C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think Hart, Vezina, Norris, Art Ross & Rocket are all realistic.
I’ve put quite a lot of money in the Vezina market for him so I say it’s a guarantee ;)
I very much doubt he'll make a big impact right away unless his skating gets better and fast, he still moves his feet abit sluggishly.
It’s going to be like Barkov’s first season I think: slowness stops him from dominating but solid two way play!

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I’ve put quite a lot of money in the Vezina market for him so I say it’s a guarantee ;)

It’s going to be like Barkov’s first season I think: slowness stops him from dominating but solid two way play!

Lundell is much much better skater than Barkov was at the same age. I don't think skating will be an issue for Lundell next season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lundell is much much better skater than Barkov was at the same age. I don't think skating will be an issue for Lundell next season.

He also has another offseason to work on it before joining NHL.

He’ll also have Barkov sheltering him, with hopefully Wennberg as well

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I don't think he's much better. Same level at best, probably worse at quick turns which is important in the NHL.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I don't think he's much better. Same level at best, probably worse at quick turns which is important in the NHL.
Disagree, very similar for me comparing their same ages.
Barkov was a worse skater at that age, he was better than Lundell at every other facet of the game, but didn’t dominate Liiga like Lundell does even tho he played with better players, because of his skating back then.

Reactions: CLW

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Remember, Barkov was the youngest player in his draft class while Lundell is one of the oldest. It's better to compare Lundell's skating to Barkov's D+2 season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not much chatter about this guy. 7th in Liiga in PPG. Is he still looking good?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not much chatter about this guy. 7th in Liiga in PPG. Is he still looking good?
The reason it's quiet is because the last time he played a Liiga game was Feb. 6th, before some national team games at EHT. And at that tournament, turned out one of the Finnish players got COVID so now all of the players have been quarantining since the 15th and will do so for at least one more week.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The reason it's quiet is because the last time he played a Liiga game was Feb. 6th, before some national team games at EHT. And at that tournament, turned out one of the Finnish players got COVID so now all of the players have been quarantining since the 15th and will do so for at least one more week.

I'm sure he will get some good experience playing with some pros but would have preferred if he stayed with HIFK to help them more, he was on some kind of run there.

So they're waiting the week and then continuing the tourney?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm sure he will get some good experience playing with some pros but would have preferred if he stayed with HIFK to help them more, he was on some kind of run there.

So they're waiting the week and then continuing the tourney?
No, they found out after they had arrived in Finland. Not going to explain the format of this tournament, easier to look it up from Wikipedia: Euro Hockey Tour - Wikipedia

And trust me, the Finnish hockey community is pretty furious about the situation. Liiga and the clubs are not openly criticizing, but they are pretty pissed off. These tournaments are useless anyway, and are only played for money generated by revenue and some TV-deals. And now the Liiga teams pay the price for losing players over these BS games.

For an example, Markus Nurmi (late 2016 Ottawa pick) has been on fire for my team TPS this season. This was his second EHT-tournament of the season. The tournaments alone made him miss some games because Liiga has been forced to play at the same time because of COVID, now the quarantine has made it even more games 13 games in total. In a 60 game regular season, that's almost 25% of games we are missing out on one of our best players for a useless BS tournament.

And many other clubs are obviously pissed of as well. Lundell is the #1 center for HIFK, maybe the best center in the league. And now they lost him for 10 games.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No, they found out after they had arrived in Finland. Not going to explain the format of this tournament, easier to look it up from Wikipedia: Euro Hockey Tour - Wikipedia

And trust me, the Finnish hockey community is pretty furious about the situation. Liiga and the clubs are not openly criticizing, but they are pretty pissed off. These tournaments are useless anyway, and are only played for money generated by revenue and some TV-deals. And now the Liiga teams pay the price for losing players over these BS games.

For an example, Markus Nurmi (late 2016 Ottawa pick) has been on fire for my team TPS this season. This was his second EHT-tournament of the season. The tournaments alone made him miss some games because Liiga has been forced to play at the same time because of COVID, now the quarantine has made it even more games 13 games in total. In a 60 game regular season, that's almost 25% of games we are missing out on one of our best players for a useless BS tournament.

And many other clubs are obviously pissed of as well. Lundell is the #1 center for HIFK, maybe the best center in the league. And now they lost him for 10 games.

Thank you for the update.
Ya I asked around and it seems almost a practice for Olympics in a sense?

Been a weird year but I agree with your frustration, seems the younger players would have been better served to stay along with their own teams, of course easier to say after the issues came about.

2 weeks is a long time to wait to play and rust sets in.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Thank you for the update.
Ya I asked around and it seems almost a practice for Olympics in a sense?

Been a weird year but I agree with your frustration, seems the younger players would have been better served to stay along with their own teams, of course easier to say after the issues came about.

2 weeks is a long time to wait to play and rust sets in.
More like practice for the WHC, but even that is a bit questionable since top NHL and KHL players would probably fill the slots. KHL I think has recently limited the number of players they are allowing for these tournaments.

But, playing for the National team is still obviously lucrative for the players, they are not going to decline the invitation.

It's not a good thing for clubs in a normal season, now the fact that they had to keep on playing these tournaments during a pandemic really bit them in the ass. And it's the clubs paying the price, not the federations.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad