C / RW Joni Ikonen - Ilves Tampere, Liiga (2017, 58th, MTL)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
The only relevant question's been screaming its absence and omission here. So, let me present it: Has Joni always been the more talented player of the two brothers? And what are the main differences between them?

Hard to compare them as prospects since Juuso played 1,5 seasons in Liiga before his draft and still went undrafted. He was always going to be too small for NHL.

Joni is bigger, has better shot, 2 way game and complete level.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Hard to compare them as prospects since Juuso played 1,5 seasons in Liiga before his draft and still went undrafted. He was always going to be too small for NHL.

Joni is bigger, has better shot, 2 way game and complete level.

Oh, he is bigger... Taller or just "bigger"/stockier? -- But yeah, a pretty well-rounded offensive dynamo he seems to be. Maybe he can go even in the 1st round. Interesting no-nonsense approach combined with some dangle.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Oh, he is bigger... Taller or just "bigger"/stockier? -- But yeah, a pretty well-rounded offensive dynamo he seems to be. Maybe he can go even in the 1st round. Interesting no-nonsense approach combined with some dangle.

Taller too. Juuso is 170cm on skates at best. Joni is 6-7cm taller than him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems to be a lot like Tyler Johnson to me. Great skills and won't hesitate to shoot the puck. RH shot.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Measured in at 5'11, 176 pounds. That's enough size for a forward to not hinder him drastically. Could see him be a high second rounder.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
His father was pretty well-liked on Frölunda. One of my funniest hockey memories is when he was injured, but still got dressed pretty much every game in the playoffs to take the faceoff and then skate off.

And btw. The last name is swedish for The Icon :D

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Don't talk ****.
Juuso Ikonen is 175cm ( based on his eliteprospect.com measurement).
Joni is 177cm so he's only 2cm taller than Juuso.

Juuso is 173cm (based on his eliteprospect.com measurement) and Joni is 180cm. 7 cm difference, this guy wasn't talking ****.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ugh, Yotes drop down to 44 and still pass up on this guy.

Great pick by the Habs.

Better luck next summer when Juha Ylonen's ( Juha played in Coyotes during his career and Jesse is born in Scottsdale Arizona October 3 1999) son Jesse is draft eligible.
Joni Ikonen would have been good pick to coyotes but some reason they passed him.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
If it's true that he's very similar to Arvidsson, you guys are gonna love him. Excellent pick.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Excellent prospect, really annoyed we passed and he then went one pick after us. Just as much talent as Vesalainen, could be a steal for the Habs.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If it's true that he's very similar to Arvidsson, you guys are gonna love him. Excellent pick.

Ardvisson is a gamer. Never seen a player suffering so much against the Ducks in the playoffs but yet was the most effective player to kick Anaheim out. If Ikonen comes close to him, I would be ecstatic.

Ikonen and Lehkonen can be lethal wingers for our 2nd line in the future. :yo:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The similarities to Lehkonen are uncanny.

Similar family names.

55th pick vs 58th.

Frolunda program.

Comes from a hockey family.

Similar size.

Both can shoot the puck at a high level.

I had a great feeling about the Lehkonen pick (you can see it in the thread on this very board 4 years ago) and I have a really good feeling about this one. I also like that he's a righty, there's been a significant need for a skilled RH shot on the Habs for a long time. All of of our young skilled forwards are lefties.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The similarities to Lehkonen are uncanny.

Similar family names.

55th pick vs 58th.

Frolunda program.

Comes from a hockey family.

Similar size.

I had a great feeling about the Lehkonen pick (you can see it in the thread on this very board 4 years ago) and I have a really good feeling about this one.

There's some key differences. Lehkonen was further along in his development. He was great in Liiga in his draft year whereas Ikonen struggled against the men. SHL vs Liiga arguments aside, there's still a big gap between 14 goals, and 0 goals.

And of course, Lehkonen was drafted out of the KalPa program, not the Frölunda program.

Regardless, I'm happy we have both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad