C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Am I the only one that feels Draisaitl will be sent back to Junior?? Oiler fans are really excited ofcourse(as they should be), and think hes a lock to make the team but he only had 1 really good season in WHL and he needs to work on his skating ALOT to make the jump to NHL. I have seen him play many times live the past couple seasons and yes he is a good player, but I strongly feel he isn't ready to play against men.... Nothing wrong with going back to WHL. Look at Henrik Samuelsson... same deal.. was a 1st round pick(not as high as Draisaitl) and also needed to work on his skating big time. Also was sent back to WHL and had a great dominating year and is almost ready to make the jump now to Phoenix. No need to rush Draisaitl. Oilers will be a bad team again next year and there is no need to expose another high 1st to that.
Draisaitl should get his 9 games in and get sent back. Josh Morrissey will also be a candidate to be sent back to the same team in Prince Albert. They could have a good team next year in the WHL. Let them play in junior again next year and work on what needs to be worked on and come to camp and be ready to play pro in 2015

As an Oil fan, I'd prefer to see him play one more year of junior as well. But Leon is extremely dedicated to making the team next season, and is staying in Edmonton to train all summer as opposed to going back home to Germany to see family/friends. Can the skating issue be resolved in one summer? I don't know, but it's clear Leon is focused on one thing only.

If he is returned to junior, I hope it's after the Oilers/Oil Kings have forced a trade from PA to EDM. That team won't be very good next year (especially if Morrissey makes the Jets), and the Oilers could simply say we won't return him to junior unless he's traded to the Oil Kings. Send the Raiders Eller+picks, then have Leon in Edmonton for the full year working with Serdachny on his skating. Plus he'll have a chance to play on a much better junior team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As an Oil fan, I'd prefer to see him play one more year of junior as well. But Leon is extremely dedicated to making the team next season, and is staying in Edmonton to train all summer as opposed to going back home to Germany to see family/friends. Can the skating issue be resolved in one summer? I don't know, but it's clear Leon is focused on one thing only.

If he is returned to junior, I hope it's after the Oilers/Oil Kings have forced a trade from PA to EDM. That team won't be very good next year (especially if Morrissey makes the Jets), and the Oilers could simply say we won't return him to junior unless he's traded to the Oil Kings. Send the Raiders Eller+picks, then have Leon in Edmonton for the full year working with Serdachny on his skating. Plus he'll have a chance to play on a much better junior team.

Ya itll be a interesting situation. If PA gets Draisaitl and Morrissey both back, I could see the team keeping them both and making some trades and make a push. But if just one is returned, I could see that one get traded. I dont think it'll be the Oilkings though because they arent going to be a top team next season...Perhaps Portland?.. Winterhawks will be getting back the top 2 players in the league next year(Petan, Bjorkstrand) for 1 last season, and mix them with their impressive rest of the team and they will be a force once again and make another title push. I could see them making a push for either Draisaitl or Morrissey if they are returned

jgoud*

Barkov is a better prospect than Draisaitl. Barkov is a pretty unique prospect who has been somewhat undervalued by fans and amateur "scouts". Offensively, he has very good hands, exceptional puck protection with great vision and passing skills. He can also score too. He's a committed two way player with size and has a tremendous on and off ice committment to the sport. He's about as close to can't miss as you can get. The only concern with Barkov is the skating, but it's IMO a step above Draisaitl. Meanwhile, Barkov does pretty much everything Draisaitl can do offensively (infact, probably better) whilst offering better dimensions. The upside is the same or greater, the impact all over the rink is on another level, and he's far more polished.

Draisaitl has elite qualities that are highly projectable and he can be an elite #1 C, but he has concerns/flaws Barkov doesn't. I wouldn't take Draisaitl over Barkov offensively (Same qualities, but one has had years of production at the men's level), but when you factor in everything else, i can't really see an argument for not choosing Barkov at this current point in time.

Last time i checked Barkov wasn't a #1 C, i wouldn't be surprised if Drasaitl has a better PPG avg in his first year than Barkov either. I understand that Barkov is pretty underrated, but hilarious to hear those who say he is on another tier than Drasaitl.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
What's up with the arguing over whether the comparison is ">>" or ">>>>"? Is there some sort of established metric I'm not aware of? :laugh:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How was his camp. I heard heard about ehlers, mcanns, nylanders, ho sangs, but absolutely nothing from the Leon camp.

Was he good? bad? why no info?

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
How was his camp. I heard heard about ehlers, mcanns, nylanders, ho sangs, but absolutely nothing from the Leon camp.

Our camp was in Jasper and was not primarily hockey based. It was more on team building and an orientation to the Oilers organization. In the limited viewing we had, he played relatively well. Showed his size and skill, he was a little nervous at first but is starting to settle in. We'll get a better chance to view him at the team camp.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Last time i checked Barkov wasn't a #1 C, i wouldn't be surprised if Drasaitl has a better PPG avg in his first year than Barkov either. I understand that Barkov is pretty underrated, but hilarious to hear those who say he is on another tier than Drasaitl.

Did i ever state Barkov was a #1C at this conjecture in time?

Barkov hasn't played junior hockey since he was 16. I think this plus his complete game has lead some to the idea that his offensive game isn't as strong as it is. Barkov has exceptional offensive qualities.

Barkov had a good 18 yr old season on an awful club which was book ended by two injuries. He's just more advanced than Draisaitl in every way right now. Again, Draisaitl has some qualities offensively that rival Barkov (some argue perhaps are better), but Barkov is far more advanced player in every other aspect of the game, that i can't see a realistic argument for taking Draisaitl over Barkov. Maybe in 5 or 10 years, but currently it's a simple choice, IMO.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I wouldn't be surprised to see Barkov become one of the leagues most complete centres. I haven't seen enough of Draisatl to judge him but he must be an amazing prospect if he is close to the level of Barkov.

For the sake of Edmonton, I do hope he works out and becomes a great center. Even if he turns out to be a strong #2C I think they will be very happy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He belongs back in junior ,this has been edmonton,s problem they get a shiny new toy than rush him .Let him develop more ,1 year in junior half a year in the ahl at least .Get him working with pro trainers and coaches .

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He belongs back in junior ,this has been edmonton,s problem they get a shiny new toy than rush him .Let him develop more ,1 year in junior half a year in the ahl at least .Get him working with pro trainers and coaches .

Ahh ignorance at it's finest.

I understand wanting to send a player back to Junior in July if he's looking immature mentally and physically. But Draisitl is neither of those.

Let the decision come in training camp when you can see his hockey skills. If he's just too slow then send him back to Junior to work on his speed. If he's outcompeting other players for the job then give him the job.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ahh ignorance at it's finest.

I understand wanting to send a player back to Junior in July if he's looking immature mentally and physically. But Draisitl is neither of those.

Let the decision come in training camp when you can see his hockey skills. If he's just too slow then send him back to Junior to work on his speed. If he's outcompeting other players for the job then give him the job.
Actually ignorance is what the Oilers have done since 2006. There hasn't been a prospect in the history of hockey that hasn't benefited by more development.

But go ahead Oilers, bring another prospect into the NHL too early and hurt his development (Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov etc etc). They could have all used more seasoning/strength.

But hey, when you are perpetually in the bottom 5, you know a thing or two about winning right? Right Kevin Lowe?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Draisaitl is the better playmaker. Barkov is physical though, and is more well rounded so he will likely be considered better.

Its like comparing Thornton to Kopitar. Both great players, but very different.

Draisaitl is not a better playmaker haha.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually ignorance is what the Oilers have done since 2006. There hasn't been a prospect in the history of hockey that hasn't benefited by more development.

But go ahead Oilers, bring another prospect into the NHL too early and hurt his development (Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov etc etc). They could have all used more seasoning/strength.

But hey, when you are perpetually in the bottom 5, you know a thing or two about winning right? Right Kevin Lowe?
Bingo .you would think by now they would have figured it out ,after watching boys like RNH get physically dominated and then hurt .Put him in junior, season him a bit in the ahl; and in about a year or 2 .You will have a man ready to play in a mans league

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Did i ever state Barkov was a #1C at this conjecture in time?

Barkov hasn't played junior hockey since he was 16. I think this plus his complete game has lead some to the idea that his offensive game isn't as strong as it is. Barkov has exceptional offensive qualities.

Barkov had a good 18 yr old season on an awful club which was book ended by two injuries. He's just more advanced than Draisaitl in every way right now. Again, Draisaitl has some qualities offensively that rival Barkov (some argue perhaps are better), but Barkov is far more advanced player in every other aspect of the game, that i can't see a realistic argument for taking Draisaitl over Barkov. Maybe in 5 or 10 years, but currently it's a simple choice, IMO.

Where did this idea that playing in a men's league leads to better transition to the NHL come from? Logically it makes sense, but has it actually been exhibited to be predictive of a better transition to the NHL?

Two players that excelled in top end men's leagues and then struggled in the NHL recently are MPS and Larrson (in NJ).

Any ACTUAL evidence that top prospects from men's leagues do better than top prospects from Major junior, etc? Seems hard to believe seeing as a ton of the best players in the league step straight from the CHL to the NHL (Hall, Seguin, RNH, etc etc).

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Bingo .you would think by now they would have figured it out ,after watching boys like RNH get physically dominated and then hurt .Put him in junior, season him a bit in the ahl; and in about a year or 2 .You will have a man ready to play in a mans league

RNH got hurt catching an edge into the boards. The only time I can think of someone getting a big hit on him was a massive knee. You picked a really bad example (although RNH certainly could have used some time in the gym bulking up before going pro, I agree with that sentiment).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
RNH got hurt catching an edge into the boards. The only time I can think of someone getting a big hit on him was a massive knee. You picked a really bad example (although RNH certainly could have used some time in the gym bulking up before going pro, I agree with that sentiment).
Adding this kid so young doesnt do anything for the oil or him ATM tbh.Season him draft some more ,you can then use your draft picks as a pipeline by layering their arrival,It helps with keeping your system stocked with good talent ,thus helping the less naturally gifted talent to develop with a good ahl team .Also you can better manage your cap by doing this as well :nod:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Personally I think the Oilers should give Leon another year in the WHL to work on his skating. Sure he is physically ready for the NHL but I don't think he will have as much of an opportunity to improve his skating as he will be adapting in so many other areas if he plays in the NHL this year.

Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, the icetime was limited, so we didn't see a lot of on ice drills and whatnot to evaluate him in that respect. The game at the end of camp was interesting. He was able to create some offence, but he was also one of the least experienced guys there and certainly not even closed to being the biggest.

We saw so little though. Training camp will be a much better measure.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Go check the last time a forward picked first overall didn't play the following year in the NHL. It's been decades. And you can't possibly think Hall needed more junior experience. He was as NHL ready as any prospect has ever been. The only argument to be made can be RNH but he was playing great and leading the team in scoring at the 9 game mark his rookie season. Eberle had 2 extra years of juniors after his draft year, how much more did he need??

Just wanna add that its funny how people say a prospects development has never been hurt by keeping him out of the NHL. How do we know? Look up any prospect that didn't meet expectations and see how long it took him to play in the NHL. Maybe if he was in the NHL earlier he would have panned out, right? Who knows.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Go check the last time a forward picked first overall didn't play the following year in the NHL. It's been decades. And you can't possibly think Hall needed more junior experience. He was as NHL ready as any prospect has ever been. The only argument to be made can be RNH but he was playing great and leading the team in scoring at the 9 game mark his rookie season. Eberle had 2 extra years of juniors after his draft year, how much more did he need??

Just wanna add that its funny how people say a prospects development has never been hurt by keeping him out of the NHL. How do we know? Look up any prospect that didn't meet expectations and see how long it took him to play in the NHL. Maybe if he was in the NHL earlier he would have panned out, right? Who knows.

Agreed. Hall was easily set for the NHL. Nuge was questionable, but I also found it extremely hard to send him back due to how he played so good with the first 9 games. Eberle developed nicely. I could see Draisaitl making the team, but I'll prefer MacT bring in a 1-2 year stop gap 2C, until Draisaitl is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->