C / RW Joni Ikonen - Ilves Tampere, Liiga (2017, 58th, MTL)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Hat trick today through 2 periods against Latvia at the U18's.

Kid has just a great all around offensive game, and a surprisingly powerful release. Any chance he could sneak into the 1st round on draft day?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
This kid is pretty good at hockey. Could see him sneaking into the first round after this tournament. Other than size, seems to have it all.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
This guy seemed awesome against the czech (first real viewing for me). Worked hard off the puck and looked great carrying the puck. Reminds me a bit of nylander with the puck.

How come theres barely any talk about him?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This guy seemed awesome against the czech (first real viewing for me). Worked hard off the puck and looked great carrying the puck. Reminds me a bit of nylander with the puck.

Yeah Joni Ikonen is very talented player.
His older brother Juuso won world junior gold with team Finland in 2014 world juniors.

Also his father Juha was a pro hockey player.
Juha Ikonen represented team Finland in IIHF men's worlds 1998 and won silver with team Finland in that tournament.
Joni's father Juha didn't ever play in NHL but he played in SHL ( Frolunda) and FEL so Joni is grown up in hockey family.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yeah Joni Ikonen is very talented player.
His older brother Juuso won world junior gold with team Finland in 2014 world juniors.

Also his father Juha was a pro hockey player.
Juha Ikonen represented team Finland in IIHF men's worlds 1998 and won silver with team Finland in that tournament.

Juha Ikonen didn't ever play in NHL but he played in SHL ( Frolunda) and FEL.
So Joni is grew in hockey family and Joni's cousin Juhani Ikonen is Team Finland's ex team doctor and one of the most respected hockey and sport doctors in Finland.

I see his brother didnt get drafted...is joni expected to become nhl'er?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I see his brother didnt get drafted...is joni expected to become nhl'er?

Joni can became NHL player but his 5'10 size might an issue for playing Center in NHL.
If Joni plays in NHL someday i can see him a right winger.

Joni is getting drafted but how high.
But Joni has to get more muscle-mass and maybe few inch more size would be good too. Lets see how he develops.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland

I think this was Ikonen's worst game in this tournament. Not bad by any means but he for example didn't take any slapshots and whiffed the puck quite often. Still showed flashes of brilliance but you could see he wasn't 100%.

Also why there isn't much talk about him is because he plays in Sweden and why would the Swedes compliment a Finnish player :sarcasm:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Perhaps my favourite player of the U18s. His vision is excellent, he has a heavy, accurate shot, good speed and extremely quick hands. Could see him sneaking into the first round.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
To me, he should be top 15, maybe higher, imo teams will regret it if they let him slip.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lots of skill, but I'm not sure I take him in the top62. Reminds me so much of Abramov from last year, except I don't think Ikonen is as good.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hoping he's still around when the Yotes pick near the top of the 2nd (35OA).

I really want the habs to leave the draft with this player. I don't think I want to spend our first on him, but I also don't think he makes it to either of our seconds.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The only relevant question's been screaming its absence and omission here. So, let me present it: Has Joni always been the more talented player of the two brothers? And what are the main differences between them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad