C Mika Zibanejad (2011, 6th overall, Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Couturier is/was recovering from mononucleosis, I think that would have a major effect on his compete leve. I've had some friends catch it and it took them a long time to get back to where they were physically.

I'm not dissing the Ottawa scouts but I can't shake the feeling that is another Lee over Kopitar situation in waiting. The gap between the two won't be as big, but I think Couturier will be elite while Z-bad will top out as very good.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Couturier is/was recovering from mononucleosis, I think that would have a major effect on his compete leve. I've had some friends catch it and it took them a long time to get back to where they were physically.

I'm not dissing the Ottawa scouts but I can't shake the feeling that is another Lee over Kopitar situation in waiting. The gap between the two won't be as big, but I think Couturier will be elite while Z-bad will top out as very good.

How many people want to bring this up? We get it, and GUESS WHAT? I'm sure the scouts were well aware of that too.

Very low chance Couturier becomes an elite NHL player....that is if you think Jordan Staal is elite. He doesn't have the drive. Zibanejad most likely won't become one either.

4thliner*

You can never underestimate players that have the size, skill, speed and the drive.

I expect Zbad to be a 65 pt bad ass 2 way center/winger.

He is being underrated if you don't think he will be an impact player in the NHL. He brings a lot to the table.

Afro Thunder*

Seeing how this a completely different scouting staff and GM this comment makes no sense.

This is the same scouting staff that has drafted Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen, Perry and Getzlaf in the 1st round, I think they know a thing or two about drafting and compete level in a player when they see it.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Seeing how this a completely different scouting staff and GM this comment makes no sense.

This is the same scouting staff that has drafted Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen, Perry and Getzlaf in the 1st round, I think they know a thing or two about drafting and compete level in a player when they see it.

Rundblad was a draft day trade, but your point still stands.

TheOriginalSilf*

Can we not stick with "Zibby"? Simplicity and style all-in-one.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I like Ziberace.

I am very excited for him, I see him maybe turning into a sort of Tuomo Ruutu-Backstrom hybrid. Less physical, less skilled, but overall a solid defensive, physical pivot with strength and good offensive ability. I know Ruutu plays mostly wing but he used to be more of a C IIRC. Its hard to find a comparable for him. I also like the Getzlaf-lite comparison although Zibanejad seems more competitive to me. Not that Getzlaf is a lazy player, he just isnt always as visibly present. Zibanejad seems like he will be more visible even when he's not scoring, although thats not necessarily a big positive, just a difference in style of play.

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
I see Z-Bad as a Fisher type player, that can make a jump to 2nd line center and make a big impact. Fisher was never able to make that jump, he was too skilled to be on the 3rd line, but didn't have the hands to be a competitive 2nd line center. Z-Bad on the otherhand, has all of the above... I see him reaching 65-70pts in the prime of his career. Glad we took him over Couturier.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The moment Noesen was picked I was in shock. I thought this was the opportunity to select Puempel and I was really, really surprised they went for Noesen at 21. I'm not sure I was disappointed, but I just didn't know enough about Noesen to lose Puempel for (before we traded to get the extra 1st of course)..

when tim murray announced noesen as the 21st pick, i was shocked because i didnt hear noesen's name very well on the tv and all the mocks i had seen leading up to the draft, he was taken in the 2nd round.

but rumours swirling (things ive read or heard on tv, take it with a grain of salt) that anaheim was actually prepared to take noesen with their pick. once the noesen pick happened, bob murray traded anaheim's pick to toronto. bryan murray actually compared noesen to corey perry in the sense of playing style, grit and overall work ethic. i mean who better than to say that then the man who drafted corey perry.

icefists*

I could be wrong but I thought I read some where that Zibanejad was recommended by Anders Forsberg, and his advice to us about Swedish players hasn't exactly hurt us over the last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad