C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Everyone ranked in the top 10 is
Eklund's not in anybody's top 10 right now, really. Though he should be getting there.

Currently leading the SHL in Even Strength P/60. Pretty impressive considering he has the 18th highest EvS TOI/GP when it comes to forwards(his linesmate Holtz has 8 seconds less and sits at 21st), so it's not due to a lack of ice time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know how well this works, but what instantly comes to mind when I think of comparisons for Eklund is pre-injury Fabbri. A little bit of an undersized winger who isn’t blazing fast, but his sense and skill is really good.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He’s been my favourite 2021 prospect since I first saw him a year ago. I’ve seen him around 10 times now and was never disappointed. He’s just so consistently outstanding.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To quote the dude from scouching, "This William Eklund guy is looking like a guy."

I'm really liking this kid's puck protection and distribution.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Eklund's not in anybody's top 10 right now, really. Though he should be getting there.

Currently leading the SHL in Even Strength P/60. Pretty impressive considering he has the 18th highest EvS TOI/GP when it comes to forwards(his linesmate Holtz has 8 seconds less and sits at 21st), so it's not due to a lack of ice time.

He is definitely one of the risers right now.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Watched a lot of today's game for Holtz. I like Eklind's motor, confidence, and shot, but I'm not seeing high end skills. He also hangs onto the puck too long at times. Obviously the kid is 18 and producing amazingly so I'm nitpicking a little.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Why is he ranked so low?
Only explanation I have is that people in North America (who are publishing the largest share of public rankings) haven’t watched him or paid attention last season. The talent was always obvious.

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Only explanation I have is that people in North America (who are publishing the largest share of public rankings) haven’t watched him or paid attention last season. The talent was always obvious.

True. Coronavirus situation has turbo-charged the fact that exposure is everything. The 02s, 03s and 04s will be affected by this. I mean, at the end of the day, do people really think that Wallinder and Grans will be the two best 02-defenders and Robertson the best 03-fwd:huh:?

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I think he's going top 10 for sure. He's gonna slowly rise all year. He's playing too good right now for that not to happen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think some of the above posts are wrong. He's a good prospect, but he's a late birthday, he's undersized, he's not a blazing fast skater, and his offensive skills are very good but might not meet the dynamic threshold. I can see why some would be hesitant to rank the guy where his point totals might indicate he should be. You cannot formulate a ranking based largely on who is scoring how many points. Production does matter, but projection also does.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I think some of the above posts are wrong. He's a good prospect, but he's a late birthday, he's undersized, he's not a blazing fast skater, and his offensive skills are very good but might not meet the dynamic threshold. I can see why some would be hesitant to rank the guy where his point totals might indicate he should be. You cannot formulate a ranking based largely on who is scoring how many points. Production does matter, but projection also does.
Interesting. His skating and dynamic ability are what I’ve liked most about him. Was my favourite Swede at the U18 5 Nations last year when he only scored 1 point.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad