C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Funny thing is, I don't really care about his WHL effort. It was nice to see him doing well this 2017-18 campaign, but still most impressive has been his last pre-season games against other NHLrs, where he looked so good that he almost made it straight to NHL.

There's nothing left in junior hockey for him.

When AHL is out of options, only option is NHL.
This.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Some will try to sell us that he's a defensive minded 1C, Selke guy, David Backes, all that, but he probably will not. Chances are that he'll be a low-end second line guy or a high-end third line guy. That very well might fit in well for his pick slot in 10 years. That might not look bad once their careers unfold compared to the "flashy prospects" that some preferred, but at the same time keep in mind that Rasmussen is just as unlikely to fulfill his "potential" as some of these "flashy prospects."

Literally no one is doing that though. If you say you think Rasmussen can be a second line center in the NHL you get called out for it. If you think hes comparable to guys he was drafted around you get called out for it.

Noone is saying hes a 1st line selke center, but its like you cant even say he looks good for where he was picked on here without people disagreeing with it, despite the numbers saying otherwise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Literally no one is doing that though. If you say you think Rasmussen can be a second line center in the NHL you get called out for it. If you think hes comparable to guys he was drafted around you get called out for it.

Noone is saying hes a 1st line selke center, but its like you cant even say he looks good for where he was picked on here without people disagreeing with it, despite the numbers saying otherwise.

I saw some comments of this sort. I'm not going to call them out for it, but its there.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't dislike Rasmussen or anything like that, but I think a lot of people overestimate the success rate of prospects. I was having this discussion the other day in the Ranger section. A bunch got upset that I said the two later firsts we took were unlikely to ever be top 4 defensemen. And statistically I took a sample of five recent drafts in a row, and 50% of the defensemen taken in the first round were top 4D. It was a very small percentage among those taken in the latter 1/3 of the first round. So I wasn't wrong.

Some might be criticizing Rasmussen out of disliking his game, but its important to keep in mind that almost every first round prospect out there is overrated compared to the rhetoric surrounding them. Not every first round forward prospect will be a top 6 forward, not every first round defensemen will be a top 4 defensemen. With a guy like Rasmussen, he's probably no different in being overrated by some than the average prospect. The only difference is that some might actually be representing his upside fairly in an unintentional way. Some will try to sell us that he's a defensive minded 1C, Selke guy, David Backes, all that, but he probably will not. Chances are that he'll be a low-end second line guy or a high-end third line guy. That very well might fit in well for his pick slot in 10 years. That might not look bad once their careers unfold compared to the "flashy prospects" that some preferred, but at the same time keep in mind that Rasmussen is just as unlikely to fulfill his "potential" as some of these "flashy prospects."

There is no such thing as a "safe pick" or anything of that sort. Unless Rasmussen or the "safe pick" could step in and be a good NHL'er the day they are drafted, they are not a safe pick. There is still projection involved with nearly all of these "safe picks" becoming NHL'ers in the first place. Just to give a comparison to my own team again. A lot of fans get really upset if someone says that the consensus of "experts" pegs Andersson as a 2C or 3C. I think they are trying to protect the team from criticism. I see the same thing happening here. Why try to protect your team? Call the situation out for what it is. Your team took a different style player with a first round pick. Not a "flashy guy with big upside." They went for the middle of the lineup grinder who can do some of everything. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. It'll be determined eventually whether that was a smart pick or not, but don't sell Rasmussen to us as something that he's not.
This isn't wrong.... but it could be copy-pasted into literally every thread on every prospect with a couple words changed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This guy just goes out and does work quietly killing it. Does big things in the little areas, I can't wait to see how he translates to the league this year.

Reactions: 99664987

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

2+1 in 3 preseason games so far.

6 goals in 8 preseason games between last year and this year. Safe to say he is making the NHL.

Say what you want about his skillset but the guy has just produced everywhere hes been. 6 goals in 8 preseason games should be enough to get bare minimum 9 games to start the year

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Watched him for 2 games in the playoffs vs the Victoria Royals. We were missing our top 2 centres and he completely dominated. Not sure it would have been any different for us with healthy centres.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I’ll take the guy you dont notice but puts up 6 goals in 9 career preseason games past two years than a flashier prospect who hasn’t found the back of the net much. He may not be able to create his own offense, but he sure as hell can finish it.

Boring player to watch and limited skillset, but he is very, VERY, good at what he does do.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I’ll take the guy you dont notice but puts up 6 goals in 9 career preseason games past two years than a flashier prospect who hasn’t found the back of the net much. He may not be able to create his own offense, but he sure as hell can finish it.

Boring player to watch and limited skillset, but he is very, VERY, good at what he does do.
who u referring to?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Very similar to Anders Lee in this regard, who has scored a lot of goals the last few years.

Reactions: Castle8130

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Looks like he is sticking in Detroit. Currently at 9 games and coach confirmed he is staying past that mark and will be playing his 10th game. Great news for him...

Rasmussen isn’t going back to junior, at least not at the present time, Blashill confirmed. He will play his 10th game of the NHL season on Tuesday, meaning that under the CBA, one year of Rasmussen’s entry-level contract will be used up.

“Obviously tomorrow is the 10th game, so we told him as of today, you’re staying and you’re playing through those games,” Blashill said. “I think the biggest thing we would focus on, from my perspective, we need to win but we also need to make sure we’re doing the best thing we can for Michael Rasmussen long-term and our assessment as we stand here today is that the best thing to do is keep him here and keep playing.”

Reactions: kabidjan18

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Looks like he is sticking in Detroit. Currently at 9 games and coach confirmed he is staying past that mark and will be playing his 10th game. Great news for him...

Rasmussen isn’t going back to junior, at least not at the present time, Blashill confirmed. He will play his 10th game of the NHL season on Tuesday, meaning that under the CBA, one year of Rasmussen’s entry-level contract will be used up.

“Obviously tomorrow is the 10th game, so we told him as of today, you’re staying and you’re playing through those games,” Blashill said. “I think the biggest thing we would focus on, from my perspective, we need to win but we also need to make sure we’re doing the best thing we can for Michael Rasmussen long-term and our assessment as we stand here today is that the best thing to do is keep him here and keep playing.”

After a timid first few games, Rasmussen has been noticeably more involved the past 3-4 since his initial sit. I agree with this decision. Think getting on the scoredboard (and not getting it called back this time), would do a lot to help his confidence. The effort is there, and the past few games he has much improved forechecking, boardplay, and backchecking. He's also had excellent positioning on screens for a few of our PP goals, which has been surprisingly effective given how bad the Wings are.

I am still optmistic he will eventually develop into a very useful all around player. Will guys like Necas or Vilardi (if he ever plays again), develop better? Possibly, but Rasmussen's floor is already apparent as NHL caliber, even as a 19 year old.

I think he's just playing a bit scared and is a bit insecure right now, he was EXCELLENT in the preseason. A goal or two would really help kickstart him imo.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not ready

After the first 3 games I thought the same but his last 5 or so he looks like hes belonged enough to play 3rd line mins all year. Hes had a couple great chances and could probably be sitting on 3 goals right now. Even in those first 9 games you could see his game progress enough to the point that I think he should stay.

Worst case they send him down before the 40 game mark, let him play world juniors and go on a mem cup run. Blashill said a lot oft he things he needs to work on like moving the puck quicker are all things that wont really get improved in juionr because he'll have too much time. A full junior season would be a waste, 40 NHL games plus WJC before going back to junior could help him a lot

Reactions: Ulysses31

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would rather him be sent down but he has at least played well enough to not stand out in a bad way.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The Wings terrible center depth hasn’t helped him. Hard to blame a 19 year old for not producing when Glendening is his center. He has done a good job screening the goalie on the PP at least. Both Cholowski’s and Hronek’s PP goals this year were short side goals with the goalie looking around Rasmussen.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Wings terrible center depth hasn’t helped him. Hard to blame a 19 year old for not producing when Glendening is his center. He has done a good job screening the goalie on the PP at least. Both Cholowski’s and Hronek’s PP goals this year were short side goals with the goalie looking around Rasmussen.
Maybe Rasmussen himself should be the centre then. I have no idea, I haven't watched one iota of him and the Red Wings this season. Doesn't he project as a centre?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->