C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

GetBentDotCom

Jan 22, 2020
The reason Anton fell in the draft is not too hard to figure out.

NYR took the consensus #1
LA took the Big C project #2
Ottawa took a stud C #3
Detroit took a talented Swede #4
Ottawa went Big Solid D #5 (see SC Champs TBL with Hedman + Dallas)
Anaheim - stud puck moving D #6
NJ picked a sniper for their two top C #7 (no need for Anton with Hughes + Hischier)

After those picks it gets dicier:

Buffalo went sniper #8 (first curve ball for me). Guess they wanted more immediate impact?
Minnesota picked a hyped C #9 (possible home run, or not)
Winnipeg bet on a project #10
Nashville went with a goalie #11

It's a deep draft, but I still think FLA hit the jackpot.
Hahaha

Reactions: Guttersniped

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The guy you quoted doubts Ekblad is a #1D.
Loves shitting on the Panthers all the time.

Excuse me but I’ve defended Panthers a ton

If it makes me a Florida hater that I don’t see Elblad in the same tier as Hedman/Jones/Josi/Carlson/Pietrangelo types or from the kids Heiskanen/Makar types so be it

& there hasn’t been lot to praise recently in Floridas actions pre this offseason

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Excuse me but I’ve defended Panthers a ton

If it makes me a Florida hater that I don’t see Elblad in the same tier as Hedman/Jones/Josi/Carlson/Pietrangelo types or from the kids Heiskanen/Makar types so be it

& there hasn’t been lot to praise recently in Floridas actions pre this offseason

You can't even defend your claim of Ekblad not being a #1 though.
Have done some math with all those guys you mentioned, sans Makar/Heiskanen.
Will post it in FLA's training camp thread.
But don't want to derail this thread from Lundell any further.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
No sense is burning a year on the ELC in such an iffy year for FLA.
I'd assume he comes over to FLA when his Liiga season ends to meet everyone, workout, find a home/rental/someone to live with and get familiar with the area and team strategies.
He might get the 5 (or is it 6 games) though to get the slide? In general it would probably be pretty good for him: he could get a third of a season salary which is like a full season in Liiga Inthink

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
No sense is burning a year on the ELC in such an iffy year for FLA.
I'd assume he comes over to FLA when his Liiga season ends to meet everyone, workout, find a home/rental/someone to live with and get familiar with the area and team strategies.

I expect him to play in the World Championship tournament if there is one after the Liiga season.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
You can't even defend your claim of Ekblad not being a #1 though.
Have done some math with all those guys you mentioned, sans Makar/Heiskanen.
Will post it in FLA's training camp thread.
But don't want to derail this thread from Lundell any further.
there is a chart somewhere showing the point totals of ekblad vs josi, hedman etc... Ekblad is right there with all of them.. i think he has been stuck on some bad teams lately.

again this is about lundell.. think he got an assist today

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
there is a chart somewhere showing the point totals of ekblad vs josi, hedman etc... Ekblad is right there with all of them.. i think he has been stuck on some bad teams lately.

again this is about lundell.. think he got an assist today
I don't think people are shunning Ekblad for his offensive ability...

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I expect him to play in the World Championship tournament if there is one after the Liiga season.
Not sure if it makes sense for him to sit on his rear for a month though instead of coming to NHL. Maybe some release could be had if travel restrictions are relaxed ?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not sure if it makes sense for him to sit on his rear for a month though instead of coming to NHL. Maybe some release could be had if travel restrictions are relaxed ?
I'd imagine travel restrictions/quarantine are the bigger issue or at the least he would spend time in the AHL following the Liiga season (though Florida and Tampa Bay are sharing an AHL club t h is summer so I don't know how that would work).

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'd imagine travel restrictions/quarantine are the bigger issue or at the least he would spend time in the AHL following the Liiga season (though Florida and Tampa Bay are sharing an AHL club t h is summer so I don't know how that would work).
He won’t be going to the ahl.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

When does Lundell sit on his rear for a month? Liiga's regular season ends in mid April and Lundell's team will make the playoffs so he should play at least until the end of April. If his team is eliminated early, he could join WC camp and the tournament starts on 23rd of May. Finns like to have long camp before tournament so a couple of weeks there preparing for WC and getting some rest. Or do you plan that he would go to NHL for a couple of weeks and then go back to play in WC? I wouldn't count on travel restrictions getting easier.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
When does Lundell sit on his rear for a month? Liiga's regular season ends in mid April and Lundell's team will make the playoffs so he should play at least until the end of April. If his team is eliminated early, he could join WC camp and the tournament starts on 23rd of May. Finns like to have long camp before tournament so a couple of weeks there preparing for WC and getting some rest. Or do you plan that he would go to NHL for a couple of weeks and then go back to play in WC? I wouldn't count on travel restrictions getting easier.
Sure: you’re arguing he’s take those weeks/likely a month off.

This is unique in the sense that April/May should still be the regular season here so I see him coming over and gaining experience

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Sure: you’re arguing he’s take those weeks/likely a month off.

This is unique in the sense that April/May should still be the regular season here so I see him coming over and gaining experience

What's wrong with a little time off? And like said, most of that time would be spent on camp for WC, so it's not like he would be sitting at home. Also, there's still no way that that the time off would be a month or how do you end up with that conclusion?

If there is no WC, Lundell should go to Florida absolutely, but he can't do both this year.

Reactions: Ippenator

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Has couple of goals against TPS tonight, 15 goals in 21 games so far this season. Dunno what he's doing scoring against TPS though, he's not supposed to score against "good teams".

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Hat trick, few minutes still to go. All very different goals.

1st, beat defenseman to the loose puck ahead of the net
2nd, breakaway straight out of penalty box, five-hole
3rd, deflected point shot on PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad