C / RW Joni Ikonen - Ilves Tampere, Liiga (2017, 58th, MTL)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221341

Scouting Report https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/chl-import-draft-prospects-part-4/

Joni Ikonen is an undersized, skilled forward with impressive speed.
A diminutive centre, Ikonen does not let his size deter him as he takes direct routes to pucks.
Shows a tenaciousness in puck pursuit and a willingness to get to the gritty areas of the ice.

A player who truly hunts the puck, Ikonen is always buzzing around the net and is able to pounce on loose pucks.
A player above average skating abilities, Ikonen possesses good speed and impressive overall mobility.

Ikonen effortless gains entry to the offensive zone as he’s able to back off defensemen with his speed and puck skills.
With an ability to create space for himself, Ikonen can be dangerous as he shows deceptively strong vision and playmaking skills.

A player who shows creativity offensively and the ability to create for his teammates.
Ikonen is versatile in the offensive zone as a goal scorer and a playmaker.

Ikonen routinely engages and wins puck battles despite average at best size, displaying deceptive strength to his frame.
A player who can play almost to fast at times, Ikonen could better create shooting lanes and show a little more patience in possession.
As he can force things which leads to turnovers.
With that being said the pace issue should improve as he plays with higher skilled/paced players, while the other areas should improve with maturity.

Last edited:

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Ikonen made his debut tonight for Frölunda in Champions Hockey League match against Yunost Minsk.

It will be interesting to see how many chances he will get to play for the men's team during the season.

Seems like he has started the season well in the u20-level.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Have seen him a couple of times this season and the scouting report in OP is accurate with what I've seen. He LOVES to dangle, a little too much at times. But he's creative offensively with good playmaking and a dangerous shot. His size doesn't seem to be much of an issue as he is a very natural skater and is pretty smart when it comes to puck battles. It's actually pretty easy to tell that he is the brother of Juuso Ikonen. Juuso was never drafted to the NHL despite playing his entire draft year in a men's league and putting up points so I'm not sure if Joni will be either but in my view he'd be a good late round selection. It's never wrong to bet on skill.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Have seen him a couple of times this season and the scouting report in OP is accurate with what I've seen. He LOVES to dangle, a little too much at times. But he's creative offensively with good playmaking and a dangerous shot. His size doesn't seem to be much of an issue as he is a very natural skater and is pretty smart when it comes to puck battles. It's actually pretty easy to tell that he is the brother of Juuso Ikonen. Juuso was never drafted to the NHL despite playing his entire draft year in a men's league and putting up points so I'm not sure if Joni will be either but in my view he'd be a good late round selection. It's never wrong to bet on skill.

delete

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Really impressive player, reminds me a lot of David Pastrnak. Stood out more than Vesalainen yesterday in the SHL and today he scored last minute tying and winning goal in J20.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
3 goal and 1 assist today in a 6-2 win. Been heating up the last little while here. 14 goals and 20 points in 17 games so far in SuperElit. Not too shabby. Would be a good mid-round pick I think.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Watched Frölunda and HV71 today. Ikonen was the best player on the ice easily. Was dangerous offensively every time he was on the ice, won a lot of races/battles for loose pucks and was sound defensively, rewarded with s couple points. It was a game Frölunda played really well in and a few other players stood out, mainly Westerlund and Emanuelsson.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Seems to have scored wherever he has played, he doesn't seem to be generating that much conversation which is a bit surprising considering how much better he has been than projected 1st rounder and fellow Finn Vesalainen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Seems to have scored wherever he has played, he doesn't seem to be generating that much conversation which is a bit surprising considering how much better he has been than projected 1st rounder and fellow Finn Vesalainen.

Hard to predict how his game is going to translate to the NHL. Very boom or bust. Would not pick him in the 1st round. Late 2nd round / early 3rd rounder in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00