C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
More like practice for the WHC, but even that is a bit questionable since top NHL and KHL players would probably fill the slots. KHL I think has recently limited the number of players they are allowing for these tournaments.

But, playing for the National team is still obviously lucrative for the players, they are not going to decline the invitation.

It's not a good thing for clubs in a normal season, now the fact that they had to keep on playing these tournaments during a pandemic really bit them in the ass. And it's the clubs paying the price, not the federations.

Ya couldn't remember if it was WHC or Olympics.

So the money grab went sour and now and the teams who lost their players pay? Woof. Someone is going to take some heat on that.

Thanks again for the update.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ya couldn't remember if it was WHC or Olympics.

So the money grab went sour and now and the teams who lost their players pay? Woof. Someone is going to take some heat on that.

Thanks again for the update.
I mean they don't "pay" as in money, they pay the price as in risks. They lose their best players, and they receive no financial compensation. The national hockey federations make the money.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean they don't "pay" as in money, they pay the price as in risks. They lose their best players, and they receive no financial compensation. The national hockey federations make the money.

Ya thats what I was trying to say.
Pay as in losing their players for no real gain.
Like IIHF always wanting NHL to cover some costs for NHL players insurance but IIHF taking all the profits and rewards etc

Reactions: LOFIN

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Unfortunate. Let's hope Anton has a full and quick recovery.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Covid has really affected his 2nd half of the season, from national teams quarantine straight into HIFK’s quarantine

Florida down the middle will be scary for a long time.
Barkov, Lundell, Bennett

Reactions: Ippenator

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Interesting comments by the coach Jalonen after the game. He said "Anton is very thirsty in the offensive ends and does those things well, but in his own end, while moving well and trying, he often wanders around in random positions".

Basically saying his defensive game needs work.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Interesting comments by the coach Jalonen after the game. He said "Anton is very thirsty in the offensive ends and does those things well, but in his own end, while moving well and trying, he often wanders around in random positions".

Basically saying his defensive game needs work.
Barkov will whip him into form

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
At the end of the day young 2 way forwards can have bad days too in their own end i guess.
Yesterday wasn't one of those bad days IMO; so it was a bit of a weird comment. He broke up plays and won battles in his own zone

He was talking in a general sense, not referring to a specific game.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Yesterday wasn't one of those bad days IMO; so it was a bit of a weird comment. He broke up plays and won battles in his own zone

He was talking in a general sense, not referring to a specific game.
Ok yeah your right. Weird comment indeed since i've thought he's been fine defensively too, it's the rest of the team being so inconcistent with the defence that makes it harder for him to stand out more with the defence in Jalonen's eyes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Strange comment. Originally the rap on Lundell was that he lacked offense, even though he was acknowledged to be a really responsible two way player with size. Oh, and they ragged on his skating. He's no Mike Gartner, but he always looked ok to me.

Maybe the coach is one of those persnickety types who must have all his players do things exactly his way, or he sees it as wrong. I've run into a lot of those....its way worse in baseball.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
He has been really good in the World Championships, basically the best attacker in the team so far, quite impressive.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Strange comment. Originally the rap on Lundell was that he lacked offense, even though he was acknowledged to be a really responsible two way player with size. Oh, and they ragged on his skating. He's no Mike Gartner, but he always looked ok to me.

This. I wonder what the next thing will be.

I can't wait to see what kind of player Lundell will become. I think he's going to Florida next season, though I expect him to play the first year partly in the AHL. Barkov will be amazing mentor for him.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad