C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
as a of a divisional rival, I REALLY hope Oilers pass on Draisatl. Kid looks like he's the real deal.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he'll be in the NHL next season.

Wouldn't surprise me at all but I do think he'll have a tough go of it and won't be ready to live up to his hype for a couple seasons. If I drafted him, I'd put him in juniors next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozXmuWLDkA

Only 614 views on his show aginst the US, lets push the Deutschland Dangler a little more, guys!

I also like the way of russian recaps, no goofs screaming around and such...

Clicking now. I was going to see if something like this ever got uploaded but spaced on it.

Gotta work on his skating, defense and consistency. The disappearing act in last years playoffs was a joke.

People could have said the same thing about Reinhart last year, then this year he destroyed the playoffs. When you're on a CHL team with little talent going up against a true powerhouse, your team is going to lose badly and you, as one of only two strong players, are likely to be gameplanned to death. Defense and skating certainly need work, but the playoff results are meaningless to me.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the Oilers will draft him. But I sorta hope the Red Wings find a way to get him.

They have the depth to develop him in the WHL another season. And imagine him and Mantha on the same together in 3 years...

Subby Dubby Doooo

May 19, 2013
Montreal, QC
The main issue with Draisailt is his lack of acceleration. One great example of improved skating is Tanner Pearson of the LA Kings. He was drafted 30th overall in the 1st round because of questions on his skating. If you spent any time watching the Stanley cup finals or any kings games in the playoffs, you will notice how great of a skater he is. You just need to have the right development program to allow him to improve his skating.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I think the Oilers will draft him. But I sorta hope the Red Wings find a way to get him.

They have the depth to develop him in the WHL another season. And imagine him and Mantha on the same together in 3 years...

Imagine LD playing with RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Perron;)

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The main issue with Draisailt is his lack of acceleration. One great example of improved skating is Tanner Pearson of the LA Kings. He was drafted 30th overall in the 1st round because of questions on his skating. If you spent any time watching the Stanley cup finals or any kings games in the playoffs, you will notice how great of a skater he is. You just need to have the right development program to allow him to improve his skating.

While some skaters get better, there are players that never get good enough. Schremp comes to mind as a guy with an NHL skillset but couldn't get his skating up to par.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
While some skaters get better, there are players that never get good enough. Schremp comes to mind as a guy with an NHL skillset but couldn't get his skating up to par.

Depends on the dedication, Spezza and Tavares are 2 guys to me who really put in a ton of work to get their skating to a better level, even Brian Boyle looks better now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Schremp also fell over as soon as contact was made. LD at least has balance to work with.

But yea, always hard to say. The Oilers in particular have seen it go either way a few times over the last several years.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Schremp doesn't have Draisaitl's size and puck protection ability though. Even if Draisaitl doesn't improve his skating much he can still find a niche in the NHL if that were his priority. That's the benefit of having plus size. We'll see. Draisaitl has done a lot to show that he's dedicated to being the best German player in history and a high-end NHL player. His skating keeps me from considering him for top forward over Reinhart and Bennett, but it's not concerning me to the point where I wouldn't take him really high. He's likely going to be a good top 6 player and has that Kopitar-ish upside.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Schremp doesn't have Draisaitl's size and puck protection ability though. Even if Draisaitl doesn't improve his skating much he can still find a niche in the NHL if that were his priority. That's the benefit of having plus size. We'll see. Draisaitl has done a lot to show that he's dedicated to being the best German player in history and a high-end NHL player. His skating keeps me from considering him for top forward over Reinhart and Bennett, but it's not concerning me to the point where I wouldn't take him really high. He's likely going to be a good top 6 player and has that Kopitar-ish upside.

While I do agree with you, my point remains that while it's easy to say we can reach skating or whatnot, it sometimes just doesn't work.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
I have a feeling he falls as far as nine.

I think there's pretty much no way he falls past the Leafs at 8 unless someone else projected high falls too.

It's not about the Leafs' need for a 1C, because LD won't be in the NHL for a couple of years, but it's about the lack of impact forwards (particularly centres) in the system.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
would love for him to drop to #6 for my canucks!! horvat and draisaitl good center depth for the rebuild.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

You noticed this, or the tweets?

:laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I just do not like Prince Albert Raiders since the Steve Kelly Draft and have a problem with the lack of NHL talent they have developed over the past ten years---by NHL talent I mean top line guys. Last top guy they developed was Modano

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
I just do not like Prince Albert Raiders since the Steve Kelly Draft and have a problem with the lack of NHL talent they have developed over the past ten years---by NHL talent I mean top line guys. Last top guy they developed was Modano

It's just because it's hard to get kids to go there. Much of the top talent in the WHL comes from the Vancouver area, and a ton of them are snotty kids who flat out refuse to come out to a city of 30,000 in the north of Saskatchewan and play Jr. A in BC instead. It's happened to 2 of the Raiders past 4 first rounders IIRC.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Can someone clear up the pronunciation for me? :laugh:

I'm currently going with Dry-Say-Tull

dry-sigh-tl
the "sigh" is the same length as "dry" . a slight stress on the 1st syllable. only slight.

If you have the patience watch this clip. You'll here the name at about 39 seconds in. That's how a German pronounces it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad