C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Hughes looks like a young, undersized player with elite offensive talent playing for a garbage team. Kakko, on the other hand, looks like a Nolan-Patrick type B level talent who has been one of the most overrated 2OA picks in recent memory.
Hughes is currently behind Kakko in production. There is no excuse for that. They are far closer in talent than you think.

Reactions: king89

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I guess Devils fans need to make stuff up now to distract them from the precarious predicament they are in (now and going forward)

The only thing that may ring true is that Kakko wasn't as NHL ready as some predicted, but to go as far as to label him a bust at this point is just absolutely inane. Especially after he just came of a dominant game against your very own team

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I guess Devils fans need to make stuff up now to distract them from the precarious predicament they are in (now and going forward)

The only thing that may ring true is that Kakko wasn't as NHL ready as some predicted, but to go as far as to label him a bust at this point is just absolutely inane. Especially after he just came of a dominant game against your very own team
Everyone who saw how raw Kakko is physically knew that he won't be as ready as some others thought. He needs some serious work on his feet which hopefully will help his skating too. That's all I have to say about Kakko. Both are great, time will tell who really ends up having the better career. I hope both have a great career.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019

lol one single point on the PP isn’t dominant.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Meh. NJ doesn’t have bad contracts in context of their team or anything impeding them going forward if they get a real coach. They will suck it up and trade expiring vets and keep drafting. If they do that and avoid more quick fix players which they can do once Hall goes they will be ok.

Sylfan

Jun 22, 2016
#1 draft pick found at page 4 in prospects topic. What's going on with him? Haven't heard anything.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
What are you talking about he has one more point in one more game played . Hughes has looked far more explosive IMO
I replied to guy saying Hughes has looked like a real elite NHL talent whereas Kakko has looked like one of the worst 2nd overalls in recent history.

Just wanted the guy to have a reality check.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
We’re back to Hughes vs Kakko now huh? Well I guess they are putting up similar numbers in the same type of roles. Both got limited time on the top line and PP1.

Yeah i dont get why people keep comparing them on these threads. Here we talk about Hughes and Kakko has his own thread.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
The advanced stats literally show he’s been the better player between him and Kakko lol. Kakko has not driven play well. The devils have actually looked the worst they have all season without him in the lineup, especially on the PP which has an issue gaining the zone without him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The advanced stats literally show he’s been the better player between him and Kakko lol. Kakko has not driven play well. The devils have actually looked the worst they have all season without him in the lineup, especially on the PP which has an issue gaining the zone without him.
Advanced stats are one of the absolute worst ways to judge a player. It’s right up there with plus/minus. You can use them to make very specific points; you cannot use them to generalize the play of entire players. All you need to do is go look at the leaders of each various one - they’re not the best players in the league.

I would agree that Hughes has been better than Kakko, though.

Reactions: d rake

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
From Todd Cordell's twitter:

Jack Hughes at 5v5: • 49.90 CF% (+4.44 Rel) • 53.94 xGF% (+6.57 Rel) • 1.28 points/60 • 5.99 chances/60
Kaapo Kakko at 5v5: • 37.86 CF% (-7.30 Rel) • 32.98 xGF% (-14.92 Rel) • 0.67 points/60 • 4.5 chances/60

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Man, they both stink...

But in all seriousness, I'm a NYR fan who has watched every game this season. Kakko's 5 on 5 play is a bit meh so far. He looks like he struggles to get in on the forecheck - maybe it's the mud in his skates... But you see the talent there. Jack creates space and his 5 on 5 play is probably more NHL ready than Kakko. Both have flashes of why they were drafted high.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Hughes vs Kakko is the Crosby vs Ovechkin debate of the 2020s.

spongebob.jpg

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kakko has more goals & points
I guess we should change all the NHL awards to be awarded for leaders in advanced stat categories since that's apparently more important than goals, points, etc. We should probably use that for the team standings as well, hell, in the Stanley Cup Final lets award the Cup to the team who has the best Corsi instead of keeping score.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Man, they both stink...

But in all seriousness, I'm a NYR fan who has watched every game this season. Kakko's 5 on 5 play is a bit meh so far. He looks like he struggles to get in on the forecheck - maybe it's the mud in his skates... But you see the talent there. Jack creates space and his 5 on 5 play is probably more NHL ready than Kakko. Both have flashes of why they were drafted high.

Hughes often just skates right into people when he has the puck. He has an incredible way of finding or creating space on the ice but a lot of times it ends with the puck in the skate or stick of an opponent. That’s my only real complaint about him but honestly it’s fun to watch so I don’t mind too much. Hall gives the puck away more than him and he’s far from an 18 year old rookie.

He’s learned to take defensive responsibilities and he’s been paired with line mates that don’t suit him. Hopefully Nas gives him the chance to play on the top line because Hall and Hischier aren’t clicking this year. He needs to be put back on PP1 too.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Kakko has more goals & points
I guess we should change all the NHL awards to be awarded for leaders in advanced stat categories since that's apparently more important than goals, points, etc. We should probably use that for the team standings as well, hell, in the Stanley Cup Final lets award the Cup to the team who has the best Corsi instead of keeping score.
1 more point, in 1 more game played. I think those are some stats we should avoid talking about right now.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1 more point, in 1 more game played. I think those are some stats we should avoid talking about right now.
The only time it would be expected of Hughes to get 1 more point and tie Kakko if he played 1 more game is if he was playing at a PPG pace, he's not. Kakko is beating him in points per game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad