C Owen Beck - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2022, 33rd, MTL)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Might force Montreal to keep him in the NHL as soon as this year, which would be quite a feat for a 33th pick.

Like I said in July, he already looks like an NHLer.

Regardless of what happens this season, he's as surefire a prospect as I've seen, beyond the obvious superstars.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Might force Montreal to keep him in the NHL as soon as this year, which would be quite a feat for a 33th pick.

Regardless of what happens this season, he's as surefire a prospect as I've seen, beyond the obvious superstars.

I'm trying to find another 2nd rounder that made the NHL riggt away against the odds... could it be a Bergeron-lite situation?

Bergeron was drafted 45th OA yet made the NHL right away. Does anyone remember why? Knowing his game today, I assume its because of faceoff abities and being solid defensively, a bit like Beck. But thats an assumption bc I dont renember at all

Of course, I'm not commenting on potential and ceilings. Beck could well be an NHL ready 3rd liner that is close to his ceiling already.

Any comparable situations that come to mind other than Bergeron?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I'm actually expecting him to force them next year if he keeps this up. After they trade Dvorak would be my guess.

Reactions: abo9

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I'm trying to find another 2nd rounder that made the NHL riggt away against the odds... could it be a Bergeron-lite situation?

Bergeron was drafted 45th OA yet made the NHL right away. Does anyone remember why? Knowing his game today, I assume its because of faceoff abities and being solid defensively, a bit like Beck. But thats an assumption bc I dont renember at all

Of course, I'm not commenting on potential and ceilings. Beck could well be an NHL ready 3rd liner that is close to his ceiling already.

O'Reilly is the most similar situation. Although i think he will ultimately be sent down for a year and it will be the right decision. I think there is a chance he could make the NHL at 19 however if he has a good season and his next camp is as impressive as this one.

Reactions: Captain97 and abo9

Jul 6, 2016
So far , the revelation at the Habs camp. Future middle-six, two-way, effective centerman.

He wins his battles in every part of the ice, so I would say that makes him a guaranteed NHLer. I don't think faceoffs are that important but winning battles is.
BOTH are important.

Reactions: Nevins and Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So far , the revelation at the Habs camp. Future middle-six, two-way, effective centerman.

BOTH are important.
Yep, those 2 things essentially cements him as at least a 4th liner.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
He won’t play the year but he’s certainly impressed. There’s just too much of a logjam up front, and he could use another year in junior and WJC experience.

Reactions: montreal and 1909

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If Montreal was a win now team that needed a center, then Beck would have a very real chance. But as is they'll obviously send him to Mississauga to work on his offensive game.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If Montreal was a win now team that needed a center, then Beck would have a very real chance. But as is they'll obviously send him to Mississauga to work on his offensive game.
Sadly he'll probably be stuck behind Del Bel Belluz in Mississauga.:mad:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

BOTH are important.
One a lot more important than the other. If you had an otherwise AHL caliber center, should he be in the NHL if he can win 57% of his draws vs NHL centers? Probably not, that's actually only about one extra puck win per game if they take the typical 10-20 draws. Meanwhile there will be dozens of puck battles and loose puck situations (which faceoffs are a subset of) every game.

Jul 6, 2016
One a lot more important than the other. If you had an otherwise AHL caliber center, should he be in the NHL if he can win 57% of his draws vs NHL centers? Probably not, that's actually only about one extra puck win per game if they take the typical 10-20 draws. Meanwhile there will be dozens of puck battles and loose puck situations (which faceoffs are a subset of) every game.
When your center lose a faceoffs, you have to run around and hit to get it. Better win the draw, control the puck and create scoring chances. Why do coaches bother to put their best faceoffs centermen to win draws and get possession of the puck at key moments in a game ?;

Reactions: viceroy

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He's a complete player. The his game is tailor made for the pros. Very impressive so far.

If the Habs had an opening at center I think he'd be in serious contention for a spot. With that said, I still think he should go back to the OHL and continue to hone his craft.

Looking forward to seeing his game improve further after another year of development.

Reactions: jj cale

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
No point rushing him with Dach, Monahan, Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans all capable of playing centre.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
For those prospect and draft watchers last year, Are you surprised by how good he's looked in Camp/tournament/Exhibition games? I thought it was sort of expected given how good his fundamentals are.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For those prospect and draft watchers last year, Are you surprised by how good he's looked in Camp/tournament/Exhibition games? I thought it was sort of expected given how good his fundamentals are.

Same exact player.

I get why Habs fans are a bit surprised by him. When you read "safe" or "high floor" in a scouting report the eye rolls start, it usually doesn't portend a good player. But Beck really is close to NHL level and has upside to be a Danault type of guy and that ought to be exciting.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Ryan O’Reilly…that’s the goal here. Now ROR was a #1 overall draft pick in the OHL and I’d say slightly exceeded Beck as a prospect and was actually on the Avs as a second rounder as an 18 year-old but I see some parallels. Even if Beck is a 90% ROR that’s a damn fine player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad