C/RW Michael McCarron (2013, 25th, MTL)

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
His development is going to be long and slow, for sure. Even before Montreal picked him I was telling people to get those visions of "Lucic Part 2" out of their heads ASAP. I think you're definitely looking at more of a Bickell type. Which is fine, but it's going to lend to a lot of questioning along the way (why was he picked so early? why doesn't he score more? etc).

If you're a Hab fan you can only hope his development follows along the path of Tinordi, another American picked in the late-first who went to London and was subject to some pretty harsh criticisms his first year in the OHL. Not that Tinordi has "made it" by any stretch but he's looking like a very good prospect now, compared to his first year of juniors where you had to look pretty hard to find a positive review of his play.

Like Marc said, I don't think the shoulder injury has helped any for sure.

Im glad you reminded me of this. I was watching Tinordi play at the beginning of this season and was pretty impressed by his progress in the last 3 years. I was skeptical of the McCarron draft pick, and maybe i still should be, but it is encouraging that the system can develop talent and not just draft it.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Im glad you reminded me of this. I was watching Tinordi play at the beginning of this season and was pretty impressed by his progress in the last 3 years. I was skeptical of the McCarron draft pick, and maybe i still should be, but it is encouraging that the system can develop talent and not just draft it.

I still think it is far too soon to judge the McCarron pick. IMO he is a project and he will need 2-3 years more to develop.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I guess this is what i was getting at - i was sweating over his play today when maybe it wont matter in 2 years.

everyone thought Patches was a wasted pick and look now. Im not saying McCarron will turn out to be like patches, i just mean some guys can stick in the NHL at 18 and some need until they are 22-23.....

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
everyone thought Patches was a wasted pick and look now. Im not saying McCarron will turn out to be like patches, i just mean some guys can stick in the NHL at 18 and some need until they are 22-23.....

exactly, I havent seen any of mccarron play other than this year so really what can i expect. Even if he is a bust its not typical habs track record

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I hated that draft pick. Still hate it.

But I'll trust Timmins on that one. If he sees upside in him, I'll give him time. I personally just don't see anything special other than a possible bottom six physical player. A Bryan Bickell type, at best.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Pacioretty was also playing in the USHL and CCHA. There aren't many junior teams with a higher profile than the London Knights. For better or worse their players are always exposed.

Analyzer*

He looked really good in pre-season. Better than I thought he would. He apparently looked good in his first few games with London before he missed a couple with an injury. He seems to still have it. Hopefully that is what's hampering his play. I'd just want him to sit out and let it heal. Unless it's one of those injuries where you can play through it, but surgery is required and likely puts you out a while.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The production is concerning but 2 things that keeps me from being concerned about him as a prospect:

1. He showed a lot of upside during preseason and that there is good amount of physical ability/skill level/hockey sense in that big frame. He was on a line with Blunden (another big body that skates well) and showed that he's already better in terms of offensive skill level.

2. He's playing with a shoulder injury and has only had 1-2 points in the 10-11 games since he's been injured.

If he ends the season at same pace then there's probably need to reevaluate him as a prospect. Too early now IMO.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He's fairly mean/physical, but not a total beast like, say, Tom Wilson. He was taken for his size and toughness, but also for his offensive talent. In terms of play style I like comparisons to guys like Bickell or Prust more than Lucic. I wouldn't be overly concerned about his scoring so far, it's early in the season and he's new to the OHL, but he'll definitely have to pick up the offence to meet expectations, he wasn't drafted in the 1st round just to be a 4th line goon.

Colton Gillies was picked 16th overall and projected to be a gritty third line forward. I'll eat my hat if McCarron ever makes it in the bigs in a top-six role.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London

Yes lets look at Patches play... Everytime I watch him he doubled over heading to the bench because he's been injured some how. :laugh::laugh:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
One thing McCarron has shown is soft hands. Now that hasn't translated into goals or points but he does have the abilities. Right now the OHL is to fast for him. He needs to be 100% healthy to do what he can do. Play like a power forward but having a separated shoulder isn't helping. I think he needs to work harder IMO to get to where he needs to be or where the Habs and fans what him to be. Being big can only get you so far. Now it's time to play and work like a pro.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel reasonably sure this was a Bergevin and co. pick, not a Timmins pick.

Timmins has his share of blunders, everyone does. Management's focus on size had to be big a factor in this McCarron pick though.

The early returns aren't looking good. Despite London being pretty stacked at forward, if McCarron was that good he would have forced his way in and earned ice time. His stats stink. Bad. Hopefully there is enough skill there for him to be a 3rd line NHLer who can bang and crash and protect the puck well along the boards.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
For sure it seemed like Bergevin/Dudley pick more so than a Timmins.

I guess it seems like he isn't doing so great, but I believe Tinordi also had a rough first year in London after coming from the US program.

And during the summer I remember Bergevin saying that he is a long term projects, said something like he'll need 4 years, 2 years in London, and another 2 in the AHL.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
I hope montreal makes sure this summer that mccarron heals his shoulder and works on his skating posture(he is way too high on his feet to balance himself. Also, cut is ****ing stick:p:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
McCarron's biggest problem this year has been his intensity level, or therefore lack of. His intensity level is almost zero.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I've seen him a few times this year. He is decent skater for a big guy, his intensity level is a little low. I have seen him use his size and damn it's impressive but he doesn't do it enough. He doesn't stand out on the Knights like Horvat, Domi and Zadorov but he definitely has the tools to get to the bigs. Very interesting prospect for the Habs at this point.

68in68

Nov 8, 2013
This kid has made every team he's played on since he was 12 because of one thing (SIZE). Has never been and cant ever see him being what people project him to be; a hockey player

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Nobody thought Patches was a wasted pick. People questionned his upside as a top 6 player after a rough stretch in his first NHL year, but nobody questionned the pick except "hindsight scout extraordinaires" telling us that they would've picked Perron instead.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
McCarron's biggest problem this year has been his intensity level, or therefore lack of. His intensity level is almost zero.

This is the most concerning part to me. It's 1 thing to bring almost zero offence, but you have to at least provide an incredible physical presence and tons of intensity on every shift. He isn't doing it by all accounts. His fights are totally underwhelming too.

The only reasons why some Habs fans remain optimistic is Grant McCagg's constant hyping of McCarron since before the draft and McCarron playing well in 2 pre-season games against mostly AHL level lineups. That's it. Everything so far about him screams 4th liner at best. Maybe he becomes a less intense Brandon Prust. Yippee.

It's still too early to throw in the towel, but I have never been so underwhelmed by a Habs first round pick in his first year post-draft since I started really following prospects at the turn of the millennium. Even David Fischer was less underwhelming. :laugh:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Man I hate that pick. Hated since day 1, and feared we'd pick him ever since Grant somewhat let us know the management was interested in him.

Please, let me be dead wrong on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad