C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kakko has more goals & points
I guess we should change all the NHL awards to be awarded for leaders in advanced stat categories since that's apparently more important than goals, points, etc. We should probably use that for the team standings as well, hell, in the Stanley Cup Final lets award the Cup to the team who has the best Corsi instead of keeping score.

Meh. Neither are lighting the world on fire and if you switched their teams I'm guessing that Hughes would be doing better points wise and Kaako would be doing worse. If NJ can get its act together maybe a decent comparison can be made. Both will be excellent players but they are both flawed right now, which given their age is to be expected.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only time it would be expected of Hughes to get 1 more point and tie Kakko if he played 1 more game is if he was playing at a PPG pace, he's not. Kakko is beating him in points per game
You failed to miss the point. Please stop embarrassing us NYR fans.

Also, please don't use the on pace for argument here when we're only a little over 1/4 of the season. Players heat up, players get cold. Kakko doesn't have a goal in 9 games. That's the way it works through-out the season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
One more game played is a bad argument in that Hughes has still played more minutes.
It's not an argument - it's me saying this was a stupid stat to bring up right now. It's embarrassing to even point out that somebody has 1 more point.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I see about 38% (of total ice time) with Hall and about 42% with Palmieri by looking at the page for about 30 seconds

Since when is that most lol also he said 'hall AND palmieri' but that distinction is meaningless considering he's played less than half his time with either at any time at any strength. So look at the page for however long you want because it obviously doesn't help your math

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Since when is that most lol also he said 'hall AND palmieri' but that distinction is meaningless considering he's played less than half his time with either at any time at any strength. So look at the page for however long you want because it obviously doesn't help your math
Either way (and for however long) you look at it, the majority of his ice time is with New Jersey's two best players

Reactions: Dominance

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Either way (and for however long) you look at it, the majority of his ice time is with New Jersey's two best players

literally impossible if he only plays with *either* less than 50% of the time, but it doesn't matter because the claim itself is based on an obviously bad-faith argument.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
literally impossible if he only plays with *either* less than 50% of the time, but it doesn't matter because the claim itself is based on an obviously bad-faith argument.
25% of his time with both. 38% with Hall. 42% with Palmieri. 25 + 13 + 17 = 55% with at least one.

I haven’t seen the numbers myself, though.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
By majority I meant that he spends more time on ice with them than any other. But it doesn't matter because you're unwilling to recognize the facts if they don't fit your 'good-faith' narrative

Reactions: Kiekura and d rake

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
By majority I meant that he spends more time on ice with them than any other. But it doesn't matter because you're unwilling to recognize the facts if they don't fit your 'good-faith' narrative

Ah the sound of moving goalposts. It took all of 1 minute to calculate that he plays less than 50% of his time with either, let alone both. The claim is false, and the conjecture that it was used to prop up is dumb.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ah the sound of moving goalposts. It took all of 1 minute to calculate that he plays less than 50% of his time with either, let alone both. The claim is false, and the conjecture that it was used to prop up is dumb.
Is 55% less than 50?

He has one or both on the ice 55% of the time.

Reactions: Dominance

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Is 55% less than 50?

He has one or both on the ice 55% of the time.

not at even strength and not with both.

But yea, he plays around half of his time with *either* (not on a line with both as it was originally argued). What a hill to die on when trying to disparage him for not having more pts than he does lol

I also wouldn't necessarily say Hall is a suitable linemate. They play nearly identical roles. Someone with a bit of grit like Coleman would be a better fit but he's mostly tied to Zajac

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
not at even strength and not with both.

But yea, he plays around half of his time with *either* (not on a line with both as it was originally argued). What a hill to die on when trying to disparage him for not having more pts than he does lol

I also wouldn't necessarily say Hall is a suitable linemate. They play nearly identical roles. Someone with a bit of grit like Coleman would be a better fit but he's mostly tied to Zajac
No one's dying on any hills we're just discussing his usage. MVP year taylor hall would have been the ideal linemate. 2019-20 taylor hall is not that. If Hughes reaches his potential and he were to return to form they would be a match made in heaven IMO

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Taylor Hall is not his ideal linemate.

Having them both on the same line is wasting an automatic zone entry and creates uncertainty in transition, along with two weaker defensive minds. They haven't lit it up because they're too similar. More than that, they're spending too much time trying to see the ice the way the other one does, attempting to thread the weirdest passes.

Ultimately with Hall gone, Hughes will likely do better with a Zacha or Boqvist. The latter is also a playmaker but is a bit more conservative and predictable. More than that, he's shown that he's decent at retrieval along the boards. Zacha is best as the receiver of the pass off the zone entry because he's a mediocre distributor in transition but very good with static setups.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’ve only watched the Devils a couple time this year (mainly to watch Hughes) and it does seem a little bizarre that some of the players on their team don’t generate more points. When I watch guys like Hughes, Boqvist and even Miles Wood I’m astonished their point totals aren’t that great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad