C Owen Beck - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2022, 33rd, MTL)

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Forgive me for no knowing either guy, but curious why Beck was picked ahead of DelBelBelluz.

both centers
DelBell had more goals, assists, better +/-, and is bigger than Beck.

is it skating, or intangibles Or something

Reactions: Wats

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Forgive me for no knowing either guy, but curious why Beck was picked ahead of DelBelBelluz.

both centers

Beck is a superior skater, better faceoff guy, more physical and better defensively. He just went through an offensive slump in the second half.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

both centers

The reason why Bobrov and Lapointe drafted Beck ahead of DBB was because he ''plays the right way,'' and that the way he plays ''wins cups.'' That's the reason that was given. Beck also happens to be a much better skater than DBB.

I had DBB ahead, though.

Reactions: Mrb1p

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

both centers

Just to add on previous replies, iirc LDBB got to play 1st line/PP1 minutes alongside Steelheads arguably best goal-scorer James Hardie all year long whereas Beck was their 2C with tons of PK duty, D zone starts etc.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
So if this guy develops he'll be the Habs 3C for a long time is what I'm reading?

Great on Faceoffs, Good defensively, has a physical element, and a good skater.

Sounds good.
this kid will be a great 3rd line center - if you make me choose between him an KK - i will go for Beck. his hockey IQ and work ethic are way better than KK. he is the guy i wanted the AVS to select last year...but we did not have a 1rst round pick

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
this kid will be a great 3rd line center - if you make me choose between him an KK - i will go for Beck. his hockey IQ and work ethic are way better than KK. he is the guy i wanted the AVS to select last year...but we did not have a 1rst round pick
Beck is the type of player that was an incredibly safe pick. I want this in no way to be taken as Beck > Wright. But with Montreal passing on Wright for Slaf, Beck was the perfect 2nd pick. He is regarded as Wright lite, without the pressure, which right now is not a bad thing (specifically in MTL). Beck could pan out to be a perfect 3C with offensive upside, on an eventual incredibly deep forward group in MTL. Which if Slaf pans out to be what MTL wants/suspects, he fills that void of superstar winger with size. Which I dont feel they could find in later rounds. But Beck could fill the C void that they may have missed with Wright.
The guy has NHL pro written all over him, potentially the best draft in MANY years. Top 4 picks could be wild for the future

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I like Beck's tenacity. He has no quit in his game and seems to find himself in the wright places (see what i did there?). I think he is a candidate for breakout player as he missed an entire year due to Covid and last year was his rookie season. This season will be his coming out party. You can already see the development in his game and added confidence since last season.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
So if this guy develops he'll be the Habs 3C for a long time is what I'm reading?

Great on Faceoffs, Good defensively, has a physical element, and a good skater.

Sounds good.
And he has some legit skills, most likely a solid third line center on a strong team at this point, but not impossible he becomes a good 2nd line center as well. His offensive production should explode next year in the OHL and be a lock for team Canada junior. Kid looked so much better in every areas of the game than Kidney and Kidney made the team this summer as a spare and should make it next winter.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Beck is the type of player that was an incredibly safe pick. I want this in no way to be taken as Beck > Wright. But with Montreal passing on Wright for Slaf, Beck was the perfect 2nd pick. He is regarded as Wright lite, without the pressure, which right now is not a bad thing (specifically in MTL). Beck could pan out to be a perfect 3C with offensive upside, on an eventual incredibly deep forward group in MTL. Which if Slaf pans out to be what MTL wants/suspects, he fills that void of superstar winger with size. Which I dont feel they could find in later rounds. But Beck could fill the C void that they may have missed with Wright.
The guy has NHL pro written all over him, potentially the best draft in MANY years. Top 4 picks could be wild for the future

Beck is what a lot of folks imagined Shane Wright was. The OHL watchers I follow credit Beck with being the better defensive player.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Just keeps getting better everytime i see him play. Surprised the Habs got him in the 2nd round. I think he's poised to break out this season in the O.

Reactions: Dominance

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He wasn't my pick at 33rd, I didn't really like the pick but so far I like what I've seen from him at the rookie camp/exhibitions. He has more offensive flair then I originally saw.

Reactions: hellwar9

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
He is a guranteed nhler player strictly because of his faceoff ability

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
From reading the comments, he sounds a bit like Pinto.

Wins puck battles, great on the dot, this draft could be a home run for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad