C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
However I think most on here would like to see a prospect finish strong going into the next season instead of finishing weaker. Rasmussen was strong, Vilardi pretty weak, which I think is enough to to wipe out the .1 ppg difference and say they had extremely similar seasons
dude, no matter the different opinions, you are one of the few here who just keep talking nonsense. One had a hot streak, the other had not. One was able to play through his injury and one wasn't.

And how was Vilardi’s end of the season weak, no worse.....pretty weak ?

8 goals & 8 assists in his final 9 RS games and led his team in the playoffs with 11 goals and 11 assists in 16 games played.

19 goals in his 25 final games.

Extremely weak.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
dude, no matter the different opinions, you are one of the few here who just keep talking nonsense. One had a hot streak, the other had not. One was able to play through his injury and one wasn't.

And how was Vilardi’s end of the season weak, no worse.....pretty weak ?

8 goals & 8 assists in his final 9 RS games and led his team in the playoffs with 11 goals and 11 assists in 16 games played.

19 goals in his 25 final games.

Extremely weak.

Weak compared to the rest of his season.. you think Vilardis 1.38 PPG for 16 games in the playoffs compares to his start to the season when first returned? 16 games in a decent portion of his season when his season was 48 games total and shows how hot his start was when he finished the regular season with a 1.81 point per game. You dont think that playing the last 33% of your season at a 0.5 PPG difference is finishing the season on a weaker note than you started it?

Explain where the nonsense is in that? In comparison to his start, thats a pretty weak finish to his season. Its not like I'm saying hes a bust, just that his hotter start wasnt how he finished

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
To bring this back to focus on Rasmussen a bit, I collected some of his highlight from development camp earlier in the summer:

Goal
D9nXKK.gif

Pass
l54ZyM.gif

Burst of speed and set-up to Zadina
9QMJq4.gif

Puck protection, assist
XoOgDo.gif

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Weak compared to the rest of his season.. you think Vilardis 1.38 PPG for 16 games in the playoffs compares to his start to the season when first returned? 16 games in a decent portion of his season when his season was 48 games total and shows how hot his start was when he finished the regular season with a 1.81 point per game. You dont think that playing the last 33% of your season at a 0.5 PPG difference is finishing the season on a weaker note than you started it?

Explain where the nonsense is in that? In comparison to his start, thats a pretty weak finish to his season. Its not like I'm saying hes a bust, just that his hotter start wasnt how he finished
No dont try to change the subject with the bust thing.

Just tell to me how his season ending with 19 goals and 19 assists in 25 games played was pretty weak, just because he didnt continue his pace of 1.81 PPG but only had 1.38 PPG?

Are you for real ?

That is complete nonsense no matter how you try to spin it now.

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Really hope Vilardi and Rasmussem play on the same team at some point in their career just for the laughs.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No dont try to change the subject with the bust thing.

Just tell to me how his season ending with 19 goals and 19 assists in 25 games played was pretty weak, just because he didnt continue his pace of 1.81 PPG but only had 1.38 PPG?

Are you for real ?

That is complete nonsense no matter how you try to spin it now.

I'm not sure what you dont understand. 1.38 PPG is weak compared to 1.81 PPG. Its a difference of .5 points per game which over the course of the season really adds up. I'm not saying its weak compared to other players in the league, I'm saying its weak compared to his start. Over the course of a full season 1.81 PPG would be around 130 points, 1.38 would be 99.

99 points is still a good season but clearly weaker than putting up 130.

Not sure whats so hard to comprehend about that. Try reading this post over a couple times before you reply

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm not sure what you dont understand. 1.38 PPG is weak compared to 1.81 PPG. Its a difference of .5 points per game which over the course of the season really adds up. I'm not saying its weak compared to other players in the league, I'm saying its weak compared to his start. Over the course of a full season 1.81 PPG would be around 130 points, 1.38 would be 99.

99 points is still a good season but clearly weaker than putting up 130.

Not sure whats so hard to comprehend about that. Try reading this post over a couple times before you reply
Because its probably one of the worst arguments i have ever read here.

Calling somebody seasons end pretty weak because he couldnt keep up a 1.81 PPG pace but only had 1.38 PPG to end it.

I have seen it all now...

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Because its probably one of the worst arguments i have ever read here.

Calling somebody seasons end pretty weak because he couldnt keep up a 1.81 PPG pace but only had 1.38 PPG to end it.

I have seen it all now...

All he's saying is rassmusen as the year went along started to put up more points (compared to himself) and vilardi put up less (compared to himself).

That's a fact. You can choose to dismiss it as not very indicative of anything or take exception with his word choice but it isn't even close to the worst argument ever.

He's choosing to interpret the data as showing rassmusen getting healthy and developing as the season went along, till he surpassed what vilardi was doing.

What else could you ask for other than for a prospect to develop over the course of the year?

Reactions: newfy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2017-18 Regular season + playoffs combined:

Vilardi 1.67 points per game. (48 games, 33 goals+47 assists = 80 points)
Rasmussen 1.51 points per game. (61 games, 47 goals+45 assists = 92 points)

Both are great to have.

LA got a good gamble for a back injured player and Red Wings won't look stupid when getting Rasmussen.

Let's move on.

Reactions: A Few Good Males

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
All he's saying is rassmusen as the year went along started to put up more points (compared to himself) and vilardi put up less (compared to himself).

That's a fact. You can choose to dismiss it as not very indicative of anything or take exception with his word choice but it isn't even close to the worst argument ever.

He's choosing to interpret the data as showing rassmusen getting healthy and developing as the season went along, till he surpassed what vilardi was doing.

What else could you ask for other than for a prospect to develop over the course of the year?
I am not talking about Rasmussen, neither did i disagree with the numbers.

Thats the problem i always have on this site, people downgrade the other player because their favorite prospect is getting compared to that specific player. To make a point, they dont talk about the strengths of their favorite player, no they dismiss everything of the other and thats what is going on here.

If you think Vilardi didnt develop over the course of the year because he couldnt keep up that ridiculous pace, than you are just as ridiculous. Besides what is developing. Everybody can go on a hot streak, whether it is at the beginning of the year or the end. I need more seasons to determine that.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Thats the problem i always have on this site, people downgrade the other player because their favorite prospect is getting compared to that specific player. To make a point, they dont talk about the strengths of their favorite player, no they dismiss everything of the other and thats what is going on here.

If you think Vilardi didnt develop over the course of the year because he couldnt keep up that ridiculous pace, than you are just as ridiculous. Besides what is developing. Everybody can go on a hot streak, whether it is at the beginning of the year or the end.

I'm just explaining why his argument isn't the worst one ever heard. They're both great prospects. Makes perfect sense to me they were taken 2 spots apart.

I personally think Rasmussen's floor is higher and vilardi's cieling is higher.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Before the draft I really really didn't want to take Rasmussen. He was the one guy I didn't want. On draft day, I was upset. Since then, I'm happy with Rasmussen's development. Would I have still preferred Necas or Vilardi, yes, but that doesn't matter anymore. Can we just give that whole debate a rest? Maybe we can revisit it in 5 years when they're all NHLers. I'd much prefer to just actually talk about Rasmussen's development this year and what we can expect in his first NHL season (which we all assume will be this year).

Reactions: Bevans

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I didn't want the Kings to take Rasmussen in 2017, but he's definitely looking good.

Both teams are undoubtedly happy with who they got. Rightfully so.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I’m glad most have warmed up to Rasmussen by now, it was a real struggle arguing against masses of angry Red Wings fans and “prospect experts” who thought he was the worst top 10 selection of the 2000’s :laugh:

Reactions: 99664987

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m glad most have warmed up to Rasmussen by now, it was a real struggle arguing against masses of angry Red Wings fans and “prospect experts” who thought he was the worst top 10 selection of the 2000’s :laugh:

I would say most wings fans, but not most in general. He probably won’t be top 50 in the top prospects poll going on right now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

If you think Vilardi didnt develop over the course of the year because he couldnt keep up that ridiculous pace, than you are just as ridiculous. Besides what is developing. Everybody can go on a hot streak, whether it is at the beginning of the year or the end. I need more seasons to determine that.

Never downgraded him and said he could end up better, you need some reading comprehension practice. I never said Vilardi didnt develop, I literally said Vilardi started out hotter and Rasmussen finished hotter and literally broke down the numbers to show it. If I'm down grading Vilardi by saying that I think hes a similar calibre of prospect then I guess thats what I'm doing.

I would rather a prospect finish strong instead of starting and slowing down. I dont think he didnt develop but I also dont think hes the player that got top 5 prospect in the world talk when he started on that ridiculous pace either. He looks like a very good prospect I've never said that.

I'm sorry that I compared Vilardi to him and used stats to back up my point, wont do something logical again like that

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

IMO he's the most over criticized prospect around here. But maybe I'm just thinking that because I'm a Wings fan.

The only guy I particularly remember getting written off ridiculously around here was Gaudreau. And I don't mean this as a comparison to him at all, as I don't ever expect Ras to be at that level. I just remember people immediately writing Johnny off as a nobody because of his size.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IMO he's the most over criticized prospect around here. But maybe I'm just thinking that because I'm a Wings fan.

The only guy I particularly remember getting written off ridiculously around here was Gaudreau. And I don't mean this as a comparison to him at all, as I don't ever expect Ras to be at that level. I just remember people immediately writing Johnny off as a nobody because of his size.

Well yeah, Gaudreau broke the mold to an extent. He was always a low floor, high ceiling guy. Not sure there has ever been an elite forward that plays at the weight he does. Even someone like Martin St. Louis probably has like 20 lbs on Gaudreau.

Rasmussen is a high floor guy, the point of contention with him has always been how high is the ceiling.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
To bring this back to focus on Rasmussen a bit, I collected some of his highlight from development camp earlier in the summer:

Goal
D9nXKK.gif

Pass
l54ZyM.gif

Burst of speed and set-up to Zadina
9QMJq4.gif

Puck protection, assist
XoOgDo.gif
Zero offensive skills, clearly. Third line C and dumb PP netfront presence ceiling.

For real though, just look at these clips. People who don’t watch him assume he has awful speed, acceleration, and agility just because of his size, but his skating has always been one of his assets. He’ll surprise a lot of people this fall.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I could have sworn you were down on Rasmussen and are now seeing some great potential in him lol. I couldn't agree more with you. Ramussen is a player that you warm up to after seeing him play more often.

I didn't like him as a pick after the wings drafted him, but once I saw him at development camp, it totally changed my opinion.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I could have sworn you were down on Rasmussen and are now seeing some great potential in him lol. I couldn't agree more with you. Ramussen is a player that you warm up to after seeing him play more often.

I didn't like him as a pick after the wings drafted him, but once I saw him at development camp, it totally changed my opinion.
Nope. You can look in my previous rankings and all throughout this thread. I’ve been projecting him as a 1B Center who can slot in starting as early as 2018/2019.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
His production in the WHL doesn't seem to be that good to make the jump in NHL at 19?

Real good player get about 1.5-2 ppg in their draft + 1. (Marner, Barzal, Draisatl, Ehlers)

Rasmussen hasn't dominated WHL yet.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
His production in the WHL doesn't seem to be that good to make the jump in NHL at 19?

Real good player get about 1.5-2 ppg in their draft + 1. (Marner, Barzal, Draisatl, Ehlers)

Rasmussen hasn't dominated WHL yet.
He dominated the playoffs and the last part of the season when he got healthy. If you include his playoffs he had 92 points in 61 games, which is right around that 1.5 ppg. That said, I don't think it is a guarantee he makes the NHL. It'll depend on his camp and how he does in his 9 games (if he gets them).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He dominated the playoffs and the last part of the season when he got healthy. If you include his playoffs he had 92 points in 61 games, which is right around that 1.5 ppg. That said, I don't think it is a guarantee he makes the NHL. It'll depend on his camp and how he does in his 9 games (if he gets them).

Funny thing is, I don't really care about his WHL effort. It was nice to see him doing well this 2017-18 campaign, but still most impressive has been his last pre-season games against other NHLrs, where he looked so good that he almost made it straight to NHL.

There's nothing left in junior hockey for him.

When AHL is out of options, only option is NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad