Prospect Info: C Nathan Smith (2018 3rd, 91st overall)

Do you like this pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
-He's not even eligible for that for another year and a half.
-He's already 23 years old. How long do you think he wants to wait to start his career?
-The drafting teams have quite a few advantages to offer, starting with being the only team that can sign him this year.

Smith can sign with any team after August 15 2022 as a UfA…. It’s not a year and half away.

even though he is playing in his 3rd college year…..It’s been 4 years since he has been drafted. He played an extra year in the USHL after being drafted b4 attending college. wheeler did the same thing and went UFA after his 3 rd year of college.

The Jets advantage is that he turns 24 in October after the Sept 15 th deadline for the upcoming season.

As a 23 year old he has to sign a 2 year ELC regardless if he signs with the Jets in April or if he goes UFA to a different team in August.

If he had turned 24 b4 Sept 15 th he could go to a new team as a UFA on a 1 year ELC….

The Jets can sign him to a 2 year ELC in April for the remainder of the season and get a 92k signing bonus in his hands asap and use up one of his 2 ELC years this year.

Smith also stated in a few interviews that he has been in constant communication with Jets , helping his development.

I expect him to sign with the Jets in April after he is done in the NCAA playoff tourney in which his team is a favourite.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Just in case he sign with another team , don’t the jets get a draft pick or some compensation from other team or not?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That team is stacked with older players performing well. Of the 15 top scoring players, only Smith has been drafted. Their #1 G, Dryden McKay is also undrafted. He is obviously way too small for the NHL but he has been outstanding through 4 years in NCAA. In fact there is only 1 other player on that roster who has been drafted. Dman Benton Maass, by the Caps in '17 in the 6th rd.

I'm always wondering if there might be some overlooked good players in NCAA. I know they are heavily scouted so it should be unlikely. But might some good players be getting missed because of things like size bias?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he'll look good on Lowry's RW and will help our bottom 6.
Lowry between Stastny/Gus and Smith might be a good line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad