C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
This. I wonder what the next thing will be.

I can't wait to see what kind of player Lundell will become. I think he's going to Florida next season, though I expect him to play the first year partly in the AHL. Barkov will be amazing mentor for him.
I kinda feel they should give him a look in NHL first if he looks good in camp.

Reactions: iam76

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They can’t. Kid had the best draft +1 year of anyone that didn’t play in the NHL last season. If there was a redraft, he likely goes top 5.

He has to be the best C(prospect) not in the NHL currently?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Lundell always reminded me of Luka Doncic. Sometimes a player has a good enough track record overseas where you just have to ignore physical attributes and respect their production. Luca should have been the #1 pick in the NBA and Lundell, like many of us thought, should have been a Top 5 pick.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think this is a bit hyperbolic, but I get it.
Show me where I’m wrong? The knock on him in the draft was that his offensive ceiling wasn’t high. Then he goes out and leads Liiga in scoring for most of the year before his team was destroyed by Covid and is dominating the world championships. No other draft pick that didn’t get a chance in the NHL had a better year.

Reactions: Ippenator

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Show me where I’m wrong? The knock on him in the draft was that his offensive ceiling wasn’t high. Then he goes out and leads Liiga in scoring for most of the year before his team was destroyed by Covid and is dominating the world championships. No other draft pick that didn’t get a chance in the NHL had a better year.
I said I think it’s a bit hyperbolic, I’m not disagreeing entirely. He’s very much in that conversation at worst.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He looked quite nervous against Canada today, but overall a great tournament for Lundell. He showed very good offensive poise carrying the puck as well as nice creativity with his passes, and his shot is lethal too. He does still lack a bit of strength, though, which was most visible against Canada. However, he couldn't have a better mentor than Barkov. If Barkov can teach him the lessons he learned in Jagr's School of Puck Protection™, Lundell can become an absolute beast.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and BL92

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He looked quite nervous against Canada today, but overall a great tournament for Lundell. He showed very good offensive poise carrying the puck as well as nice creativity with his passes, and his shot is lethal too. He does still lack a bit of strength, though, which was most visible against Canada. However, he couldn't have a better mentor than Barkov. If Barkov can teach him the lessons he learned in Jagr's School of Puck Protection™, Lundell can become an absolute beast.

He's already been signed up for the 2021-22 class.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He’s 19y, he should lack a bit of strenght. He’s like 4-5 years from starting his prime.

Florida is going to be a great team for a long time

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Fully agreed, I follow Liiga and Lundell was a huge steal, told it at the time of the draft. He is better than Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz as far as forwards are concerned (I had him at par with Raymond, and even Byfield, behind Stutzle). I was surprised NSH did not pick him given the lack of 1C in their prospect pool.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Definitely not McDavid, but has good hands, high hockey IQ, and has a good two way game. He makes his teammates better what McDavid does not do.
Well, this is quite a statement :laugh:

Lundell was good but I don't think he particularly stood out. Will see how good he can become, but some posters here seem to be well, very positive. Maybe a bit too much positive.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Lundell was good but I don't think he particularly stood out. Will see how good he can become, but some posters here seem to be well, very positive. Maybe a bit too much positive.

Well don't misunderstand me, he is still a prospect and not worth nearly as much as McDavid ! I am high on him but he is still a prospect surrounded with uncertainty, hence I only compare him with other prospects with the same uncertainty.

Regarding the McDavid part, he is just too fast for everybody including his teammates, taht's the issue in my opinion. He is the best player in the world, best skater, best hands ? one of the best wristers, great IQ, sees the space, but whom do you put next to him ?
This is what I prefer with MacKinnon : he manages to slow the game to take the right decision and time his passes.

Reactions: Kalv

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Great tournament for him. His age showed in the final game as he made mistakes and he needs to add weight, which isn't surprising. Lundell is smart guy, capable of providing offence and playing defence, his skating is good and I think he can get even better. Barkov is the perfect mentor for him.

Reactions: mattihp and Kalv

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Why wouldn’t they be?

He seems like the perfect (elite) 2C for a contending team.

& I say 2C because of Barkov

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He is smart and skilled. Barkov should be the perfect mentor. He will be an NHLer, but in what role remains to be seen. Ceiling is quite high.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

He was the best player for Finland in this tournament. I’ll take that all day every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad