C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Draft is about potential. And Sam has a great potential. The question is, if he is better that by Drouin, Barkov ...

remember that both barkov and mackinnon was ALMOST 2014 draftees, ridicilously close to it, both of them.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Is this really true, though?

...if you were asking me who will end up the better the player - Monahan vs Reinhart - it might well be Reinhart. But I don't agree that as of draft day, June 30, 2013, any team would have selected Reinhart over Monahan.

Again, I'm not saying that Monahan will be a better player - i'm just saying that thinking that Sam Reinhart would have been taken over Monahan a couple of months ago is a bit over the top to me.
Draft position wise for 2013? I'd say so. They both project to be great two way players with enough offensive skill to possibly be top line centers. I haven't seen either one play enough to say who is better now, but I'd be pretty confident to say that the Oilers would have picked the one the Flames didn't if both were sittin there at 6th overall this draft.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Is this really true, though?

...if you were asking me who will end up the better the player - Monahan vs Reinhart - it might well be Reinhart. But I don't agree that as of draft day, June 30, 2013, any team would have selected Reinhart over Monahan.

Again, I'm not saying that Monahan will be a better player - i'm just saying that thinking that Sam Reinhart would have been taken over Monahan a couple of months ago is a bit over the top to me.

Assuming teams take age into account, Reinhart looks a little better as a 2013 draftee than Monahan does; Monahan has slightly better numbers on a slightly worse team, but he's also a full year older than Reinhart.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His stats last year were 72 gp, 35 g, 50 a, 80 pts. His playoffs were, ahem, forgettable.

Stats don't tell the whole story obviously b/c Kootenay was pretty bad.

It's hard to say, but I'd guess somewhere between 8-13.

I don't think he would have been taken ahead of Monahan. Horvat is harder to say. I'm inclined to say no. Domi's a more interesting question...i think he may have gone ahead of Domi. He'd definitely have gone before Lazar.

I think he would have went 7th to be honest, but that's no fault to him this draft was just incredible. Some teams might have had him ahead of Lindholm and Monahan but id guess to say the majority would have had him 7th.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I doubt he makes it past Edmonton. While I like having Nurse because he brings some top pairing potential to the prospect corps, Reinhart would address the extreme weakness the oilers have at center, both in the nhl and prospects.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I see him as being in that Bergeron/Toews/Staal mode; the type of elite defensive center that every SC winner needs. But he's putting up gawdy numbers and looks like he might have more offensive potential than any of them.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I see him as being in that Bergeron/Toews/Staal mode; the type of elite defensive center that every SC winner needs. But he's putting up gawdy numbers and looks like he might have more offensive potential than any of them.

Nowhere near any of those guys in his defensive play. I compare his defensive game to RNH. Relies on well time stick checks and good positioning. Not physical, and has times when he leaves the zone early.

Probably a little better in the faceoffs than Nuge was though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Nowhere near any of those guys in his defensive play. I compare his defensive game to RNH. Relies on well time stick checks and good positioning. Not physical, and has times when he leaves the zone early.

Probably a little better in the faceoffs than Nuge was though.

I think his defensive game is a little bit a head of where RNH's game was at the same age, but I am also in love with Reinhart and think he is going to be a very good player.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Outrageos stats, but kinda hard to guage since the WHL has been increasingly more high scoring lately. I think his WJC performance will do the most for solidifying the top spot.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Outrageos stats, but kinda hard to guage since the WHL has been increasingly more high scoring lately. I think his WJC performance will do the most for solidifying the top spot.

Respectfully have to disagree. A great performance would be nice to see, but scouts have been looking at some of these players for a very long time, and will continue for another 6 months after the WJC. It really is a collection of information over a long time that (ideally) informs scout's decisions.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Respectfully have to disagree. A great performance would be nice to see, but scouts have been looking at some of these players for a very long time, and will continue for another 6 months after the WJC. It really is a collection of information over a long time that (ideally) informs scout's decisions.

Yeah I should have phrased that better. I meant that his outrageous stats need to taken in the context that there could be a dozen 100 point scorers this year.

I think being one of the lead scorers, on a team without many top guys, says a bit more than the actual stat line.

If you take his stats outta context, then he looks like the next Crosby.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Where is the love for Sam? 2.0 PPG and people wouldn't consider him a top 5 pick this year or an elite talent? 20 points in 10 games.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Where is the love for Sam? 2.0 PPG and people wouldn't consider him a top 5 pick this year or an elite talent? 20 points in 10 games.

He's a great player; many people's favorite to go first overall. It's nice that he's putting up points, but even if he wasn't, he'd still be in the same position.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Had a feeling going into the season him and Descheneau would tear it up. Very very smart player.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I would still put Reinhart 5th, but that's not a knock on him, it's just a testament to how good the 2013 draft class is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad