C/RW Michael McCarron (2013, 25th, MTL)

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I hated that draft pick. Still hate it.

But I'll trust Timmins on that one. If he sees upside in him, I'll give him time. I personally just don't see anything special other than a possible bottom six physical player. A Bryan Bickell type, at best.

Bickell was pretty freaking valuable to the hawks in the playoffs, i'll take that

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Bickell was pretty freaking valuable to the hawks in the playoffs, i'll take that

The problem is that McCarron's numbers are nowhere near that of Bickell's at the same age in the OHL.

It was a pretty horrible pick by the Habs who drafted him because of his size... as simple as that. I am still not ready to call him a bust but this guy is lazy, does not compete and has no offensive skill whatsoever.

I would love being proven wrong though.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I was so impress with McCarron's play during the preseason, that I'm not overly concern with his statistic this year. He showed poise with decent hand & skills, alongside a tremendous frame. He was also not as slow as I would of thought, and he still have numerous years to improve his speed. We're not going to see this man in the NHL for another 3-4 seasons, and I think London Knights is a tremendous school for the kids.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
His injury might still bother his physical play. A shoulder separation is something he can still play with, but could take a while to heal 100%. He said in an interview two months ago:

“I can’t really play my physical, hit-everybody-you-see style — I’m still tempted but I’m recovering,†the 18-year-old said. “There’s no structural damage so there’s nothing worse that can happen than just doing it again.â€

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/10/11/big-london-knights-forward-grits-teeth-and-plays-through-injury

I'm not losing my hope yet. He could still be special player in the future. Definitely more exciting than some Zykov, who probably ends up in KHL. There's nothing in Zykov, the Habs don't already have in the prospect pool.

Zephyr666

Apr 17, 2013
Well, it's not going too good for him... But I won't judge until the end of the season. If the injury is really bothering him, we'll see him rise his play in the next months.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
His injury might still bother his physical play. A shoulder separation is something he can still play with, but could take a while to heal 100%. He said in an interview two months ago:

“I can’t really play my physical, hit-everybody-you-see style — I’m still tempted but I’m recovering,†the 18-year-old said. “There’s no structural damage so there’s nothing worse that can happen than just doing it again.â€

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/10/11/big-london-knights-forward-grits-teeth-and-plays-through-injury

I'm not losing my hope yet. He could still be special player in the future. Definitely more exciting than some Zykov, who probably ends up in KHL. There's nothing in Zykov, the Habs don't already have in the prospect pool.

Haha, tell that theory to Tampa who kept drafting and signing top-six skilled forward types and now have amongst the best prospect depth in the entire league......

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Habs fans better hope he might pull a Tom Wilson and just have a really good playoffs after a less than stellar 18 yo regular season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I saw him in Owen Sound about a week ago and it was his play with the puck that was more alarming than his lack of physical player/intensity for me.

I'm thinking it must have been an off game because I've seen OHL goons carry and distribute the puck better.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Maybe he'll be able to step up into a more important role with Horvat and Anderson not in the lineup. Zadorov played some of his best hockey last year when Harrington and Maata were gone.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I saw him in Owen Sound about a week ago and it was his play with the puck that was more alarming than his lack of physical player/intensity for me.

I'm thinking it must have been an off game because I've seen OHL goons carry and distribute the puck better.

This. The games I've seen of McCarron, I've come away very disappointed. He doesn't seem to have the natural 'skill' that most first rounders possess. What shocks me is during preseason, he was really good and was able to keep up with NHL players. He had a couple of neat assists iirc.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Not saying this because I'm a leaf fan but just watching this kid play, I can't believe he went in the first round. He's not particularly good in any area and all he has is size which can only take you so far. It's even worse if you don't use it well like McCarron.

Last edited:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
One thing about McCarron is that he's a pretty bad fighter, especially for his size. Habs fans will come away really disappointed if they expect him to be an intimidating Lucic or Stewart type player. A decent comparison IMO is Bickell although Bickell definitely has more skill.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah... I tried reading your sentence like 5 times and still don't know what you meant.

He said McCarron isn't that great at anything. All he has is size, and if you are a player who does not use your size very well (and McCarron is one of those people according to that guy) then that size isn't as effective. It really wasn't hard to understand at all.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Yeah sorry about that. I'm on my phone. Edited it so it makes sense now.
No probs. I get your point now. He obviously wasn't picked for his natural hockey talents. He is expected to become a grinder with hopefully some scoring touch. There where hundreds (if not thousand) of more skilled players, but there is more to a winning hockey team than just skilled players. He was drafted because of his grit and size not his hockey skills. And for a very late 1st round pick, I personally don't think it was a huge gamble, especially with the three 2nd rounders the Habs had in the draft. He could end up something very special or just a bottom six grinder or a complete bust. That's just a risk you have to take, in terms of hoping to get that special player.

He said McCarron isn't that great at anything. All he has is size, and if you are a player who does not use your size very well (and McCarron is one of those people according to that guy) then that size isn't as effective. It really wasn't hard to understand at all.
Well, it's quite difficult to comprehend a foreign language when the grammar isn't correct.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Atleast de la rose and Lehkonen are looking good....

fucale_top_panel.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad