C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceonfire*

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Draisatil go 1 or 2. That combination of size/skill is rare and teams covet that.

I can see Florida taking Reinhart #1 but something tells me that Buffalo takes Draisatil #2. They know the Oilers won't pass on him so they can't trade down.

They have scouted him just as much as the Oilers have and any interview I have read has stated that they absolutely love him.

If that does happen the Oilers will be left with a very tough choice at #3. Do they take Bennett who is smaller but is very competitive or do they take Ekblad and let Bennett fall to Calgary..

My bet would be..

1. Reinhart
2. Draisaitl
3. Ekblad
4. Bennett
5. Dal Colle

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Trevor Linden made it pretty clear the three best forwards in the draft are Reinhart, Bennet, and Draisaitl. If a miracle occurs and teams are dumb enough to let him drop to #6, he won't last til 7th.

They also want a C and size, so if he's there he meets the criteria.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not sure that factors in at all, but watching the Kings did change my mind in the Bennett/Draisaitl debate, mainly due to Kopitar, Toffoli and Pearson. All of those guys had skating listed as a weakness/average when they were draft eligible. But Toffoli, and Pearson especially, looked very quick out there. I'm not as worried about Draisaitl's skating as I once was, and he has been praised for his work ethic off the ice. Might take a couple years, but he should be able to erase this weakness.

I should probably add that a strong world championships I think countered the not so great world jrs he had

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
While some skaters get better, there are players that never get good enough. Schremp comes to mind as a guy with an NHL skillset but couldn't get his skating up to par.

But then skating wasn't the only thing Schremp couldn't get up to par.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Here's one thing though. Draisaitl is the only player where when I read what scouts say about him, it makes me think he sounds like someone who could be a top-shelf player, while at the same time there isn't really a major red flag to counterbalance it. When I read what they say about the Sams, it makes me think of Cory Stillman or Cody Hodgson. Really good players to draft, but maybe not what you're hoping for with a top 3 pick. Same with Ekblad, who comes over as...erm, really solid. Which is great, but again, maybe not what you're hoping for at first overall.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Here's one thing though. Draisaitl is the only player where when I read what scouts say about him, it makes me think he sounds like someone who could be a top-shelf player, while at the same time there isn't really a major red flag to counterbalance it. When I read what they say about the Sams, it makes me think of Cory Stillman or Cody Hodgson. Really good players to draft, but maybe not what you're hoping for with a top 3 pick. Same with Ekblad, who comes over as...erm, really solid. Which is great, but again, maybe not what you're hoping for at first overall.

This is s good assesment of this draft at least when it comes to offensive talent (I think ekblad could be a star). Reinhart and Bennet are hardly game breaking talents, though they will likely be solid contributors for many years at the NHL level. Drasaitl is in my opinion the big fish in this draft.

I'm sure Ekblad will look good in a Panthers uniform, but the thought of having Barkov-Drasaitl-Bjugstad down the middle with some of their skilled/speedy young wingers like Huberdeau, Shore, Trochek, and Grimaldi would cause me to pick the German center. That's a lot of size and skill at center, and then you still have Luoungo in net and some good strong dmen.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
This is s good assesment of this draft at least when it comes to offensive talent (I think ekblad could be a star). Reinhart and Bennet are hardly game breaking talents, though they will likely be solid contributors for many years at the NHL level. Drasaitl is in my opinion the big fish in this draft.

I'm sure Ekblad will look good in a Panthers uniform, but the thought of having Barkov-Drasaitl-Bjugstad down the middle with some of their skilled/speedy young wingers like Huberdeau, Shore, Trochek, and Grimaldi would cause me to pick the German center. That's a lot of size and skill at center, and then you still have Luoungo in net and some good strong dmen.

I tend to agree with this, to an extent.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I should probably add that a strong world championships I think countered the not so great world jrs he had
his "not so great world jrs" included getting ejected twice for rough play, this doesn't usually act as a deterrent to NHL GM's most of whom value a nasty streak.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Panther fans won't like to hear this, but I would MUCH prefer to have Jones+Draisaitl than Ekblad+One of the Sams'

I think almost every Panthers fan would rather have Barkov + Ekblad, than Jones + Reinhart.

I say this as a Sabres fan who thinks Reinhart is going to be great player for Buffalo.

OVOXO*

I think almost every Panthers fan would rather have Barkov + Ekblad, than Jones + Reinhart.

I say this as a Sabres fan who thinks Reinhart is going to be great player for Buffalo.

Oiler fan chiming in and I think for the Panthers who need skill: Draisatl < Reinhart
Jones >= Ekblad

Can't go wrong with either.

Oilers sorely need size up the middle but at the same time it's not like we passed on skill to do so. I legitimately believe Draisatl is more skilled than Bennett and actually makes players around him better, which is exactly the type of player we need to play with Yakupov. He is strong as a bull and can handle the big defenders and big centres down low, shielding the puck and has probably the best passing ability in the draft.

Draisaitl

Dude, where's Makar?
Oct 18, 2013
Berlin
giphy.com
Oilers sorely need size up the middle but at the same time it's not like we passed on skill to do so. I legitimately believe Draisatl is more skilled than Bennett and actually makes players around him better, which is exactly the type of player we need to play with Yakupov. He is strong as a bull and can handle the big defenders and big centres down low, shielding the puck and has probably the best passing ability in the draft.

This tastes like honey on my toast! I'm also really happy he ended up in Edmonton, since I think they got a way more quality roster compared to the other teams that had top picks. I just cant imagine him+Yakupov already next year making a big impact on the Oilers game. One more year of Raiders or Oil Kings seems more probable to me+some minutes on the 3rd or 4tth line(maybe with Yak on the same line).

@ Oilers fans: What number will he be wearing on his back? I had a long talk with the (ice)-hockey shop owner today and we figured out #29 is still free on the Oilers roster according to NHL.com.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
This tastes like honey on my toast! I'm also really happy he ended up in Edmonton, since I think they got a way more quality roster compared to the other teams that had top picks. I just cant imagine him+Yakupov already next year making a big impact on the Oilers game. One more year of Raiders or Oil Kings seems more probable to me+some minutes on the 3rd or 4tth line(maybe with Yak on the same line).

@ Oilers fans: What number will he be wearing on his back? I had a long talk with the (ice)-hockey shop owner today and we figured out #29 is still free on the Oilers roster according to NHL.com.
Oilers management doesnt seem opposed to having him in the NHL but another WHL year may be the best thing for him. Well see.

Numbers dont get announced for a while. Yakupov's 64 wasnt made public until later on in the summer in 2012.

29 is available though, only goalies have worn that number in Edmonton the last ~10 years.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Always thought this was the right pick for the Oilers. Still glad we got Bennett though

the right guys went to the right teams.
just like last year. either team would have been super happy with either Monahan or Nurse. But each team got the right guy.

This year will be the same.

I think we might have some BoA games that are worth watching in a couple of years.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
the right guys went to the right teams.
just like last year. either team would have been super happy with either Monahan or Nurse. But each team got the right guy.

This year will be the same.

I think we might have some BoA games that are worth watching in a couple of years.

Haha let's hope. Maybe we can start bickering about who is better, not who is worse.

OVOXO*

I would not want to face Monahan and Draisatl with just RNH and Bennett, that's for sure. Each got the players they need. Both are skilled guys that compliment their teams. I was surprised reading this thread that people aren't trolling lol so good on ya!

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Haha let's hope. Maybe we can start bickering about who is better, not who is worse.

both teams sucking is what drives the bitterness to such high levels.
There was a solid rivalry in the 80's but it didn't have the same kind of mean spiritedness. I chalk that change up to 30% how bad the teams are, 70% the existence of the internet.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
both teams sucking is what drives the bitterness to such high levels.
There was a solid rivalry in the 80's but it didn't have the same kind of mean spiritedness. I chalk that change up to 30% how bad the teams are, 70% the existence of the internet.

No, the Battle of Alberta was mean-spirited on and off the ice in 80's. The other name for the Flames/Oilers rivalry was the Uncivil War. There were the numerous line brawls featuring Semenko, McClellan, Brown, and friends vs. Hunter, Peplinski, Baxter, Sheehy, etc...; Doug Riesbrough shredding an Oilers jersey in the penalty box; Messier handing out elbows; a lot of dirty plays during each game; and, most importantly, high-level playoff hockey.

Anyways, back on topic... I am glad the Oilers grabbed Draisaitlat #3. In a few years he will be a great compliment with RNH as the top two centers for Edmonton.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

That is because they're emotional attached to their plays.

Jones is easily better than Ekblad and the difference between Barkov to Draisaitl is definitely in Barkov's favour, but not as big as people are saying.

Oiler fan chiming in and I think for the Panthers who need skill: Draisatl < Reinhart
Jones >= Ekblad

Can't go wrong with either.

Jones isn't equal to Ekblad, you can say >> or >>> to Jones easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad