C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Does anyone know the reason why he didn't accelerate his schooling in order to play in the NCAA this season? The family has had years to figure this out. The NTDP is excellent, but it doesn't present any new challenges.
Not every kid wants to skip his senior year of high school to go to college a year early. It's more than just about hockey -- it's also about taking on a college class schedule and maybe not being ready for that. It's not for everyone.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not every kid wants to skip his senior year of high school to go to college a year early. It's more than just about hockey -- it's also about taking on a college class schedule and maybe not being ready for that. It's not for everyone.

There’s pros and cons to everything too. He’s probably the best informed kid in the world on playing at Michigan in your draft year from his brother, and he decided against it. This is a historically good USNTDP team. They play college teams anyway. Maybe he wanted to stick with his boys? Either way, the program is designed to mold these guys into pro players. It’s intense. So he may even be better off for it.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Some context for the OHL's decision to decline Hughes exceptional status in 2016:

1. Hughes was 5'7'', 135 lbs at the time of his application.
2. The OHL might have been spooked by Sean Day.

In the aftermath of the decision, the Hughes family looked at it in retrospect and considered it to be a blessing.

"'Even if we got in, we didn't know if we would actually take it,' said Hughes, who has not yet decided if he will play in the OHL next season or follow his older brother Quinton to the U.S. National Team Development Program. 'It might not have been good for me to jump in the league among a bunch of 19-year-olds.' According to Hughes' father Jim, who up until two years ago was the Toronto Maple Leafs' director of player development, the OHL's decision was a 'blessing.'

Hughes, who has 153 points in 68 games this season, might have looked bored at times. But he's used the extra year of minor midget to work on his faceoff skills and become more of a twoway forward."
-
Michael Traikos, Calgary Herald, March 18, 2017
Hughes Has Scouts Drooling As Lofty Comparisons Begin
Traikos, Michael. Calgary Herald; Calgary, Alta. [Calgary, Alta]18 Mar 2017: D.3.

Some think Hughes could have been selling tickets already.

This is his second year of minor midget. A year ago, after he scored as many as 110 points with the Mississauga Rebels - official stats in the Greater Toronto Hockey League are difficult to come by - he applied for the same exceptional status current NHLers McDavid, Aaron Ekblad and John Tavares were granted to play in the OHL as 15-year-olds.

Still, the OHL denied the request. It's possible the league was gun shy after New York Rangers prospect Sean Day was granted the status in 2013, but then was drafted fourth overall in the OHL and slipped to the third round of last year's NHL entry draft, but there were more obvious reasons than that.

At this time last year, Hughes was five-foot-seven and 135 pounds. Today, he's not a whole lot bigger.

"Even if we got in, we didn't know if we would actually take it," said Hughes, who has not yet decided if he will play in the OHL next season or follow his older brother Quinton to the U.S. National Team Development Program. "It might not have been good for me to jump in the league among a bunch of 19-year-olds." According to Hughes' father Jim, who up until two years ago was the Toronto Maple Leafs' director of player development, the OHL's decision was a "blessing." Hughes, who has 153 points in 68 games this season, might have looked bored at times. But he's used the extra year of minor midget to work on his faceoff skills and become more of a twoway forward.

The extra year allowed Hughes to let the rest of his body catch up to his feet and hands. Still, he's not one of the bigger kids in minor midget. And because he's so dangerous with the puck, he also wears one of the biggest targets on his back.

"This playoff run, it's been how can we try to physically take Jack out of the game," Marlboros coach Steve Devine said of opponents' tactics. "They're not even worrying about the puck. It's been really ruthless."

Hughes, who from a young age learned "to use my brain more than my physical attributes," is Gaudreau-like greasy when it comes to evading contact. But he can't avoid it completely. In a recent playoff game, he got tagged with a hard hit and had to miss a game. When he returned, that bull's-eye on his back seemed to loom even larger.

"We were down with two minutes to go and he assisted on the tying goal and then he scored the winner and then he came to the bench and tossed his cookies," said Devine, laughing. "I think that just speaks to Jack's character. It's been very tough for him and he's still gone out there and done the job."

Nick Kypreos talked about the Hughes family considering giving Jack an extra season next year to physically mature before he jumps into the NHL. This was discussed on Tim & Sid during the Elias Pettersson-Mike Matheson conversation.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Where would he play in his d+1? OHL? College seems kinda dull for someone who has no plans in pursuing a degree. And Quinn is not going back to Michigan next season, so it won't be to go play with his brother.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Where would he play in his d+1? OHL? College seems kinda dull for someone who has no plans in pursuing a degree. And Quinn is not going back to Michigan next season, so it won't be to go play with his brother.

He has the option to jump into the AHL if need be. But I think he will almost assuredly jump right into the NHL.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Go_Krusty

Feb 6, 2004
What a mess of a thread. I'm disappointed I didn't know about the game at Dartmouth or I would have gotten tickets. Hopefully Hughes has been playing well despite the lower point totals.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
His point totals are certainly not what you'd hope for, given he's an offense first projected first overall pick.

With that being said, I completely expect him to pick it up.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
8-3 win for the U18s over Muskegon of the USHL today.

One secondary assist for Hughes on a goal by Cole Caulfield.

He also took a big hit following a drop pass at the Muskegon blue line. Jack had his head down.

Before the U18s took over:

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why does any of this matter? You either think his skill set is 1OA or you don’t. Trying to convince anyone that he doesn’t score enough points is dumb. He scored a lot last season. Is he off to a slower start this season? He is, but if you are going to try to tell me he isn’t the most likely from the 2019 draft class to be the best scorer in the NHL, I’d say that seems a pretty unreasonable argument at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It matters since it opens up the race for 1oa, Kakko isn't that far behind.

Hughes is going first. We all know it.

If you thought Kakko should go 1OA, it shouldn’t be because Hughes is temporarily out of form. It should be because you think he’s a better prospect.

Reactions: BKarchitect

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why does any of this matter? You either think his skill set is 1OA or you don’t. Trying to convince anyone that he doesn’t score enough points is dumb. He scored a lot last season. Is he off to a slower start this season? He is, but if you are going to try to tell me he isn’t the most likely from the 2019 draft class to be the best scorer in the NHL, I’d say that seems a pretty unreasonable argument at this point.

There are plenty of talented players who fall due to question marks, and there are many possible causes for those question marks.

These are kids. He could have great talent but still fall due to having a bad season or others having a better season.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

He's not a lock at all, and considering Nico Hischier went first overall not so long ago I'm amazed that people still have this line of thinking.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
At this point Hughes being a lock shouldn't be the question .it should be if he even is the consensus.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If you just take Jack Hughes through rose colored glasses and ignore his current struggles, then your making a big mistake. You cant just look at what he did last year vs kids. 100% if he does not pick up his game he wont be going first.

Reactions: Koijari

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like Hughes isn't doing himself any favors this yr. Still this guys is super talented, he should pick it up and go #1 in the 2019 draft.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hughes had a decent game today against Dubuque, with a goal and a beautiful assist on Caufield's goal. He made several other nice setups that his teammates couldn't finish, as well.

I was at the game too and thought he looked as great as usual. He is always back on D which I love. Thought Boldy had a really good game.

I'll add I kind of liked it without the music and with the lights down low.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was at the game too and thought he looked as great as usual. He is always back on D which I love. Thought Boldy had a really good game.

I'll add I kind of liked it without the music and with the lights down low.
Yes, the "sensory friendly" environment was a nice change of pace. The only thing I didn't like was no announcements for the goals. I thought they could have used the video screens to list the goals and assists. After the overly loud music the past two nights, though, it was nice being able to have a conversation without shouting at the other person.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Yes, the "sensory friendly" environment was a nice change of pace. The only thing I didn't like was no announcements for the goals. I thought they could have used the video screens to list the goals and assists. After the overly loud music the past two nights, though, it was nice being able to have a conversation without shouting at the other person.

Yeah, I agree on the announcements. That is all that was missing. Just printing the goals and penalties on the screens in that muted font would have been helpful. I will suggest it for the next game next time I'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad