C Leo Carlsson (2023, 2nd, ANA)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I heard he played a lot of wing last year, do people who watch the SHL or follow Örebro think he can be a center full-time?

He played center at the J18 level, split between center and wing at the J20 (and tore it up), and played wing exclusively at the SHL and tournament levels. I've been told center is natural position. He's playing at the U20 4N later this month but the roster has Ostlund, Bysted, Wagner, and Dower-Nilsson so he'll probably play wing there too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He played center at the J18 level, split between center and wing at the J20 (and tore it up), and played wing exclusively at the SHL and tournament levels. I've been told center is natural position. He's playing at the U20 4N later this month but the roster has Ostlund, Bysted, Wagner, and Dower-Nilsson so he'll probably play wing there too.
Hopefully he gets some center time in the SHL this season. I feel like whether or not he is projected as a true NHL center will affect his draft stock quite a bit.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
As of now, Carlsson is definitely a center in my book but the "risk" of any center becoming a winger at the NHL level is always very big.

Pettersson, Zibanejad, Lindholm etc. They all played wing in the SHL. So will Carlsson most likely.

Last edited:

Nagatoarek

Apr 18, 2022
Sweden
Örebro does have quite a few centers currently, but the quality is... lacking to say the least. He's expected to get a top 6 role this season which I think will be on the wing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they try him at center on the third line.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Regardless, NHL teams will project him at center and they should.

I'd say Carlsson looks like more of a natural center than Dvorsky or Yager.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I noticed he´s no.19 in first pre-season Ryan Kennedy´s ranking. That´s an absolute underestimation of his abilities, right now he should be in top 10 of every pre-season ranking. Obvious top 10 talent for me and I can easily imagine him as no.2 at the end of the season.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He definitely has very projectable skills. Let's see how his season develops. I see him top 5 at the moment, but lots of hockey to be played to figure it out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I noticed he´s no.19 in first pre-season Ryan Kennedy´s ranking. That´s an absolute underestimation of his abilities, right now he should be in top 10 of every pre-season ranking. Obvious top 10 talent for me and I can easily imagine him as no.2 at the end of the season.

Rankings at this point don't really matter as there are a lot of top forward prospects for the 23 draft that project very well into the NHL.

Carlsson is one of those prospects but let's see how things shake out before jumping to conclusions.

Reactions: Martinez89

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Perfect Sharks pick to continue his play with Bystedt and Havelid (and Eklund as another Swede).

That would be a great consolation prize if we don't get lottery luck.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad