C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
He's become underrated.

I'd easily put him above Strome. Probably on par with Marner. I would rank Bennett the same in this draft.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder if people are going to bring up how "bad" Reinharts pace was in his post-draft season in the WHL and that he therefore is a much worse prospect than Strome, similar to what people said in regards to Draisaitl when those two were compared. Or does that not apply when it comes to canadian WJC stars? Seems to be a pretty different tune in here for some reason. :shakehead

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
6th after McDavid, Eichel, Hannifin, Marner and Strome

If we know how his draft +1 season went in hindsight then probably 7 or 8 after Barzal and Provorov. He's taken quite a big step backwards.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think it's pretty easy to put Reinhart above Strome. I'd probably put it: Hanifin, Reinhart, Marner, Strome. Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Bennett were all underrated last year and, with the exception of Bennett getting the chance to impress at the end of the season, they're still underrated.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It would take a very special circumstance for a team to prefer Strome over Reinhart. Strome is a worse skater than Reinhart with half the brains. In his 9 games last season you could see that Reinhart's elite defensive game will have no trouble translating to the NHL. Strome is taller and will likely be a more dangerous shooter but that's all he has on Reinhart.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
I'd take Reinhart over Strome without a doubt. Hockey IQ, defensive play and playmaking to Sam. Shot & size for Dylan. Skating goes to Reinhart as well, but its not a runaway.

Overall I see Reinhart as a legit #1 centre in the mould of Henrik Sedin and I see Strome as more of a very good 2nd line Centre ala Jason Spezza (current, not 90+ point Spezza of years past)

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Sam's ppg went down because he was actively trying not to do things he wouldn't get away with in the NHL. He was 100% focused on playing a pro game and getting stronger.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I wonder if people are going to bring up how "bad" Reinharts pace was in his post-draft season in the WHL and that he therefore is a much worse prospect than Strome, similar to what people said in regards to Draisaitl when those two were compared. Or does that not apply when it comes to canadian WJC stars? Seems to be a pretty different tune in here for some reason. :shakehead

I agree with you. He had his worst season when you look at his points per team percentage.

17 year old - 43% - A solid number.
Draft year - 55% - This number is ridiculously high, think McDavid like numbers.
Post draft year - 41% - This is a very poor number for a 19 year old.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

If we know how his draft +1 season went in hindsight then probably 7 or 8 after Barzal and Provorov. He's taken quite a big step backwards.

:laugh::laugh:

Reinhart goes 3rd ainec.

Reinhart was well over a ppg in his draft -1 year. Marner didn't hit that and Strome was barely over .5 ppg in his draft -1. Reinhart would go 3rd ainec. Arizona is praying to get Reinhart for #3 then drafting Marner or Strome.

Barzal over Reinhart :laugh: a guy who's injured a lot never hit 15 goals or 60 points goes over Reinhart . Give me a ****ing break. Reinhart is the best prospect in hockey according to HF and THN. But according to the gurus here he wouldn't even go top 7 In this draft :lol::lol::lol:

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Reinhart goes 3rd ainec.

Reinhart was well over a ppg in his draft -1 year. Marner didn't hit that and Strome was barely over .5 ppg in his draft -1. Reinhart would go 3rd ainec. Arizona is praying to get Reinhart for #3 then drafting Marner or Strome.

By that logic then shouldn't Konecny go ahead of Strome since his draft -1 year was better?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Statistically, absolutely.

Playing wise, not really, he just played a more complete pro game, which is part of any player's development IMO.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Reinhart goes 3rd ainec.

Barzal over Reinhart :laugh: a guy who's injured a lot never hit 15 goals or 60 points goes over Reinhart . Give me a ****ing break. Reinhart is the best prospect in hockey according to HF and THN. But according to the gurus here he wouldn't even go top 7 In this draft :lol::lol::lol:

People don't care nearly as much about draft -1 seasons as you seem to think. Reinhart has spent a lot of years in junior and had at least an additional development year there over most guys, plus he's old for his draft year. Add that to the fact that he was outproduced by Marner and Strome in their respective draft years, and it's far from a sure thing he would go before them.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
McDavid, Eichel, Reinhart, Marner, Hanifin in that order. I am a bit high on Reinhart though, the kid oozes potential and I see the next Toews/H Sedin in him.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Reinhart goes 3rd ainec.

You're forgetting about that there Hanifin kid :wg:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah I don't think Hanifin is as good as people think he is. He'll be great no doubt, but some scouts don't even have him as the top defensman in this draft. Mainly because he doesn't have the pure offensive potential that an all-around #1 guy has. A lot of people think Provorov will be better.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Please explain this "backwards step".

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Please explain this "backwards step".

I think him, along with other people just focus on his drop off in stats without really looking at the big picture of the situation or what the Sabres asked him to do to developmentally.

I'm not gonna comment on the team specifically because I don't know Kootenay that well, but from what I've read about them they weren't exactly a powerhouse, and Reinhart came in a basically turned them into a playoff team. Also, if people actually paid attention to what was talked about over the year, you'd know the Sabres asked him to try to become stronger and develop his game into a "pro style" game, rather than just go out there and try to get as many points as possible, which he is perfectly capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad