C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Liked Bennett better down the stretch. Was disappointed with leons game this year personally.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Here's one thing though. Draisaitl is the only player where when I read what scouts say about him, it makes me think he sounds like someone who could be a top-shelf player, while at the same time there isn't really a major red flag to counterbalance it. When I read what they say about the Sams, it makes me think of Cory Stillman or Cody Hodgson. Really good players to draft, but maybe not what you're hoping for with a top 3 pick. Same with Ekblad, who comes over as...erm, really solid. Which is great, but again, maybe not what you're hoping for at first overall.

Wasn't there a long discussion regarding Draisaitl's skating? I'm one of the guys that thinks he'll be fine with the development but that is one of the big concerns with him.

OVOXO*

Liked Bennett better down the stretch. Was disappointed with leons game this year personally.

How can you be disappointed with 105 points playing on a **** team?

He had something crazy like 45 points in his last 21 games.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
No, the Battle of Alberta was mean-spirited on and off the ice in 80's. The other name for the Flames/Oilers rivalry was the Uncivil War. There were the numerous line brawls featuring Semenko, McClellan, Brown, and friends vs. Hunter, Peplinski, Baxter, Sheehy, etc...; Doug Riesbrough shredding an Oilers jersey in the penalty box; Messier handing out elbows; a lot of dirty plays during each game; and, most importantly, high-level playoff hockey.

Anyways, back on topic... I am glad the Oilers grabbed Draisaitlat #3. In a few years he will be a great compliment with RNH as the top two centers for Edmonton.

The fans weren't nearly as pissy and petty. There was some respect involved before. That's what I was referring to. There was a harsh fierce rivalry, but both teams suck, and it's now a pissing match about being "less worse" so it has brought out a dimension of A-holeness among both fanbases, that is fostered and incubated by the internet.

You don't need to tell me about the rivalry, I was there.

In the 80's 2 monster teams tore each other a new one every single game. It was messy and ugly. Now the games are poorly played and neither team is worth much.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Jones and Draisaitl

or

Ekblad and Barkov

I would probably go with Ekblad and Barkov combo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jones and Draisaitl

or

Ekblad and Barkov

I would probably go with Ekblad and Barkov combo.

We talked about this before and all the posts got deleted.

EASILY, and that is with a capslock for Jones and Draisaitl. Jones is much better than Ekblad while the difference between Barkov and Leon isn't that big.

Jones >>>> Ekblad
Barkov > Draisaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

EASILY, and that is with a capslock for Jones and Draisaitl. Jones is much better than Ekblad while the difference between Barkov and Leon isn't that big.

Jones >>>> Ekblad
Barkov > Draisaitl

What does Jones do that Ekblad doesn't? Is it mostly due to his better mobility that you see such a massive gap?

As for Leon, I am thrilled that we landed him, we finally have a core player that's clearly over 200lbs! :laugh:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Jones >>>> Ekblad
Barkov > Draisaitl

I watched Draidaitl on the WC and was completely underwhelmed. In his draft year Barkov was just so much better than Draisaitl even though they are almost the same age. Barkov is bigger faster has better hands everything. Couldn't find anything in which Draisaitl could rival Barkov. So if you ask me it's Barkov>>>Drasaitl at this point and i'm not surprised if it's bigger in the future.

AnaheimDucks90

May 22, 2008
Hamburg
I watched Draidaitl on the WC and was completely underwhelmed. In his draft year Barkov was just so much better than Draisaitl even though they are almost the same age. Barkov is bigger faster has better hands everything. Couldn't find anything in which Draisaitl could rival Barkov. So if you ask me it's Barkov>>>Drasaitl at this point and i'm not surprised if it's bigger in the future.

I think 4 points in 6 games as a 18 years old for a bad team are not good. You are right.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009

Jones >>>> Ekblad
Barkov > Draisaitl

What? How can you say that Jones is a lot better?

Barkov>>>Draisaitl
Ekblad = Jones

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton

Barkov>>>Draisaitl
Ekblad = Jones

And then you go do the same thing. :facepalm:

Both Barkov and Draisaitl are big centers that played their pre-draft seasons in completely different leagues, which makes it tough to compare. The >>> is entirely your opinion, and nothing more.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What does Jones do that Ekblad doesn't? Is it mostly due to his better mobility that you see such a massive gap?

As for Leon, I am thrilled that we landed him, we finally have a core player that's clearly over 200lbs! :laugh:
Jones is better at practically every category (and at a high talent level as well) except physicality, but I saw a physical beast for the USA at the WCs. He was rag dolling a couple of players at times which is a good sign that he's developing this part of his game.

I respectively disagree with all of this. Draisaitl had a great perform at the WC and even swayed a couple of scouts minds about him. I do agree that Barkov is better, but not to the point where they are at totally different levels IMO.

Kulleroinen*

Barkov>>>Draisaitl
Ekblad = Jones

Oh please.

Barkov>=Draisaitl, if Barkov is lucky enough not to be injured every season. He looks to be very injury prone so Draisaitl might be better very shortly.

Jones >>> Ekblad

OVOXO*

Draisaitl is better offensively, Barkov is better defensively. I feel that for a top pick, Barkov won't live up to the hype, offensively that is. I know HF is obsessed with two-way/defensive play, but if I'm drafting top-3 I want a potential offensive force.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Draisaitl is better offensively, Barkov is better defensively. I feel that for a top pick, Barkov won't live up to the hype, offensively that is. I know HF is obsessed with two-way/defensive play, but if I'm drafting top-3 I want a potential offensive force.

Barkov is much better offensively than you think. Too many people around think that he isn't so good offensively because he has a good two-way game but I have followed this guy since he was 16 and he has always been a guy that makes guys around him better. Almost PPG in FEL as 17 year old (48 points in 53 games). His two-way game isn't his best asset, it's his passing and vision. They'll be around the same level offensively, both 65-70 point centers (both have potential to be more, this is more likely).

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Barkov is a better prospect than Draisaitl. Barkov is a pretty unique prospect who has been somewhat undervalued by fans and amateur "scouts". Offensively, he has very good hands, exceptional puck protection with great vision and passing skills. He can also score too. He's a committed two way player with size and has a tremendous on and off ice committment to the sport. He's about as close to can't miss as you can get. The only concern with Barkov is the skating, but it's IMO a step above Draisaitl. Meanwhile, Barkov does pretty much everything Draisaitl can do offensively (infact, probably better) whilst offering better dimensions. The upside is the same or greater, the impact all over the rink is on another level, and he's far more polished.

Draisaitl has elite qualities that are highly projectable and he can be an elite #1 C, but he has concerns/flaws Barkov doesn't. I wouldn't take Draisaitl over Barkov offensively (Same qualities, but one has had years of production at the men's level), but when you factor in everything else, i can't really see an argument for not choosing Barkov at this current point in time.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov is a better prospect than Draisaitl. Barkov is a pretty unique prospect who has been somewhat undervalued by fans and amateur "scouts". Offensively, he has very good hands, exceptional puck protection with great vision and passing skills. He can also score too. He's a committed two way player with size and has a tremendous on and off ice committment to the sport. He's about as close to can't miss as you can get. The only concern with Barkov is the skating, but it's IMO a step above Draisaitl. Meanwhile, Barkov does pretty much everything Draisaitl can do offensively (infact, probably better) whilst offering better dimensions. The upside is the same or greater, the impact all over the rink is on another level, and he's far more polished.

Draisaitl has elite qualities that are highly projectable and he can be an elite #1 C, but he has concerns/flaws Barkov doesn't. I wouldn't take Draisaitl over Barkov offensively (Same qualities, but one has had years of production at the men's level), but when you factor in everything else, i can't really see an argument for not choosing Barkov at this current point in time.

I have seen him skating. I will say that everyone will be suprised by his skating ability next season. His stride looks really fluid, he has improved his explosiveness, his agility and turns has improved greatly. His overall skating looks really good for player of that size and he still has room to get better. I think that Barkov at prime will be as good as Kopitar in skating. He also has grown i think that he is really close of being 6'4 and about 220lbs. At prime he should ne about 6'4 230-240 with kopitar type of skating. Last year he was 18 year old and his puck protection against world best players were very good. At prime he will be immovable rock with lighting quick hands and head with very good skating for big player. Try to play against player like that. Barkov has insane potential. We all know that it is matter of time when Barkov is starting to be perennial selke nominee.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Am I the only one that feels Draisaitl will be sent back to Junior?? Oiler fans are really excited ofcourse(as they should be), and think hes a lock to make the team but he only had 1 really good season in WHL and he needs to work on his skating ALOT to make the jump to NHL. I have seen him play many times live the past couple seasons and yes he is a good player, but I strongly feel he isn't ready to play against men.... Nothing wrong with going back to WHL. Look at Henrik Samuelsson... same deal.. was a 1st round pick(not as high as Draisaitl) and also needed to work on his skating big time. Also was sent back to WHL and had a great dominating year and is almost ready to make the jump now to Phoenix. No need to rush Draisaitl. Oilers will be a bad team again next year and there is no need to expose another high 1st to that.
Draisaitl should get his 9 games in and get sent back. Josh Morrissey will also be a candidate to be sent back to the same team in Prince Albert. They could have a good team next year in the WHL. Let them play in junior again next year and work on what needs to be worked on and come to camp and be ready to play pro in 2015

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Am I the only one that feels Draisaitl will be sent back to Junior?? Oiler fans are really excited ofcourse(as they should be), and think hes a lock to make the team but he only had 1 really good season in WHL and he needs to work on his skating ALOT to make the jump to NHL. I have seen him play many times live the past couple seasons and yes he is a good player, but I strongly feel he isn't ready to play against men.... Nothing wrong with going back to WHL. Look at Henrik Samuelsson... same deal.. was a 1st round pick(not as high as Draisaitl) and also needed to work on his skating big time. Also was sent back to WHL and had a great dominating year and is almost ready to make the jump now to Phoenix. No need to rush Draisaitl. Oilers will be a bad team again next year and there is no need to expose another high 1st to that.
Draisaitl should get his 9 games in and get sent back. Josh Morrissey will also be a candidate to be sent back to the same team in Prince Albert. They could have a good team next year in the WHL. Let them play in junior again next year and work on what needs to be worked on and come to camp and be ready to play pro in 2015

He may be sent back back to the whl but IMO it will not happen with PA as they are god awful at developing players

Aceonfire*

Draisaitl is the better playmaker. Barkov is physical though, and is more well rounded so he will likely be considered better.

Its like comparing Thornton to Kopitar. Both great players, but very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad