C/RW Michael McCarron (2013, 25th, MTL)

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I would like to have some info on this guy.

Birthyear: 1995-03-07 Birthplace: Macomb, MI, USA
Position: RW Shoots: R
Height: 196 cm / 6'5" Weight: 104 kg / 229 lbs

Season Team League GP G A TP PIM +/-
2011-12 USNTDP Juniors USHL 35 3 14 17 112 -9 |
U.S. National U17 Team USDP 53 6 21 27 128 |
USA U17 WHC-17 5 1 1 2 2 |
2012-13 U.S. National U18 Team USDP - - - - - |
USNTDP Juniors USHL 19 5 5 10 84 1 |
USA U18 WJC-18 7 3 2 5 14 0

Some people see him as a late 1rst or middle 2nd and i also read somewhere that he might be the next coming of Lucic.

what are you views on him?

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Late 2nd/Early 3rd i think, Hayden and Fasching have better shot at being top 6 forwards than him. McCaron more of a 3rd physical guy who can put up some points like a Bickell imo

Madic

May 21, 2008
Late 2nd/Early 3rd i think, Hayden and Fasching have better shot at being top 6 forwards than him. McCaron more of a 3rd physical guy who can put up some points like a Bickell imo
That's what I saw during the U18 as well (limited viewing, obviously), but that's essentially what Biggs was drafted for as well, so who knows. Hayden seemed to have a good set of hands but nowhere near the tenacity.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I think his size and physical tools will be enticing enough for him to end up being picked in the early 2nd. He's committed to Western Michigan for next year, but the Knights own his rights and there's been some speculation that he may back out on his commitment to sign there

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think his size and physical tools will be enticing enough for him to end up being picked in the early 2nd. He's committed to Western Michigan for next year, but the Knights own his rights and there's been some speculation that he may back out on his commitment to sign there

Yeah, he was apparently in London for Game 5 last Friday, so clearly he's considering London. It might depend on which NHL team drafts him and what they want him to do. I remember Tinordi was supposed to go to Notre Dame and once the Habs picked him he decided to commit to the Knights.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Knights sent four picks, including three conditional 2nds, to Belleville in order to acquire the rights to McCarron. I think the big man will be a mid second rounder and whoever takes him will likely push him to report to London.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is a first round pick. NHL teams covet players with his size and his puck retrieval ability. If Samuelsson and Wilson were first rounders, I don't see why Mike can't be. He does have to work on his consistency though.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He will go somewhere in the 2nd round is my guess. He has huge upside and continues to improve every year. He may break into the bottom of the 1st because of his upside. He still has more talent to be developed with the right coaching. Saw him play at Worlds and he was in there with the best of them game in game out.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Is he a good fighter? Because the comparaison to Lucic keeps on coming up but i haven't heard of McCarron even fighting.

Analyzer*

If he's 6'5 , physical, can fight and put some goals in then he'll be a late first, early 2nd.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Michael McCarron - 5 pts in 14 games

I know everyone said he had a lot of developing to do when he was drafted but he had a great pre-season with the Habs and scored in his first game with London. Since then, nothing; I personally can't believe he's not putting up points on such a strong London team. So what's the story with this guy from those who have been able to see him so far this season.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He is not, and will never be a point producer.
He's fairly mean/physical, but not a total beast like, say, Tom Wilson. He was taken for his size and toughness, but also for his offensive talent. In terms of play style I like comparisons to guys like Bickell or Prust more than Lucic. I wouldn't be overly concerned about his scoring so far, it's early in the season and he's new to the OHL, but he'll definitely have to pick up the offence to meet expectations, he wasn't drafted in the 1st round just to be a 4th line goon.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
There is not a ton of ice time to go around in London this year. They are so stacked at forward it's hard to find everyone PP time or even ES time when games are tighter, they just go with whoever is going and that usually includes double shifting Horvat and McCarron has been left out of the mix at times when guys like Anderson are buzzing more.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, he was apparently in London for Game 5 last Friday, so clearly he's considering London. It might depend on which NHL team drafts him and what they want him to do. I remember Tinordi was supposed to go to Notre Dame and once the Habs picked him he decided to commit to the Knights.

Funny how you said this before he was drafted by the Habs, then once he is drafted by the Habs, he goes to the Knights.

The Knights sent four picks, including three conditional 2nds, to Belleville in order to acquire the rights to McCarron. I think the big man will be a mid second rounder and whoever takes him will likely push him to report to London.

Nailed it, I'm glad he's in the OHL - I think it'll help him develop into the powerforward we want him to be.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He will go somewhere in the 2nd round is my guess. He has huge upside and continues to improve every year. He may break into the bottom of the 1st because of his upside. He still has more talent to be developed with the right coaching. Saw him play at Worlds and he was in there with the best of them game in game out.

Crazy, you were right too. :handclap: Can you give a little report on him?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He suffered a 1st degree shoulder separation after about 5 games with London and was said to be out 1-2 weeks. For whatever reason, he rushed back and missed only 1 game (or about 4 days). He has 1 point in 10 games since coming back. Should have just rested it.

Still concerning what is going on.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Man oh man is he soft for a big guy. He's by far the biggest guy on the ice, and he still curls into the boards to avoid a check like he's 5'6. Several times he's turn the puck over doing this. He also doesn't hit very well; he goes into the boards hard, but very rarely actually makes solid contact with the player. Been very unimpressed with him thus far in London, I thought he would bring a new physical dynamic but all he has been is slow, soft and useless with the puck.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
His development is going to be long and slow, for sure. Even before Montreal picked him I was telling people to get those visions of "Lucic Part 2" out of their heads ASAP. I think you're definitely looking at more of a Bickell type. Which is fine, but it's going to lend to a lot of questioning along the way (why was he picked so early? why doesn't he score more? etc).

If you're a Hab fan you can only hope his development follows along the path of Tinordi, another American picked in the late-first who went to London and was subject to some pretty harsh criticisms his first year in the OHL. Not that Tinordi has "made it" by any stretch but he's looking like a very good prospect now, compared to his first year of juniors where you had to look pretty hard to find a positive review of his play.

Like Marc said, I don't think the shoulder injury has helped any for sure.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I haven't seen the Knights this year as much as I usually do but he's really failed to do much. Ice time is limited but he hasn't given any reason with his play to get more ice time. The shoulder thing must be a problem which brings up the question, why is he playing?

Aela*

He's not been great, but he's been ok. He does hit quite a bit and usually goes to the net, where he's a great physical presence. He's also been pretty good defensively. But that's about it.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
His development is going to be long and slow, for sure. Even before Montreal picked him I was telling people to get those visions of "Lucic Part 2" out of their heads ASAP. I think you're definitely looking at more of a Bickell type. Which is fine, but it's going to lend to a lot of questioning along the way (why was he picked so early? why doesn't he score more? etc).

If you're a Hab fan you can only hope his development follows along the path of Tinordi, another American picked in the late-first who went to London and was subject to some pretty harsh criticisms his first year in the OHL. Not that Tinordi has "made it" by any stretch but he's looking like a very good prospect now, compared to his first year of juniors where you had to look pretty hard to find a positive review of his play.

Like Marc said, I don't think the shoulder injury has helped any for sure.

I wish someone had said this to me when the leafs drafted Tyler Biggs.

I would say both players are very comparable. Only problem with Biggs is that we traded a first and early second for him. Could have had Jenner or Gibson or even both.

I really do think teams are drafting these big guys early, with the hope that they may become Lucic. Well Lucic is an extremely RARE bread of hockey player. The guy is mean as all hell, and used to be a semi pro boxer if i remember correctly. There isn't even 1 single comparable to him in the NHL. I would consider him an ELITE PF.

In order to be successful you have to have a serious mean streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad