Prospect Info: C Nathan Smith (2018 3rd, 91st overall)

Do you like this pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
According to the sun,Wong is doing another year of school before university. Same as smith or is there a mix up?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
According to the sun,Wong is doing another year of school before university. Same as smith or is there a mix up?
Yeah I couldn’t quite tell in Chevy’s interview if it was Smith, Moe, or Wong who was doing another year before going to a college program. I’m guessing it’s Wong who’s going to Harvard.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yeah I couldn’t quite tell in Chevy’s interview if it was Smith, Moe, or Wong who was doing another year before going to a college program. I’m guessing it’s Wong who’s going to Harvard.
I thought attending these development camps voided College entrance?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Wong is for sure not at harvard till 2019. Not sure on AJHL or USHL though (from his interview yesterday)

Shehatesme22

Jun 25, 2018
Smith is returning to Cedar Rapids this year.

This is right. As I don't know how hockey works, if you guys own the rights to him for (2 years?) and he is going to Cedar Rapids for a year, do you have to sign him before the end of his first year with Minnesota?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is right. As I don't know how hockey works, if you guys own the rights to him for (2 years?) and he is going to Cedar Rapids for a year, do you have to sign him before the end of his first year with Minnesota?

If he goes to Minnesota State we can't sign him. He'll become ineligible to play in the NCAA if he signs an contract, so we'll have a few more years after he starts his college career, and can sign him when he chooses to leave college

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If he goes to Minnesota State we can't sign him. He'll become ineligible to play in the NCAA if he signs an contract, so we'll have a few more years after he starts his college career, and can sign him when he chooses to leave college

Basically the Jets own his rights for 4 years after being drafted if he's being drafted outside of the CHL and is going to an NCAA camp. That's the simplest breakdown of his eligibility and rights.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks. Are they afraid I'll run amok skewing the results of polls? I'll bet if I paid the membership fee I would get full privs right away. :sarcasm:

On the old site there was an explanation of the rules for new members. Not sure where it is now. Explanation may be the wrong word. It was a statement of what they were. Not sure what the reasoning is. There is a stateent somewhere of the privs of sponsors. I don't recall a shorter probationary period being one of them. :laugh:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Met Moe on a plane and he said he was returning for one more year of junior before college. Said he was going to play for Minn State in 2019/20.

Reactions: Sweech

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I really like this pick, I hope it works out.

Here is a snippet of a new story in the Athletic.

"“He’s got a real unique skill level, and ability to handle pucks and make plays through guy’s feet, stuff you don’t see very often,” Giese told The Athletic. “He’s got slippery skill. Usually you only find it in high-end first-round guys, here’s a kid who had it and you’re able to get him in the third round. ”" - Winnipeg scout Max Giese

Tampa trailblazer Nathan Smith shows an NHL dream can be...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I really like this pick, I hope it works out.

Here is a snippet of a new story in the Athletic.

"“He’s got a real unique skill level, and ability to handle pucks and make plays through guy’s feet, stuff you don’t see very often,” Giese told The Athletic. “He’s got slippery skill. Usually you only find it in high-end first-round guys, here’s a kid who had it and you’re able to get him in the third round. ”" - Winnipeg scout Max Giese

Tampa trailblazer Nathan Smith shows an NHL dream can be...
Max Geise is everywhere on these boards.

I expect Smith to be our biggest riser next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Max Geise is everywhere on these boards.

I expect Smith to be our biggest riser next year.

He is both a late B'day and an overager. So about 1.5 years older than most '18 picks. Turns 20 in Oct. Maybe growing up playing roller hockey explains being a late bloomer. :laugh:

This is an interesting pick. If he continues to develop well he could be good but he needs to be on a pretty steep trajectory, considering his age. It will be intriguing to watch his progress at Mankato next season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He is both a late B'day and an overager. So about 1.5 years older than most '18 picks. Turns 20 in Oct. Maybe growing up playing roller hockey explains being a late bloomer. :laugh:

This is an interesting pick. If he continues to develop well he could be good but he needs to be on a pretty steep trajectory, considering his age. It will be intriguing to watch his progress at Mankato next season.

Did he change his plans? Everything I've read says he is staying in the USHL for another year. That's the part that concerns me, along with his age.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did he change his plans? Everything I've read says he is staying in the USHL for another year. That's the part that concerns me, along with his age.

Don't know. I had forgotten about that. EP shows him as going to Minn State U at Mankato next year.

I would say that he did well enough in the USHL last year that he should be able to make the jump to NCAA. But I'm not speaking from a well informed place here. If he isn't up to it at 20 YO, I would be pretty skeptical of his potential.

Maybe his issue is academic?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
^ I'm going to make an educated guess and say he'll be at Mankato next season.

A possible future FA signing out of NCAA for the Jets could be Lucas Sowder. He's played hockey/roller hockey with Nathan Smith since they were 5 years old up until Mitchell High School in Florida where they tore apart the competition. They are both committed to playing at Mankato together and will obviously have some pre-existing chemistry. Lukas is also a late '98 birthday and put up some really good stats in the BCHL last season:

Lucas Sowder at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad