C Owen Beck - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2022, 33rd, MTL)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Can’t believe Beck only has 4 posts total and we are less than a month from the draft.

I know this isn’t a super impactful draft from an OHL standpoint but he just finished third after Wright and Mintyukov in Brock’s OHL scouts poll and there is so, so much to like about his game and that seems very translatable to the next level. Obviously starts with the skating but the compete, intelligence, sneaky strong and even face-offs.

I think he’s been labeled a bit prematurely as a safe but “low upside” choice but I see the opposite - much like a Ryan O’Reilly, I think he’s a guy who is eventually going to find a higher offensive gear at the next level than his junior numbers suggest.

In a draft lacking in center prospect depth and you’ve got this guy who is I think way more highly regarded by the scouting community than casual stats watchers who has speed and smarts and is a true blue center at the next level - I think it’s a recipe for a guy who is going to get picked much higher than the lack of talk suggests. I think he’s a first round lock and possibly a guy who could get picked towards the first half of the round. It won’t be sexy and it won’t generate much excitement but it may end up being smart.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that the problem with him is that he has no standout skill. Ideally you'd like to see better imagination from him when he has the puck. I do agree that there is a lot to like about him. Excellent two way player, fantastic on FO's, vg shot, strong, vg speed and edges, good in puck battles and the cycle...he does a lot of things that you want a middle six C to do. Coaches will love him, i'm guessing.

I wonder if another year or two n junior is what he needs to develop his offense?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think that the problem with him is that he has no standout skill. Ideally you'd like to see better imagination from him when he has the puck. I do agree that there is a lot to like about him. Excellent two way player, fantastic on FO's, vg shot, strong, vg speed and edges, good in puck battles and the cycle...he does a lot of things that you want a middle six C to do. Coaches will love him, i'm guessing.

I wonder if another year or two n junior is what he needs to develop his offense?
I would say of course that we would expect almost every pick in this draft aside from maybe Wright to need/get more time developing outside the NHL but I do wonder - is Beck going to be the type of guy who gets to the NHL much quicker than anticipated due to the his durable skill set?

I hate to keep coming back to the ROR comp but he’s got some of those qualities. O’Reilly was the 33rd overall pick in 2009 but then jumped into the NHL right after being a 2nd round pick as an 18 year-old because he could already play a bottom six role.

And that early arrival didn’t hurt O’Reilly’s offensive development at all even though he was a bottom six guy the first couple of years with limited chances offensively. I think sometimes we put too much stock in “well I want to see prospect ‘X’ dominate the juniors instead of learning on the fly in a depth role at the NHL level because it will be better for his development”. I think it is more about an individual prospect’s feet and brains being quick enough to grasp the game at the next level more than point totals - at least early on.

This is a long-winded way of saying not that I think Beck will become a Conn Smythe and Selke winning top 10 center in the league -and to be fair, O’Reilly had better offensive numbers his draft year and was talented enough to be the #1 overall pick in his OHL draft so I think Beck probably falls short in natural skill. I just that I feel a lot of the buzz and value I remember with ROR as a prospect are the same kind of traits being ascribed to Beck. So even a poor ish man’s O’Reilly is gonna be a helluva player.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the Second Round, 29th Overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the Mississauga Steelheads, Beck was hurt by the fact that the OHL cancelled the entire 2020-21 season due to COVID-19. Despite that setback, Beck was able to put together a solid rookie season in Mississauga this year. He put up 21 goals and 30 assists for 51 points in 68 regular-season games. Beck also had the chance to play in the OHL playoffs. He put up one goal and five assists for six points in 10 playoff games. Beck and the Steelheads were able to defeat the Barrie Colts in six games in the first round. They ran into a powerhouse Hamilton Bulldogs team in the second round and lost in four games.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
He could go in the 20’s. There is a lot to like about his game and not much to dislike.
Wouldn’t mind another C prospect if we can’t snag one of the bigger D at 25.

Reactions: teddygmr

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He could go in the 20’s. There is a lot to like about his game and not much to dislike.
Wouldn’t mind another C prospect if we can’t snag one of the bigger D at 25.
He doesn't have one great skill but is just average in everything, He does always give it his all though. I think he's an early 2nd rounder.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Went to a few Steelheads games this past season and Beck always seemed to factor into the scoring, one way or another. Noticed him more than DelBelBelluz, at any rate.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Can’t believe Beck only has 4 posts total and we are less than a month from the draft.

I know this isn’t a super impactful draft from an OHL standpoint but he just finished third after Wright and Mintyukov in Brock’s OHL scouts poll and there is so, so much to like about his game and that seems very translatable to the next level. Obviously starts with the skating but the compete, intelligence, sneaky strong and even face-offs.

I think he’s been labeled a bit prematurely as a safe but “low upside” choice but I see the opposite - much like a Ryan O’Reilly, I think he’s a guy who is eventually going to find a higher offensive gear at the next level than his junior numbers suggest.

In a draft lacking in center prospect depth and you’ve got this guy who is I think way more highly regarded by the scouting community than casual stats watchers who has speed and smarts and is a true blue center at the next level - I think it’s a recipe for a guy who is going to get picked much higher than the lack of talk suggests. I think he’s a first round lock and possibly a guy who could get picked towards the first half of the round. It won’t be sexy and it won’t generate much excitement but it may end up being smart.
hoping he's there a 38 and the Leafs pounce. They need more centers in their ststem

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would say of course that we would expect almost every pick in this draft aside from maybe Wright to need/get more time developing outside the NHL but I do wonder - is Beck going to be the type of guy who gets to the NHL much quicker than anticipated due to the his durable skill set?

I hate to keep coming back to the ROR comp but he’s got some of those qualities. O’Reilly was the 33rd overall pick in 2009 but then jumped into the NHL right after being a 2nd round pick as an 18 year-old because he could already play a bottom six role.

And that early arrival didn’t hurt O’Reilly’s offensive development at all even though he was a bottom six guy the first couple of years with limited chances offensively. I think sometimes we put too much stock in “well I want to see prospect ‘X’ dominate the juniors instead of learning on the fly in a depth role at the NHL level because it will be better for his development”. I think it is more about an individual prospect’s feet and brains being quick enough to grasp the game at the next level more than point totals - at least early on.

This is a long-winded way of saying not that I think Beck will become a Conn Smythe and Selke winning top 10 center in the league -and to be fair, O’Reilly had better offensive numbers his draft year and was talented enough to be the #1 overall pick in his OHL draft so I think Beck probably falls short in natural skill. I just that I feel a lot of the buzz and value I remember with ROR as a prospect are the same kind of traits being ascribed to Beck. So even a poor ish man’s O’Reilly is gonna be a helluva player.

:eek3: 33rd

Beck was 60.6% on 1300+ faceoffs taken, the best or second best in the league. Watching some highlights, he already looks like an NHLer.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm really happy with that pick as a Habs fan.

He is a first round talent, i see him easily to become at least a top 9 C in NHL with his good two-way game and great on faceoffs. Top 6 potential is there too.

Like his shot, his hands, his skating ability, great tools, for sure!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Very nice pick by the Habs . I’m jealous . Habs prospect pool went from “meh” to very very good in one draft.
Im still pissed that you guys got Slaf but I’m happy with Nemec.
Not so sure if who was there at 13 is going to be better or worse than Dach , but the rest of the picks by the Habs were as close to perfect as you can get.

Reactions: Revansky

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Very nice pick by the Habs . I’m jealous . Habs prospect pool went from “meh” to very very good in one draft.
Im still pissed that you guys got Slaf but I’m happy with Nemec.
Not so sure if who was there at 13 is going to be better or worse than Dach , but the rest of the picks by the Habs were as close to perfect as you can get.

Montreal already had Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Harris, Roy, Kidney and Farrell. Add to that the actual draft class and the 2023 draft class… the rebuild is more advanced than people want to admit

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Montreal already had Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Harris, Roy, Kidney and Farrell. Add to that the actual draft class and the 2023 draft class… the rebuild is more advanced than people want to admit
Was decent before , Guhle and Barron at the top is excellent but after that it’s “good” . Now it’s very damn good .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad