Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Continue on here

Birthday: 2001-04-10
Hometown: Toronto, ON, CAN
Position: Center
Height: 5'9" Weight: 170lbs

Long considered the favorite to go #1 in the OHL Draft in 2017.

Recently Ranked #47 by TheHockeyNews list of top 100 prospects under the age of 21.

Nc1GlxR.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Admittedly don't know much about Hughes or the 2019 Draft Class. So what are the current expectations of Hughes, is he well ahead of everyone else, and basically a sure thing for #1 Overall? Also, where does the hype lie for him, McDavid level, Matthews, Dahlin, lower?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Admittedly don't know much about Hughes or the 2019 Draft Class. So what are the current expectations of Hughes, is he well ahead of everyone else, and basically a sure thing for #1 Overall? Also, where does the hype lie for him, McDavid level, Matthews, Dahlin, lower?

1st is pretty much a tie at the moment between Hughes&Kakko.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Lets split this up into parts.

Is he well ahead of everyone else? I don't think so.

Is he basically a sure thing for #1 overall? I think so.

Where does the hype lie? The hype seems to be somewhere between McDavid and Matthews.

I don't think Hughes vs. Kakko is close. Hughes is a sure-thing PPG player. He could be even better than that. Kakko could be a 70-80 point player per season, but I'm not convinced he's more than a 60 point player per season. I think a lot of people are overlooking that he doesn't have a good shot and isn't better than an average skater. Some of these height listing for him have also skewed some opinions. He's not 6'4, he's 6'2.

The players who should be able to give Hughes a run are the centers and defensemen. There's no point trying to make Hughes vs. Kakko some big battle. Its a faux-battle. Hughes is much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I wouldn't say so. Hughes had a higher PPG in the USHL than what Kakko did in the finnish junior league.
By the way, USDP scoring doesn't directly correlate to USHL scoring. I wouldn't just consider them the same thing like that.

That said, Hughes certainly is ahead of Kakko.

Reactions: VirtanenThaGOAT

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Who’s the better skater Jack or Quinn? I heard Jack in one interview claiming Quinn was a better skater. Is this true of is that just his brother talking him up? Both Hughes are phenomenal skaters from what I’ve heard.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Let's just say a lot of teams will "Lose for Hughes."

Reactions: Oddbob

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Who’s the better skater Jack or Quinn? I heard Jack in one interview claiming Quinn was a better skater. Is this true of is that just his brother talking him up? Both Hughes are phenomenal skaters from what I’ve heard.

1st is pretty much a tie at the moment between Hughes&Kakko.

Kakko is a great player no doubt, but Hughes is a tier above all other draft eligibles in 2019.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Newhook might very well go before Kakko but not before Hughes..Hughes is going first

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Interesting to see if he can play center in the NHL considering his small size. But then again, the size factor is becoming less and less important in the NHL, so it probably shouldn't stop him.

I haven't really watched him other than in the U18 final where he showed great things when he had the puck. I'm just curious how is his game without the puck? Or is he pretty much all offence at this point?

Last edited:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Going to be very similar to another Patrick Kane, IMO.

I've never thought of Kane as a great skater, other than maybe edgework, but it immediately stands out with Hughes. He seems more like a a superhero version of Keller.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Next year will be very telling, but as of now id say hes a bit ahead of Matthews, but behind Mcdavid. Id be surprised if we see a Mcdavid anytime in the next 10 years

Reactions: Jesse86436

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Next year will be very telling, but as of now id say hes a bit ahead of Matthews, but behind Mcdavid. Id be surprised if we see a Mcdavid anytime in the next 10 years
I have been fortunate enough to see both Hughes and McDavid play live a lot during their junior careers. While Hughes is an incredible talent, I agree that he's not the level of prospect that McDavid was. McDavid was an amazing talent and the best player on his team as a 15 year old in the OHL, and is the best prospect to come out of that league in many years - - and that includes Stamkos, Tavares, and Kane.

Hughes and Matthews are much closer. Matthews may get the nod due to size and it was pretty much certain he would be a center in the NHL. Both players are worthy of a #1 overall selection, though.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone doubting Hughes should watch this extended highlightreel. Kid is going to be insanely exciting I see some Datsyuk in his game no one ever brings up Datsyuk when they bring up Jack’s size. Pavel did alright. USNTDP has him listed as 5’10 on skates I’m assuming smart player no matter how “Slight”

Last edited:
Reactions: Konk and Szechwan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting to see if he can play center in the NHL considering his small size. But then again, the size factor is becoming less and less important in the NHL, so it probably shouldn't stop him.

I haven't really watched him other than in the U18 final where he showed great things when he had the puck. I'm just curious how is his game without the puck? Or is he pretty much all offence at this point?

In the offensive zone he supports his forwards really well, feet are always moving and he's always trying to get open for a pass. Does a lot of the little things right there. In the defensive zone he plays a pretty patient game. He's doesn't have crazy good stickwork like someone like Bergeron has but he hounds the puck carrier and supports his forwards well. He really excels in transition, where he either hangs back with the defence to make a rush up the ice and typically gains the zone. I'd imagine his zone entry stats are through the roof. Or he supports with speed and looks to find open ice to gain the zone. All in all after watching a staggering amount of games on HockeyTV over the last few days I think his play away from the puck is underrated. He isn't a stud defensively but he supports his forwards really well. I think he will work really good with a net front kind of presence and a high end shooter type. Especially if they are bigger bodies where he can support them rather then doing the dirty work as much. In the offensive zone though he doesn't need to support as much as he loves to have the puck on his stick controlling the play. Really likes to set up on the right half wall or below the goal line and is actually really hard to get the puck from because of his speed, stickhandling ability and edgework. He regularly outworks bigger defencemen down low. It's quite the site to see from someone his size.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
100% reminds of the Matthews year.

Though the size difference, it'll have the same hype.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

From what I've watched, I think its mostly non-existent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Matthews hype train took a bit of a dip at the start of his draft year because he went to Switzerland and away from the North American hype machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad