Prospect Info: C Nathan Smith (2018 3rd, 91st overall)

Do you like this pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Nice hands and vision on this kid. Nice long strides to when he skates. He looks like he can fly out there and makes it look effortlessly. Hopefully he can carry it on next year and in college. Finding a guy like this when no on really knows who he is pays off when you have a large scouting staff

Reactions: intu1tive

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Very happy with this pick. Pre-draft I loved the scouting reports on him and definitly wanted the Jets to draft him. I was thinking he'd be available a few rounds later but glad the Jets got their guy when they could.

Minnesota State Mankato just graduated Jets prospect CJ Suess and now they send another prospect to this championship program. I fully expect a huge freshman year coming up.

Reactions: intu1tive

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I get it. Off the board, reach, etc. but what gives me confidence is our organizational depth has really been rounded out with mid round picks from the states during Jets 2.0

Reactions: ruffus23 and mazmin

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Looks a little raw but there’s no doubt there’s a lot of talent there.
Let him perk for a few years and hopefully he develops into something special.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Can someone post his scouting report from hockeyprospect.com's Black Book? Of all the services, they were the highest on him.

I think I summarized it in the general draft thread, but with the shit show that was HF the last few days who knows if it even showed up. Here's the actual entry.

This has him going to college this fall as well, but from all we've heard recently he's going back to the USHL for 18-19.

fMmLQsL.png

Reactions: JetsFan815

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
There was some prominant (top 15) pick last year from minnesota that chose to stay in high school for hockey rather than play in a higher League. I think his reasoning was "it was a really fun time" this seemed to be the big knock against him.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
There was some prominant (top 15) pick last year from minnesota that chose to stay in high school for hockey rather than play in a higher League. I think his reasoning was "it was a really fun time" this seemed to be the big knock against him.

Was that Mittelstadt? I think I remember that. He was having fun playing with his friends and it rubbed some people the wrong way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The guy is like 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL why ask the question if I like the pick?
Chevy and his staff have proven themselves they know what they are doing. I don't want to hear from a fan its a great pick or a terrible pick.

Do you like the pick now compared to the available options?
A year from now, do you still like the pick?
After another year, do you still like the pick?

Pretty easy concept. If you don't want to exchange thoughts and opinions with other fans what do you come here for?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Do you like the pick now compared to the available options?
A year from now, do you still like the pick?
After another year, do you still like the pick?

Pretty easy concept. If you don't want to exchange thoughts and opinions with other fans what do you come here for?
Fair enough. I come here to read about the latest Jets info ... I don't like any negativity about the Jets.

Shehatesme22

Jun 25, 2018
Just joined because i know Nate personally. I was lurking on hear to see what you guys thought of him. What i can say is you don't get just a good hockey player but you get a high class guy that likes to work and is respectful. You won't have off field issues or anything like that.
Reason for no one knowing much about him is he lives in Florida and started out on wheels not blades. He didn't get notices till he moved out of Florida after high school. He was at home sat. during draft and flew out sun morning but got held up in Dallas (cancelled flight).
If you have any questions i'll try to answer them, just remember i'm not a hockey guy so type slow lol

Packofwolves

Nov 5, 2017
Just joined because i know Nate personally. I was lurking on hear to see what you guys thought of him. What i can say is you don't get just a good hockey player but you get a high class guy that likes to work and is respectful. You won't have off field issues or anything like that.
Reason for no one knowing much about him is he lives in Florida and started out on wheels not blades. He didn't get notices till he moved out of Florida after high school. He was at home sat. during draft and flew out sun morning but got held up in Dallas (cancelled flight).
If you have any questions i'll try to answer them, just remember i'm not a hockey guy so type slow lol
Welcome aboard.Thanks for sharing this information

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough. I come here to read about the latest Jets info ... I don't like any negativity about the Jets.

You're not alone but you are always going to see some negativity here. It is a chat site, not a news site. Maybe we need a cheer-leading thread. :laugh:

We had the Positivity Thread last season. It was pretty good actually, but I don't know what it would be like if we were losing. :laugh:

Part of my reason to be here is to have a place to vent my frustrations but I also like just bouncing my thoughts off other fans, especially the more knowledgeable ones. And cheering is good too.

Shehatesme22

Jun 25, 2018
Very happy with this pick. Pre-draft I loved the scouting reports on him and definitly wanted the Jets to draft him. I was thinking he'd be available a few rounds later but glad the Jets got their guy when they could.

Minnesota State Mankato just graduated Jets prospect CJ Suess and now they send another prospect to this championship program. I fully expect a huge freshman year coming up.

I do believe the predators called him saying he was on there board in the 4th. His agent was in Dallas at the draft and called Nate to tell him there is know way he makes it pass the 5th round.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I do believe the predators called him saying he was on there board in the 4th. His agent was in Dallas at the draft and called Nate to tell him there is know way he makes it pass the 5th round.
Gotta assume florida teams would have taken a midround flyer on him as well.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Great. Thanks for the information. Good to know other teams were interested.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Good to see that there was mutual identifying of prospects among the teams. Thanks for sharing the info, Shehatesme22. He's a Jets prospect now, so we're all pulling for him to meet and exceed expectations. I mean, he's not a 6'7 coke fridge on skates that was taken in the 1st round, so he'll have a much less polarising reception here. :P

Reactions: KillEmAll83

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

That's really good information to have because it validates the Jets use of a 3rd round pick on Nate. The Jets were without a 4th so they had to strike early on him.

Also glad to hear he's a good guy. We hear he likes to work hard and Winnipeg fans respect those types of players. If he can pot some big goals he'll become a cult legend.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Interesting that virtually all reports have him as a dynamic skater, yet one that posted here said his skating was a weak point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting that virtually all reports have him as a dynamic skater, yet one that posted here said his skating was a weak point.

He resembles Wheeler a bit in terms of skating and style. He even produced slightly better in the USHL albiet he was a year older. Wheeler however has 4 inches on him which helps immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->