will be on the penalty kill and you notice a smart, savvy little play to clear the puck out and you go "oh, wow, that's Reinhart again hey." He's not taking it end-to-end every shift, he's not going to barrel in on the forecheck but he's going to play extremely smart hockey and be in a lot of the right places. At the end of the night he has 2 assists and has played 25 minutes on the first line, the top PP unit and the top PK unit.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I would still put Reinhart 5th, but that's not a knock on him, it's just a testament to how good the 2013 draft class is.

Fair enough, although, I think closer to the mid-way point of the season people will start to see how talented/intelligent Reinhart is!

Oct 15, 2008
He needs to work on his skating/speed/quickness. That is the only knock against him. If he can do that, look the **** out. He may still be a very good player even if it doesnt improve. His skating isnt poor by any means. He does everything else so well. Pinpoint passer, and a pro shot, plays in all situations and is uber-dangerous whenever he is on the ice. That top line and top pp unit dominates. He plays the entire two minutes of the pp too. Along with what seems like half the game, so he must be in top condition as well. Good size and not afraid to get involved physically, though he isnt a banger/crasher his size will help him at the next level.

Oilspill's take a couple posts above mine is very good.

Wolfpack21

Dec 14, 2008
Ranger fan in Jersey
So how good is Sam? I feel it's hard to tell how good he actually is when compared to the deep 2013 Draft. What I've heard (which doesn't me is true) is that he is/will be the best of his brothers, he is not too "flashy" of a player but is a solid two way center. Who in the NHL plays a similar style? And how's he playing so far this season? Thanks!

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Sam Reinhart comparable?

Had a chance to watch Sam Reinhart recenly, looked dominant, but I couldn't decide on an NHL comparable. He's very smooth and playmaking seems easy. But he seems to fly under the radar during the play, kind of slink in and make a great play. He obviously has a superb "feel" for the sport. Just wondering who others compared him to.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I've seen him a few times lives and I come away thinking Brad Richards (TB/DAL).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Patrice Bergeron for me.. Really smart player, knows where to be on the ice at all times. The main knock on him is a skating. If he can improve that, he's gonna be so dominant

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Patrice Bergeron for me.. Really smart player, knows where to be on the ice at all times. The main knock on him is a skating. If he can improve that, he's gonna be so dominant

His skating is fantastic! I would say it's a strength.... at least from what i've observed... I'd love to hear your point of view, though. (seriously, no sarcasm).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
His skating is fantastic! I would say it's a strength.... at least from what i've observed... I'd love to hear your point of view, though. (seriously, no sarcasm).

I'm not saying he is a bad skater but compared to the other facets of his game it is a weakness IMO. He lacks that game breaking speed and explosiveness and doesn't have the quickest feet from a stand still. He doesn't need to have game breaking speed because of his off the charts hockey iq but If there was one thing from his game I'd want him to really work on it would be to improve his overall quickness. I don't think it's exploited as much in the dub just because of how smart he is and how he always puts himself in the right position. His head is his bread and butter which is what you want from a top draft pick.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Very impressive 3rd goal. Stole it at the blueline on the PK, went in and made a nice move.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He needs to go by his birthname Samson and grow out his hair to unlock the next stage of his development

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He needs to go by his birthname Samson and grow out his hair to unlock the next stage of his development

I don't think that would be fair, though. His future Calder trophy win would be tainted by his unsportsmanlike actions.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I'd probably say Toews as the style of player

That is really funny, since I think Reinhart is similar to Monahan. Would love this as a 1-2 punch down the middle for the Flames moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad