C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
he himself said he had to work on his shot whereas the Gretzky, Crosby’s type had a laser shot before Day 1. That was concerning (for me) prior to the draft.

His skating, COD, vision and passing is as good as it gets. Phenomenal actually

Crosby had anything but a laser shot as a rookie. His shot power was actually one of his major weaknesses (though not surprising given his short stick and flat blade).

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Hughes's shot was definitely one of the biggest weaknesses even pre-draft, and he said himself it's what he needs to work on the most. The few goals he's score have been pretty accurate (wrist)shots though (and I think few breakaways, and possibly one or two deflection), but I don't think he even shoots the puck that much. My blind estimate would be that he passes the puck 80% of the time he has it in the o-zone.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
An interesting article in the Athletic on Jack Hughes:

The Video Room: Why Jack Hughes isn't a star - yet

He breaks down many aspects of Hughes' game (with video) and concludes:

"Hughes isn’t a great player right now, even when compared to other 18-year-old rookies. But there’s nothing – to me, anyway – that suggests Hughes isn’t going to be a star. Context matters here: Hughes has already played under two head coaches and general managers, while New Jersey has traded away several vital pieces and underperformed.

Even without adjusting for context, Hughes has translated the dynamic puck-moving, pace, and passing. Every game, Hughes makes at least one jaw-dropping play reserved for top-end players. A little bit of strength will help, but improving his decision-making as he becomes more comfortable with the pace of the NHL is paramount. Those will come with time.

Make no mistake: Jack Hughes is going to be a star. It’s just taking a little bit longer than expected."

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hughes tries to force pucks because I don't believe he is confident he can beat goaltenders with his shot ATM. As he gets stronger and improves his shot I believe the points will come. He hasn't been great 5 on 4 which surprises me, once again he forces plays that would have worked at the under 18 level.

Reactions: deflowd

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Does he overpass much? As in overcomplicate plays? Those are usually very common rookie mistakes that high skill rookies make.
Everyone will see the simple pass and he will try to make the 400iq play to someone who isnt even on the screen - and it almost works most of the time

I see people saying hes gotta stop doing that entirely yet thatd diminish his creativity. He will figure out when to play simple and when not to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad