C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting. His skating and dynamic ability are what I’ve liked most about him. Was my favourite Swede at the U18 5 Nations last year when he only scored 1 point.

I didn't say he was bad at either, but he's not a Raymond or Lysell in terms of those two areas. He's closer to a Marco Rossi, which is why the questions will come in. At that size, how dynamic is his skating and offense? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. It'll be good enough to play in the NHL, but being dynamic compared to non-prospects isn't going to cut it. You have to be the best of the best, and I don't think he is.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I didn't say he was bad at either, but he's not a Raymond or Lysell in terms of those two areas. He's closer to a Marco Rossi, which is why the questions will come in. At that size, how dynamic is his skating and offense? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. It'll be good enough to play in the NHL, but being dynamic compared to non-prospects isn't going to cut it. You have to be the best of the best, and I don't think he is.

The posters above your initial post were saying that they think Eklund will be a top 10 pick. You said they may be wrong because his skating isn't elite, like Raymond's (who went fourth) but similar to Rossi's (who went 9th). So, is Eklund a potential top 10 pick in your estimation or not? I'm not trying to argue. I just find your comments confusing and wouldn't mind some clarification.

I feel the 2021 draft is wide open and Eklund certainly seems to be rising in the rankings of late, perhaps because he is a bit of a late-developer or maybe because he is playing right now (and producing) whereas some of the other prospects previously ranking higher than him are not playing and therefore have no where to go but down in the rankings.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The posters above your initial post were saying that they think Eklund will be a top 10 pick. You said they may be wrong because his skating isn't elite, like Raymond's (who went fourth) but similar to Rossi's (who went 9th). So, is Eklund a potential top 10 pick in your estimation or not? I'm not trying to argue. I just find your comments confusing and wouldn't mind some clarification.

I feel the 2021 draft is wide open and Eklund certainly seems to be rising in the rankings of late, perhaps because he is a bit of a late-developer or maybe because he is playing right now (and producing) whereas some of the other prospects previously ranking higher than him are not playing and therefore have no where to go but down in the rankings.

I thought I was clear. No, I do not believe with his type of skillset that its worth picking him in the top 10. The upside to what he can bring is not high enough, and there's still a real downside because he's an undersized kid who isn't an elite skater. Maybe I'd reconsider if we are talking about him scoring 1PPG in the SHL for a full season.

And I do agree that the 2021 draft is wide open. I personally think some people are overreacting too much to a good season by Eklund. He's going to likely be a first rounder, but we don't need to start jumping him into the top ten (or higher) without considering the full skillset just because he's having a successful season. I know it's exciting to start making wild swings in a ranking, but I think there should be a little more reason to some of these decisions.

If you look at some recent drafts, Caufield was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 15. Perfetti was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 10. Rossi was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 9. What do all these guys have in common? Undersized players, and then some combination of a lack of elite offensive and/or elite skating. If you look to someone like Raymond, he might not have been an elite skater (although I think he skates better than those three and Eklund), but he's also a kid that Detroit likely calculated can be a Panarin or Marner in five years.

It's a hard combination to find enough value in picking a player that high when there are concerns in major parts of the game, and you are likely talking about a player who plays the less valuable forward position. A player like Eklund will be more scrutinized for a top ten selection than a well-rounded center or defenseman. Add to this that Eklund would be rising into the top ten as opposed to initially pegged there for a year or two before the draft, and I find it hard to believe that we are talking about a top ten pick.

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I thought I was clear. No, I do not believe with his type of skillset that its worth picking him in the top 10. The upside to what he can bring is not high enough, and there's still a real downside because he's an undersized kid who isn't an elite skater. Maybe I'd reconsider if we are talking about him scoring 1PPG in the SHL for a full season.

And I do agree that the 2021 draft is wide open. I personally think some people are overreacting too much to a good season by Eklund. He's going to likely be a first rounder, but we don't need to start jumping him into the top ten (or higher) without considering the full skillset just because he's having a successful season. I know it's exciting to start making wild swings in a ranking, but I think there should be a little more reason to some of these decisions.

If you look at some recent drafts, Caufield was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 15. Perfetti was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 10. Rossi was talked about as high as 3, and dropped to 9. What do all these guys have in common? Undersized players, and then some combination of a lack of elite offensive and/or elite skating. If you look to someone like Raymond, he might not have been an elite skater (although I think he skates better than those three and Eklund), but he's also a kid that Detroit likely calculated can be a Panarin or Marner in five years.

It's a hard combination to find enough value in picking a player that high when there are concerns in major parts of the game, and you are likely talking about a player who plays the less valuable forward position. A player like Eklund will be more scrutinized for a top ten selection than a well-rounded center or defenseman. Add to this that Eklund would be rising into the top ten as opposed to initially pegged there for a year or two before the draft, and I find it hard to believe that we are talking about a top ten pick.

I haven’t seen Eklund this season and don’t know what his stats look like right now. I also haven’t seen most of the other potential first-rounders. But based on past years following the draft and watching Eklund last season, I could easily see him being a top-15 or even top-10 player. I haven’t seen your concerns. All that said, I can also see him dropping, especially in a draft that’s this close. There are 7 or 8 (or more?) players I’ve seen listed as first overall contenders and Eklund isn’t one of them – outside of the top 8, you’re usually in a territory where players could go anywhere in a fairly large range.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Only way for you to even consider Eklund in the top 10 of a draft is if he (if he doesn't miss ~10 games to injury) breaks U19 SHL scoring records, and is at the top of U20 records? Seems a little off.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I've only seen him play once thus far this season, but one of the things that stood out to me in Eklund's game was how fast he was. I thought he had a great first step and top speed. There's obviously more to skating than that, but I thought he looked good regardless.

I suspect the Lysell versus Eklund argument is one that'll continue throughout the season. I'm pretty high on both of them and see them both as top ten picks, but I've got Eklund ahead right now if only because he's putting up nearly the same numbers as Lysell against much tougher competition. We've still got a lot of hockey between now and draft day though, and I've seen almost all of Lysell's games for Frölunda versus one of Eklund's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only way for you to even consider Eklund in the top 10 of a draft is if he (if he doesn't miss ~10 games to injury) breaks U19 SHL scoring records, and is at the top of U20 records? Seems a little off.

Thats not what I said. If the basis for Eklund's rise is points in the SHL, he'll need to score at historic rates for me to be convinced. If his skillset improves, of course I'll reconsider my viewpoint.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean he’s on pace to break SHL draft eligible records. I haven’t watched him outside these highlights, but I’m going to have to soon.

Reactions: hn777

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
I’m a devils fan and I’ve been watching these games, Holtz is playing amazing but eklund would still be putting up numbers without him. He looks great on every shift he takes. Never lost and always making calculated plays in a split second. Really good hockey IQ and skill set on this kid. Teams are probably going to pass over him because of size and they’re going to heavily heavily regret it

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Will be interesting to see if he's just on an amazing hot streak or if he can actually keep this up. Right now he's the one driving the play on his line with Holtz. He's actually the top forward in the SHL when it comes to winning pucks back, creating scoring chances, driving offense etc. according to the analytics people.

Hockeylabbet del 4 - Serieledaren synas, säsong 2020
Screenshot_20201129-105602_TV4-Play.jpg

(?)

Last edited:
Reactions: slumpy43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad