C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Go check the last time a forward picked first overall didn't play the following year in the NHL. It's been decades. And you can't possibly think Hall needed more junior experience. He was as NHL ready as any prospect has ever been. The only argument to be made can be RNH but he was playing great and leading the team in scoring at the 9 game mark his rookie season. Eberle had 2 extra years of juniors after his draft year, how much more did he need??

Just wanna add that its funny how people say a prospects development has never been hurt by keeping him out of the NHL. How do we know? Look up any prospect that didn't meet expectations and see how long it took him to play in the NHL. Maybe if he was in the NHL earlier he would have panned out, right? Who knows.

Yeah to be honest it's a double standard. The Flames couldn't possibly send Monahan back after he was leading the team in points after 9 games, but RNH did the same thing and was scoring at an even higher clip I believe, lol.

So many forwards drafted in the top 7-8 get to play their draft year, singling the Oilers out for it is silly.

The reason the Oilers are bad is because their defence has been brutal the last few years, though this season it looks somewhat decent/average at least and Scrivens/Fasth IMO is a fair upgrade in net over the gong show of Dubnyk/Labarbera. That and they haven't had enough big physical utility players to surround the younger players with ... I know people criticized the Pouliot deal, but he's brought in to be one of those bigger bodies.

Hall/RNH/Eberle/Schultz aren't the problem with the Oilers, they all contribute, it's that they have very little else on the roster that's any good. Yakupov had an off-year, that they will have to correct.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah to be honest it's a double standard. The Flames couldn't possibly send Monahan back after he was leading the team in points after 9 games, but RNH did the same thing and was scoring at an even higher clip I believe, lol.

So many forwards drafted in the top 7-8 get to play their draft year, singling the Oilers out for it is silly.

The reason the Oilers are bad is because their defence has been brutal the last few years, though this season it looks somewhat decent/average at least and Scrivens/Fasth IMO is a fair upgrade in net over the gong show of Dubnyk/Labarbera. That and they haven't had enough big physical utility players to surround the younger players with ... I know people criticized the Pouliot deal, but he's brought in to be one of those bigger bodies.

Hall/RNH/Eberle/Schultz aren't the problem with the Oilers, they all contribute, it's that they have very little else on the roster that's any good. Yakupov had an off-year, that they will have to correct.

Not only their defence, but supporting cast and vets as well. Guys like Horcoff were the only few vets that were able to mentor Hall. They brought in mediocre players like Hordichuk, Barker, Petrell, etc that did more bad than good. MacT did overpay for guys like Pouliot, but that was expected in Edmonton's market, and Free Agency day. MacT has done relatively well so far, and I'm sure Yak will bounce back. He's a hard worker.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Actually ignorance is what the Oilers have done since 2006. There hasn't been a prospect in the history of hockey that hasn't benefited by more development.

But go ahead Oilers, bring another prospect into the NHL too early and hurt his development (Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov etc etc). They could have all used more seasoning/strength.

But hey, when you are perpetually in the bottom 5, you know a thing or two about winning right? Right Kevin Lowe?

I completely disagree.

Taylor becomes a better player developing in Windsor for 2 more years?

I'll argue Nail Yakupov would be a much better player this year after spending time in the NHL then if we sent him to Jr the last two years. He has some hard lessons to learn and the OHL isn't going to teach them to him. The NHL is. Will he learn from those lessons? perhaps not.. but I don't buy the thought he'd of eventually learned them if he played two years more of Junior.

It's so easy to come on these boards and say someone busted because they were rushed. In most cases I think it's a complete load of crap and completely stereotypical.

Some cases it's the player not having the head for the NHL game.
Some take longer to get up to speed. Ryan Johansen for instance.
Some fall in seemlessly.. Taylor Hall.

Some never find their way.

Will we see an ass ton of posts claiming the Habs rushed Galchenyuk if he stalls in his development and tapers off into regular joe 2nd/3rd liner? I'd bet you would.

What about Ryan Strome.. Groomed the HFboards way! 2 years more Jr. Some AHL time(actually only half season so not sure the masses would agree. You have to go full Detroit and spend 2 seasons in the AHL to be fully HFboard approved)
What if he flat lines and doesn't become much of an NHL player.

Obviously most players need to go back to Junior. A few would probably benefit more by going to the AHL but can't. But a select few are better off served learning their lessons in the NHL.

I don't know where Draisitl fits in but I think he has the physical and mental maturity. Skating will be the key. If he can keep up the next thing for him to learn is to think the game at the NHL speed. You can't learn that in Junior.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I feel like Draisaitl already thinks at an NHL level. But if he doesn't get his acceleration up to par, it could be trouble. Jason Allison thought the game at a ridiculously high level. Once the new league came around and speed become more of a requirement, it didn't work out.

That said, I believe Draisaitl will work hard and become a star. I truly believe that.

PZA*

And people thought MacT was joking how he wanted Drasaitl wanted to be plugged as Kopitar as soon as possible. Where's that #2 centre that MacT coveted at free agency? :laugh: It's a damn shame cause I'm a fan of Draisaitl, and I do believe he should go back to junior to work on his skating and defensive play.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And people thought MacT was joking how he wanted Drasaitl wanted to be plugged as Kopitar as soon as possible. Where's that #2 centre that MacT coveted at free agency? :laugh: It's a damn shame cause I'm a fan of Draisaitl, and I do believe he should go back to junior to work on his skating and defensive play.

If you can't tell he was being sarcastic, then I feel bad for you.

PZA*

If you can't tell he was being sarcastic, then I feel bad for you.

Don't feel bad for me, feel bad for your incompetent GM who failed to obtain a quality #2 centre at free agency. I'm sorry but running Arcobello as the #2 against the "tough and big" division centre is going the opposite of what MacT's been saying all along.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Actually ignorance is what the Oilers have done since 2006. There hasn't been a prospect in the history of hockey that hasn't benefited by more development.

But go ahead Oilers, bring another prospect into the NHL too early and hurt his development (Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov etc etc). They could have all used more seasoning/strength.

But hey, when you are perpetually in the bottom 5, you know a thing or two about winning right? Right Kevin Lowe?

How were Hall and Eberles development hurt? Hall had nothing more to prove in junior as a back to back memorial cup MVP, and Ebs played out his junior career and produced well as a 20yo in the NHL. Nuge was a beast as an 18 year old but you might be right on him. Yak had been playing pro in Russia so I'm not so certain about him.

What about nurse, klefbom and marincin? Have the oilers not been patient with them?

I'd love to hear your reasoning on Hall and Eberle.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Unfortunately I think Mac t is planning on going with arcobello as a number 2 center.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Don't feel bad for me, feel bad for your incompetent GM who failed to obtain a quality #2 centre at free agency. I'm sorry but running Arcobello as the #2 against the "tough and big" division centre is going the opposite of what MacT's been saying all along.

You're acting like the NHL is starting in a few days. MacT already said they're looking for a 2C. You never know if Arco's the 2C or not. MacT incompetent? If what he's been doing is less competent than Tambo's time, then you're just ripping the oilers like I always see you do.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

If I was you, I'd be more worried about Coyotes than the Oilers. You guys are pretty much contenders on landing McDavid with your current roster. (Vrbata, Ribeiro, Morris, Greiss -> Gagner, Crombeen, Vitale, Dubnyk etc etc etc)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You're acting like the NHL is starting in a few days. MacT already said they're looking for a 2C. You never know if Arco's the 2C or not. MacT incompetent? If what he's been doing is less competent than Tambo's time, then you're just ripping the oilers like I always see you do.

It probably would be in the best interest of the Oilers to get another #2C/#3C type for depth. The majority of their forwards are natural wingers so there is no one who can swing into center in case of injury. Having Arcobello as insurance would probably be best since I assume that he's waiver eligible, stash him in OKC as the Alert 5 center. The West is filled with some big and physical teams, the Oilers aren't all that big down the middle so depth should be paramount.

I personally think Draisaitl would be best served going back to the WHL. Even in a 3rd line role where he can be sheltered, he could use refinement in the faceoff circle and in his defensive game before being asked to man the pivot in the NHL. Possibly moving him to the wing to start out might be a decent idea if he's truly NHL-ready, but the Oilers are a bit crowded there. He's an important piece going forward, put him in a position to succeed.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It probably would be in the best interest of the Oilers to get another #2C/#3C type for depth. The majority of their forwards are natural wingers so there is no one who can swing into center in case of injury. Having Arcobello as insurance would probably be best since I assume that he's waiver eligible, stash him in OKC as the Alert 5 center. The West is filled with some big and physical teams, the Oilers aren't all that big down the middle so depth should be paramount.

I personally think Draisaitl would be best served going back to the WHL. Even in a 3rd line role where he can be sheltered, he could use refinement in the faceoff circle and in his defensive game before being asked to man the pivot in the NHL. Possibly moving him to the wing to start out might be a decent idea if he's truly NHL-ready, but the Oilers are a bit crowded there. He's an important piece going forward, put him in a position to succeed.

My thoughts exactly. I like Arco, but he's simply too small to face off against the big C's in our division. All it took was one big hit from Doughty to injure him for 8 games, and Doughty one of the many big players in the division. A bridge 2C is a lot better. How Draisaitl does during preseason will be up to him, is my guess. MacT did tell him to do whatever it takes for him to play in the NHL, and he's currently in Edmonton preparing for the season, instead of going back to Germany. That shows work ethic.

GenericFan2*

Love this player, so jealous of the Oilers.

Will be interesting to see how he develops heading straight into the NHL, difficult decision; a case could be made for both sides.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Draisaitl will get a good look with the Oilers in training camp and he'll probably get 9 games at the very least. Either way he's not going to be thrown into a huge role right off the hop like the other top picks were. He's probably penciled into the 3rd line with two big veteran wingers in Pouliot and Purcell where he can ease himself into things.. If he can produce around 30 points I don't think any Oiler fans will look at that negatively. That's all we need right now.. There's no pressure on him to be an offensive standout as a rookie.

We'll see how it plays out, but right now I can't see him not making the Oilers.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I don't see why he couldn't play. Earlier in the year I head he is either playing in NHL or Europe after this past year. He may struggle early in the year with pace, but his skating should also improve by playing against tougher competition where he can't rely on just having huge shoulders and good hands to beat guys. Insulate him with some speedsters and give him some 2nd PP and he should be fine. Will fit in Eakins fitness program well from what I've heard about his off-ice dedication. But again 9 games will tell a lot too. Wouldn't be too shocked either way..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That's just senseless Oilers bashing.

Hall should have went back to junior? Give me a break.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
LD should be in the WHL next year 100%. Even putting him in easy 3rd line duties is harmful.

Monahan was rushed into the NHL playing the butter soft easy minutes and got his lunch handed to him all season. IMO it was a horrible decision to rush him, and would be a bad one to rush LD

Save a year on the ELC and let him develop properly. He has stated he wants to focus significant time on his defensive game, so let him do that it junior.

If the Oilers have to force someone into that role, force Yakimov who has a lower ceiling (and is not as good right now), but who would do a marginally worse job than LD and has already being playing against men in the KHL

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
LD should be in the WHL next year 100%. Even putting him in easy 3rd line duties is harmful.

Monahan was rushed into the NHL playing the butter soft easy minutes and got his lunch handed to him all season. IMO it was a horrible decision to rush him, and would be a bad one to rush LD

Save a year on the ELC and let him develop properly. He has stated he wants to focus significant time on his defensive game, so let him do that it junior.

If the Oilers have to force someone into that role, force Yakimov who has a lower ceiling (and is not as good right now), but who would do a marginally worse job than LD and has already being playing against men in the KHL

I would have preferred (in hindsight) for Monahan to have played in the OHL last season, but he did not "get his lunch handed to him all season".

The player he was at the end of the season was much better than the player he was at the start. His progress was stalled a bit by his foot injury, but he likely would have scored 25 goals and 40 points otherwise.

He still finished 2nd on the Flames in goals with 22. That's a good rookie season.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I would have preferred (in hindsight) for Monahan to have played in the OHL last season, but he did not "get his lunch handed to him all season".

The player he was at the end of the season was much better than the player he was at the start. His progress was stalled a bit by his foot injury, but he likely would have scored 25 goals and 40 points otherwise.

He still finished 2nd on the Flames in goals with 22. That's a good rookie season.

Think he's being :sarcasm:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Perhaps there were no centres interested in Edmonton who MacT felt were capable #2 centremen. The free agent crop this summer was pretty lackluster, and the only clear cut top six centers were, what, Stastny? And he obviously wanted to go to a winner. It isn't incompetence if the pieces we needed aren't available in free agency.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Think he's being :sarcasm:

We also have more of an advanced view of Monahan than any other prospect at this point, as well - and it doesn’t paint a pretty picture. Monahan, despite being sheltered for large points of the season, got his head bashed in raw and relatively this year. He faced easy competition - Extra Skater has only McGrattan and Colborne having worse opponents. He also started a huge amount in the offensive zone; more than 55% of his non-neutral zone face-offs were in the attacking end. Lastly, even though he had the benefit of both of those things - he got his skull caved in when he was on the ice, posting a 43.8% corsi and a -4.2% corsi rel. That rates him (league-wide) at 405/435 and 380/435, respectively. If I told you before the season that there would’ve only been thirty NHLers worse than Monahan, would you have kept him up?

I think this is where the Flames might’ve actually been harming his development. I don’t see how a player can be positively affected by going out there and spending the majority of his time a.) in his own zone b.) without the puck and c.) playing against players much better than he. I don’t believe that playing the sport with those three things dominating the amount of time he’s on the ice is good for his development. Comparable players - Max Domi, Kirby Rychel, Bo Horvat and Scott Laughton - all went back to the OHL this season and didn’t break it over their knees. I don’t think anyone was pining for Sven to be playing in the NHL full-time when he was going 2 PPG in the WHL. The physical argument - i.e. that Monahan needs to play against big boys or that he needs to be in Calgary to develop physically - is essentially null in my mind.

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/6/27/the-2014-flames-fifteen-1-sean-monahan

Ofcourse this mistake of rushing players happens in other organizations. But I see alot of people saying LD can be given easy minutes and weve seen how bad it turned out for Monahan and I dont want the replicated for LD.

No issue at all with going back to junior to round out the game and improve skating. He already put up 105 points on a horrible team. If hes traded and gets good linemates he could be looking at 115 while being a good two way guy (assuming he continue to focus on it)

PZA*

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/6/27/the-2014-flames-fifteen-1-sean-monahan

Ofcourse this mistake of rushing players happens in other organizations. But I see alot of people saying LD can be given easy minutes and weve seen how bad it turned out for Monahan and I dont want the replicated for LD.

No issue at all with going back to junior to round out the game and improve skating. He already put up 105 points on a horrible team. If hes traded and gets good linemates he could be looking at 115 while being a good two way guy (assuming he continue to focus on it)

Brian Burke, who sent Bobby Ryan, Nazem Kadri, back to juniors... disagrees with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad