C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I think him, along with other people just focus on his drop off in stats without really looking at the big picture of the situation or what the Sabres asked him to do to developmentally.

I'm not gonna comment on the team specifically because I don't know Kootenay that well, but from what I've read about them they weren't exactly a powerhouse, and Reinhart came in a basically turned them into a playoff team. Also, if people actually paid attention to what was talked about over the year, you'd know the Sabres asked him to try to become stronger and develop his game into a "pro style" game, rather than just go out there and try to get as many points as possible, which he is perfectly capable of.

Add to that his domination at the WJC, 3 pts in 3 games in the AHL and Tim Murray commented that he genuinely looks bigger and stronger. Most people don't gain strength and muscle during the season. Reinhart did.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Would Reinhart even be a 1st rounder if he was in this draft? I mean he's obviously behind Barzal and he fell to 16 :sarcasm:

Wonder where Reinhart fits this year. I don't think he'll be in Rochester. With Eichel and RoR most likely the two top 6 centers I would really like to see Reinhart at RW with RoR centering him and Girgensons at LW. That would be the ultimate 2 way line. 3 forwards with elite 2 way play all capable of 25+ goals. Put Kane and Ennis on the top line with Eichel.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Depends on the hodgeson scenario I guess, wouldn't be the worst thing to start him in Rochester though. I always think back to spezza dominating the ahl during the 04 lockout and what that did for his career.

Aceonfire*

Going to be the best defensive forward in the league in a few seasons.

I think his defensive game was always underrated. I was never a fan of Reinhart's because I doubted his offensive ceiling. But if he can produce at the NHL level he could be a very well rounded player. And with ROR there it is probably the perfect mentor for him.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hear he really shut down Eichel. Even the Buffalo Sports Commentators seemed disappointed by Eichel's play. All they said was Eichel made a nice pass in the 3rd. Good work by the boy from North Vancouver, BC.

Sam Reinhart got 3 points tonight!!!

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Reinhart looks like a good skater now. Never will be elite acceleration but with his elite hockey sense he just reads the game 3 steps faster than anyone.

Reinhart could very well be in the conversation for rookie of the year if he is playing in the top 6. Once Reinhart and Eichel are the top 6 centers in 2-3 years I could see:

ROR-Eichel-Girgensons
Kane-Reinhart-Fasching

That's a lot of power, speed and 2-way play in the top 6. Two shut down lines that can counter-attack when you make a mistake.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I hear he really shut down Eichel. Even the Buffalo Sports Commentators seemed disappointed by Eichel's play. All they said was Eichel made a nice pass in the 3rd. Good work by the boy from North Vancouver, BC.

Sam Reinhart got 3 points tonight!!!

They weren't 100% matched up but when they were Sam's line had the pressure just like they did against everyone else. That line dominated big time. Great game from Sam but also from William Carrier and Hudson Fasching. Eichel didn't have much jump and didn't seem to be looking to force things. He made a few great passes when it looked like nothing was there, resulting in point blank opportunities or what should have been, but ultimately his line couldn't sustain any pressure out there against Reinhart's.

Reinhart is definitely stronger and has more speed in his feet than he did a year ago. He'll put in the work these next couple months and be ready for the NHL in my opinion.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I really like Sam. It's too bad he's an afterthought now. When he was drafted he was the crown jewel center.

He definitely isn't an afterthought . The Sanres just have 2 franchise #1 centers. I still laugh at the haters who doubted him or thought the #2 overall pick in 2014 and first forward taken would top out as a "2nd line center". Just because he will be on our 2nd line for the next 15 years doesn't make him a 2nd liner or mean he isn't a 1C. He'll be a 2nd liner the way Malkin is (not saying he's anywhere near a Malkin in the future. But he will be a 70-80 point elite shutdown center. In other words a franchise center).

Cannot believe 5 years ago we had Tim Connolly and Derek Roy as our top 2 centers with literally no center prospects and now boast a center group of Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, RoR and Zemgus Girgensons :amazed::amazed::nod:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I really like Sam. It's too bad he's an afterthought now. When he was drafted he was the crown jewel center.

He was something of an afterthought around the league when he was drafted, too. Deservedly or not I can't really think of a #2 overall pick, much less a top forward from a class, to get so little love. It's going to take time for him to earn his status but I believe he will. It'll be a couple offseasons before he really attains the level of strength and skating that he can, as well before he fully adjusts his Genius Hockey Brain to the NHL. It's clear the Sabres' plan to send him back to Kootenay and have him do strength training every day even if it took away from his play for the Ice paid off. He looked bigger and faster at the end of the season with his three Amerks games as well as in this camp.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dont see Reinhart as a franchise center man. He should top out as a #1 centerman though and they dont grow on trees.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I dont see Reinhart as a franchise center man. He should top out as a #1 centerman though and they dont grow on trees.

And you also don't see Eichel as a generational talent. And probably think Girgs is a 3c at best and RoR the worst contract in the league.

How is a player who will likely max out as a 70-80 point center with Selke level 2 way play not a franchise center? Reinhart = Franchise center. If Reinhart isn't a franchise center prospect then there isn't one in the rest of the league besides McEichel considering Reinhart was the #1 prospect pre 2015 draft according to virtually every mainstream source and is now the #3 best prospect.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It's weird to say, but I consider Reinhart a Franchise Player but not necessarily a franchise center, if that even makes sense.

You need guys that have Reinhart's qualities to succeed in the league. He's not going to be the impact offensive guy , that's not his game, but he will be the guy everyone looks to for leadership and calmness. He's the guy who will be a key piece in showing future Sabres how to train, how to be a professional, and for guys to look up to. He is 100% Grade A captain material.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He definitely isn't an afterthought . The Sanres just have 2 franchise #1 centers. I still laugh at the haters who doubted him or thought the #2 overall pick in 2014 and first forward taken would top out as a "2nd line center". Just because he will be on our 2nd line for the next 15 years doesn't make him a 2nd liner or mean he isn't a 1C. He'll be a 2nd liner the way Malkin is (not saying he's anywhere near a Malkin in the future. But he will be a 70-80 point elite shutdown center. In other words a franchise center).

Cannot believe 5 years ago we had Tim Connolly and Derek Roy as our top 2 centers with literally no center prospects and now boast a center group of Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart, RoR and Zemgus Girgensons :amazed::amazed::nod:

It's weird to say, but I consider Reinhart a Franchise Player but not necessarily a franchise center, if that even makes sense.

You need guys that have Reinhart's qualities to succeed in the league. He's not going to be the impact offensive guy , that's not his game, but he will be the guy everyone looks to for leadership and calmness. He's the guy who will be a key piece in showing future Sabres how to train, how to be a professional, and for guys to look up to. He is 100% Grade A captain material.

Let's just wait with this, he isn't even a regular player in the NHL yet.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He's my favourite prospect. Always reminded me of Zetterberg (stylistically) when he would come and play in Moose Jaw.

Can't wait to see him develop into a solid NHLer!

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
And you also don't see Eichel as a generational talent. And probably think Girgs is a 3c at best and RoR the worst contract in the league.

How is a player who will likely max out as a 70-80 point center with Selke level 2 way play not a franchise center? Reinhart = Franchise center. If Reinhart isn't a franchise center prospect then there isn't one in the rest of the league besides McEichel considering Reinhart was the #1 prospect pre 2015 draft according to virtually every mainstream source and is now the #3 best prospect.

Instead of surmising what I think, just ask.
If you want to know what I think I will tell you.

Reinhart is a 1st line center. He is not a franchise centerman. He might develop into one but he isnt. Not every player taken second overall = 'franchise' player. The franchise label is something that is designated after 1-3 years after the player is on the team and exhibits signs of going up and beyond his talent level on the ice.

Eichel is surely a franchise player . He would have gone 1st overall in the same draft as Nathan MacKinnon, Yakupov, RNH Taylor Hall, and others.

However it is yet to be seen if he is truely a 'generational talent'. I would probably stay away from those labels for a while. Generational players are very rare indeed.

Often we confuse star players as generational. I dont think I would call Getzlaf or Perry a generational player or even Patrick Kane. Those are star players. Franchise players .

Crosby, Malkin Ovechkin and I would even categorize Toews as a generational forwards. Crosby and Ovechkin were given these titles right at the draft but Malkin, Toews had to earn it.

You paid Grigorenko and Zadorov for the rights to ROR then had to sign him to a UFA style contract. Those are some steep sacrifices for one player who is not a superstar. However, what is done is done. You got your guy. I hope he becomes a 70 point 40 goal scoring selke guy like Ryan Kesler so he earns all of the sacrifice you paid for him.

Girgensons is a good player but in all fairness he has not shown anything to suggest he will be a STAR player or even a #1 center. Lets wait and see how good he is at 25.

Projecting players as franchise and generational or star players based on what they might do in the future rings hollow. You got some good prospects. Lets see how you do.

Believe it or not, I am a huge Sabres fan. I grew up a Canucks fan and you are our sister franchise. Good ol 'wheel spin where you got Perreault and we got.........Dale Talon. :rant:

This is why I am so hard on the Sabres management and players. I wouldnt have wanted the super tank to manipulate the draft rules but hey, its legal so why not.

Now that its over and all the wheeling and dealing is done -literally because Murray was hell bent on spending EVERY asset and draft pick he had :rant: - I am excited to see the Sabres play in the fall.

Is it October yet ? :handclap:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
For Flames
Bennett - top 6 with 80 point potential
Poirier - top 6 winger
Klimchuck - middle 6 winger
Jankowski - middle 6 centre
Hickey - top 4 d
Gillies - starting goalie

Mar 11, 2013
QC

So basically a way better Toews? Seems reasonable.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So basically a way better Toews? Seems reasonable.
70-80 points is a pretty big expectation to lay on the kid but I think he can be a Toews, I think Reinhart is one of the better playmakers in the last 10 years and you clearly saw his potential in the World Jrs where he makes these plays and your just left there like "how?".

I can see 60/70 point seasons tho, if scoring goes up I can see him hitting 80 depending on how defensively he has to play with who his linemates are.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So if he makes the club where does he slot in? I have to choose between him and Bennett in a keeper league and it's so damn early in their careers to make a call one way or another. Is he looking like he'll play on the wing or at C? IMO Eichel > anything on the Flames offensively at least down the road so if he flanks Eichel then I'd take Reinhart of the two.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
70-80 points 4-5 years ago isn't the same as 70-80 points last season sadly. Hopefully the game opens up a bit more in the next few years.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
So if he makes the club where does he slot in? I have to choose between him and Bennett in a keeper league and it's so damn early in their careers to make a call one way or another. Is he looking like he'll play on the wing or at C? IMO Eichel > anything on the Flames offensively at least down the road so if he flanks Eichel then I'd take Reinhart of the two.

He'll almost definitely start on the wing. He's stated a few times that he can even play D if need be.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Do you guys see ROR as a center for you next season or as a winger? Is Eichel looking like he'll start at center?

At this point, it looks like ROR as 1C, Eichel 2C with Samson breaking in on the wing. There's the debate; with ROR and Kane on the first line, they'll need a guy to get Kane the puck while still being responsible defensively. Sam would fit there but would fit better in a year or so. Then the 2nd would be Ennis, Girgensens surrounding Jack. But, everyone's got their own combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad