C Michael Rasmussen - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2017, 9th, DET)

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
If he remains healthy, playing with Zetterberg (and Nyquist) for the majority of his shifts and power play minutes, then I would expect him to produce 40+ points in 2018-19.

I don't think he's ever going to be a particularly elite player, but I can see him putting up great point totals consistently like JvR, while also being a complete 200-foot winger that assumes the Tomas Holmstrom role on the power play.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I have a feeling he will end up being another Logan Brown. Definitely doesn’t go top 10 in a re-draft.
Another Logan Brown? Another guy that is still a prospect and you have no idea how his career is going to turn out?

That's a weird comparison to make

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Just another Logan Brown with the NHL ceiling of Brian Boyle. They might be better off trying to turn him into a Chara.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Excited to see if he can reproduce what he did in the pre-season last year. He's going to be a handful to move on the boards and around the net.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Probably because of the odds.

Most of the time players of that size turn out to be a big dissapointment.
Yet tiny players constantly get ”steal of the draft!!” thrown at them despite odds being even worse.

Ras will be in NHL in 2 months, kinda feels like arguments about him only go in circles at this point. Just wait and we’ll see if he crashes and burns.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yet tiny players constantly get ”steal of the draft!!” thrown at them despite odds being even worse.
Ok, but what size that is and who are those tiny steals ?

There is a good amount of players of 5’11” / 6’0” in the NHL in contrast to 6’5” / 6”6” forwards.

I would love to see another Eric Daze in the NHL but I disagree with odds being worse.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There's a lot more people that are 5'11" or 6' than there are 6'5"+

Also, it's a lot harder for a big person to have the skating ability and dexterity required to play in today's NHL. Which Michael Rasmussen certainly has.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
If he remains healthy, playing with Zetterberg (and Nyquist) for the majority of his shifts and power play minutes, then I would expect him to produce 40+ points in 2018-19.

I don't think he's ever going to be a particularly elite player, but I can see him putting up great point totals consistently like JvR, while also being a complete 200-foot winger that assumes the Tomas Holmstrom role on the power play.

There’s no way he puts up 40+ in his rookie season, he probably doesn’t even make the NHL this year. You are right he will never be an elite player, most likely a 3C with a chance of becoming a 2C if everything goes right.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
There’s no way he puts up 40+ in his rookie season, he probably doesn’t even make the NHL this year. You are right he will never be an elite player, most likely a 3C with a chance of becoming a 2C if everything goes right.
What..? He has nothing left to prove in the WHL. Detroit isn't sending him back unless 100% necessary. He likely won't be a center in the NHL, considering the drafting of Joseph Veleno, who's a smarter and more prototypical center.

He's going to play wing in the NHL in 2018-19, and if he plays with Z and Gus and on the power play (as posted), expecting 40+ points is nothing miraculous. Did you even think this post through?

Reactions: 99664987

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
What..? He has nothing left to prove in the WHL. Detroit isn't sending him back unless 100% necessary. He likely won't be a center in the NHL, considering the drafting of Joseph Veleno, who's a smarter and more prototypical center.

He's going to play wing in the NHL in 2018-19, and if he plays with Z and Gus and on the power play (as posted), expecting 40+ points is nothing miraculous. Did you even think this post through?

You will be very disappointed if you are expecting 40+ points lol. The Wings would have been better off drafting Vilardi if Rasmussen is going to play wing in the NHL.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
You will be very disappointed if you are expecting 40+ points lol. The Wings would have been better off drafting Vilardi if Rasmussen is going to play wing in the NHL.
Which year did you travel to the past from? Vilardi is not as good as Rasmussen.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah he is and he’s a C, anyway you should lower your expectations for Rasmussen before you end up disappointed.
No, he isn't, and they're both natural centers. You should lower your expectations for Vilardi before you end up disappointed.

For all your talk about Rasmussen being "most likely a 3C", in what world is Vilardi going to play center over Kopitar or Carter? Exactly: None.

Rasmussen is a better winger AINEC.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
No, he isn't, and they're both natural centers. You should lower your expectations for Vilardi before you end up disappointed.

For all your talk about Rasmussen being "most likely a 3C", in what world is Vilardi going to play center over Kopitar or Carter? Exactly: None.

Vilardi will most likely be a top 6 C in the future once Carter falls off. Rasmussen screams disappointment considering where he was drafted.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Vilardi will most likely be a top 6 C in the future once Carter falls off. Rasmussen screams disappointment considering where he was drafted.
Great, a 2nd line center at 23 years old. Tell me more about how much of a disappointment Rasmussen will be, despite destroying the WHL playoffs as a winger, and making it to the NHL at 19 years of age.

Again, Rasmussen is a better winger AINEC, and he will make an impact at the NHL far before Vilardi because of that.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Vilardi played wing most of his draft year, and is very good as a RW since his board work is fantastic. I know you like Rasmussen, and I think he'll be a good top 6 forward, but Vilardi is absolutely a better prospect than him, regardless of which position he ends up playing.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Great, a 2nd line center at 23 years old. Tell me more about how much of a disappointment Rasmussen will be, despite destroying the WHL playoffs as a winger, and making it to the NHL at 19 years of age.

Again, Rasmussen is a better winger AINEC, and he will make an impact at the NHL far before Vilardi because of that.

I would expect Rasmussen to destroy the WHL considering his size but how will he do in the NHL which is a much stronger, faster, skilled league? And who cares if he has an impact before Vilardi. It’s not a race and in the end I think Vilardi will be much better.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Vilardi played wing most of his draft year, and is very good as a RW since his board work is fantastic. I know you like Rasmussen, and I think he'll be a good top 6 forward, but Vilardi is absolutely a better prospect than him, regardless of which position he ends up playing.
It's too bad that I think your opinion is so much worse than your username. Wintersun is fantastic.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I would expect Rasmussen to destroy the WHL considering his size but how will he do in the NHL which is a much stronger, faster, skilled league? And who cares if he has an impact before Vilardi. It’s not a race and in the end I think Vilardi will be much better.
Size does not equal skill... Rasmussen was great in the preseason as an 18-year old against players of all ages. He's a better skater than Vilardi, better in the neutral and defensive zones, and plays in what most coaches would consider the most important area of the ice - around the net.

Rasmussen has more size than most players at the NHL level. He's faster than most players of his size. His skill set compliments the current state of the NHL. We'll revisit this discussion at the end of the season and see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad