C Mika Zibanejad (2011, 6th overall, Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Zibanejad scored a goal tonight in Djurgårdens playoff-loss against Luleå. Djurgården is now out of the playoffs but Zibanejads 1+1 in 7 games is actually the second best result ever by a 17-year old ever in the playoffs. Zibanejad will play for Djurgården in the Superelit-playoffs and for the national team in the u18 wjc, so it's not the last we see from him this season.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I expect a dominating U18 Worlds and yet more climbing now. He had a really great game today as well, after a couple of less impressive performances.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He was unbelievable today. Haven't seen that many games lately, but he was very noticable and he would've been the likely guy to score for DIF in that overtime had they won. He's in for a breakout year in a big way next season. Should be a great WJC-18 for him, and I'd say he'll be sniffing that top10 draft spot.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I made the video that was posted on the previous page and have updated it with highlights from the post-season:

A summary of the clips is in the description.
All clips are in chronological order except the last (his goal vs. Skellefteå) because I felt that it was a good clip to end the video on.

It doesn't have any music but if you think something would fit, please suggest it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This kid is really really special.

I mean, I would like to describe him like this.

Every year we have a bunch of kids, like 10-15, who are said to be special. Guys like Burmistov, MPS and co. Very good prospects. While most players from this cathegory kind of half-busts, I am sure most stars also comes from this category, with the later developing a lot after being drafted.

But then, above that cathegory, you have a cathegory of darn special kids. The Forsbergs. The Sundins. The AOs. The Malkins. The Jagrs. The Crosbys. On the border to this category, I would put the Sedins.

Mika Zibanejad is sniffing on the later group. Some of the plays he make, I've basically not seen from a 17 y/o swede since Forsberg/Sundin. He isn't -- nearly -- as established as those two were at the same age -- so I am definitely very hesitant to put him in that category.

But this kid could be special.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC

Every year we have a bunch of kids, like 10-15, who are said to be special. Guys like Burmistov, MPS and co. Very good prospects. While most players from this cathegory kind of half-busts, I am sure most stars also comes from this category, with the later developing a lot after being drafted.

But then, above that cathegory, you have a cathegory of darn special kids. The Forsbergs. The Sundins. The AOs. The Malkins. The Jagrs. The Crosbys. On the border to this category, I would put the Sedins.

Mika Zibanejad is sniffing on the later group. Some of the plays he make, I've basically not seen from a 17 y/o swede since Forsberg/Sundin. He isn't -- nearly -- as established as those two were at the same age -- so I am definitely very hesitant to put him in that category.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cry:

(Why did he have to rise so much! :rant:)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cry:

(Why did he have to rise so much! :rant:)

I wonder if this is the reason for why we have heard so little about him?

I mean, if scouting services/media are talking to a pro-amature-scout, the later can pretty much talk freely about most kids in the top 15-30 because they know give or take a bit that most feel the same way about them (while not letting go of how they rank those kids against each other).

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Nah, I would say the rise and all the talk about him is due to his promotion to the SEL and impressive play whilst there. Some teams and scouting bureaus doesn't even scout the U20-league, just the national team tourneys.

I know a lot of the Swedish-based scouts are quite dissapointed about his great SEL play, because they wanted him to stay a bit of a "secret" and grab him outside of the first round, where he probably would've been without all this attention and his now shown ability to compete on the highest level in Sweden.

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå

Geez talk about being hyped. Just comparing MP to Zibanejad at the same age one would think MP belongs to the other category and Zibanejad to the ? category. The kid has great potential no doubt and have taken a huge step this year but to claim he is at this point sniffing at the other category is absurd after what, almost half a season of SEL experience.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Geez talk about being hyped. Just comparing MP to Zibanejad at the same age one would think MP belongs to the other category and Zibanejad to the ? category. The kid has great potential no doubt and have taken a huge step this year but to claim he is at this point sniffing at the other category is absurd after what, almost half a season of SEL experience.

Yeah for sure, and setting the bar that high definitely if not anything else makes him a bit of a boom/half dissapointement-player.

And like I said, he is very unproven compared to those players.

But, I would down-right lie if I didn't say thats what I felt when I've seen him.

Like, its one thing for a MPS to be a great skater and take advantage of that when he gets into a fot-race. I think MPS is a great prospect, and that he have had a very good first year given the circumstances in EDM, and the fact that he still is just 20 y/o. I think he will become a star down the road in the NHL.

But what Mika Zinbanejad have done thats to take the puck in possible and impossible situations, and a big majority of times been able to create offense. While also being one of the biggest hitters on the ice and working the point on the PP et c.

Mika Zinbanejad at the same age is behind Nik Bäckström and MPS as players. For sure. Don't get me wrong. But like more then anyone else from Sweden I've seen lately, he is showing the ability to become like a true goto -- shift after shift -- offensive force.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
just posting this up here so i can brag if this actually happens LOL....

my hunch: mika is gonna fall to 20th overall, leafs trade up for him as he is there #1 guy and wont last till 25-30.....
i know, i know typical dumb leaf fan gonna draft _____, blah, blah but i strongly feel this is gonna happen

on a side note wish i could see more footage of him, but from what i see i think hes gonna be the real deal

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
With the LA pick, I really hope Edmonton gets this guy. Been wanting him for sooo long.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Playoffs 7 games 1+1, how was he playing?

I didn't watch whole series but he was a leading force in game 7 overtime, that alone is a pretty high grade. He scored a goal in that game, and took faceoffs in the defensive zone with just seconds on the clock. It was a very tight series, and the team they played (Lulea) likes to play it tight, hence a reason he didn't put up that many points. Guys like Marcus Nilsson and Hannula had 3 points each for example.

Should be really fun to watch him in the U18 WJC!

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
With the LA pick, I really hope Edmonton gets this guy. Been wanting him for sooo long.

Thats a tough one. With the way he has been playing this year, I really dont see him dropping past the 15-17 spot. Especially if you consider some of the offensive starved teams drafting in that particular area.

For example Calgary.. Who I hope has this kid high up on their draft list, as he would bring some much needed talent to the forward group. He also would fill a C role that Calgary is also missing other then Backlund.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mika Zibanejad = Henrik Zetterberg

Fair comparison? A better comparison?

While Nashville doesn't have a first this year, this is a prospect I like a lot, and I wonder what others think about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad